Is it common for Chows to itch a lot?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

LovemyChowChow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Is it common for Chows to itch a lot?

Post by LovemyChowChow »

We've had our Chow for 3 months now and been concerned with how often he itches. The vet said its dry skin and recommended fish oil. The omega-3 treats we've been giving him for over a month now seem to be helping somewhat however, were still concerned. He mainly itches on the lower back area right above his tail. Were new Chow Chow parents and want to make sure our baby is ok. Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Crumpet
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Is it common for Chows to itch a lot?

Post by Crumpet »

I know that 2 of my dogs itch frequently, not due to fleas, and that when I give them sardines I see a marked reduction in the amount of scratching they do.
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

They shouldn't itch a LOT. It very well could be allergies. My mix boy has allergies. Excess itching can and will cause bald patches.

I'd get a second opinion from another vet.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
DrewBear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by DrewBear »

Skin issues are common in Chows. There are many possible reasons and it's often difficult to isolate the primary cause. Aside from obvious things like flea/insect bites (a single bite could cause itching for some time) and foxtail/burrs, the most common causes seem to be allergy related. Did the vet say what might cause dry skin in a pup? How often (if you have) & how do you bathe him? What do you feed him? What's the climate where you live?
'Bear' 1996 - 2011
Doppler
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Doppler »

Here we add a teaspoon of coconut oil on Doppler's meals which greatly helped on his dry skin and tummy problems.
"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. "
ImageImage