grey chow

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

mparlett1
Rank 0
Rank 0

grey chow

Post by mparlett1 »

We recently rescued 2 chows. One if a black and the other one is grey with blue eyes. Just like the color grey. I have been trying to find picks or info on a grey chow but can't find anything. Is this just a really rare color?
DrewBear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: grey chow

Post by DrewBear »

The official color designation is blue. Search "blue Chow Chow" and you'll find plenty of info. I'm pretty sure it's not rare.

http://www.rhenegade-chows.com/Chow_color_and_Coat.html
'Bear' 1996 - 2011
mparlett1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mparlett1 »

Ive search blue chows and he doesn't look like any of the pics.
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

Do you have papers on him?...sometimes bad breeding can cause issues with colors....
Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida
mparlett1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mparlett1 »

No papers. He is a rescue. Ill have to try and post a pic.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Post a pic. Grey is not a recognized color. It could be sun bleaching of a blue/black or it could be a health issue that causes the fur to silver.
chunkymonkeys
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chunkymonkeys »

Thanks for rescuing 2 chows! Are they boys or girls? How are they adapting to their new home? What are their names? So glad you rescued them and gave them a home :D
decacraft
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by decacraft »

Hello everyone,

I hope I'm not hijacking the thread but I also have a similar question. A friend of mine sent me this two photos.

Is that a recognized chow color? In the first picture it looks like cinnamon to me but I'm not sure. Any ideas?
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

Chow puppies that are red or cinnamon are very hard for most people to tell what exact color they will be as adults. That's because their puppy fur will be different that their adult fur. Look at Brutus below and you can see he got more redder when his adult fur came in. Our last chow looked redder as a pup than when she got older. So you never know what exact color they will become. Your pup looks cinnamon to me but again red/cinnamon chows can change shades from picture to picture depending on light also. Dark red chow aren't that common either by what I have seen.

Brutus
Constantina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Constantina »

Blue Chow Chows are a dilute of black. They aren't exactly color blue but come in varying shades of gray from charcoal to silver. The Grey eyes indicate he/she is either a blue chow or a blue shaded fawn. There are red fawns and blue fawns.
Doppler
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Doppler »

You got a lovely pup there and thanks for rescuing them! Pretty interesting to see when he's fully grown. Do you have names of them?
"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. "
ImageImage