Melanoma in chows

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Melanoma in chows

Post by ski »

Took Loki to the vet today as I recently noticed a small mole-like growth on his neck. We have an appointment to have it removed on Thursday and I hope and pray it is nothing serious. My vet told me Chows are prone to melanoma, often oral melanoma. She checked his gums and mouth and did routine blood work. I thought I was pretty knowledgeable about chows and she caught me by surprise as I did not know this was an issue. Fortunately Loki's mouth was clear and we will deal with whatever the results turn out to be. Loki and i have a nightly ritual..after Loki has had his last walk of the day I take off his collar and give him a neck massage...that's how I found this growth. Our chows are so very hairy...be sure to check their skin from time to time.
Goose
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Melanoma in chows

Post by Goose »

Hi Ski

Whilst my Chow does not have Melanoma she does suffer from Melanin production around her ears. It looks just like very dusty or flaky dried blood that you would see around a scab. My girl has a syndrome called UVD which is in the Spitz breed of dogs. We have tested her skin deposits and it comes back as nothing but well spotted anyway and I wish you all the best.

Christian