Excremental extortion

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Excremental extortion

Post by Sarahloo »

We all know what emotional extortion is (when a loved one scr*ws us over knowing we have to go on loving them anyway), but only us Chow lovers know about excremental extortion, when our Chow has to go desperately but holds it and holds it to make its walks last forever. :_| :wall: :evil: :_| :_| :_| :evil: Loo has been p*ssing me off big time lately. I did everything right, never turned around right after he p**ped, never drew undue attention to a successful p**p, and yet he plays me like a fiddle. I just spent 45 minutes walking him in the icy dark and the little *** took the p**p home with us. Now, ten minutes after the walk, he's ready to p**p and go for a walk. :evil: :evil: :evil: Guess what, I'm not, I'm tired from stumbling through the dark for almost an hour.
He doesn't mind. If I don't walk him till I drop, he just p**ps in the basement (which I want to avoid). It' s a win-win situation for him - either his walkies last forever or he takes a nice d*mp in the warm basement.
Thanks for letting me vent! Those chows really play us like marionettes! :evil:
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Excremental extortion

Post by 612guy »

I would put him in a crate or confine him in a small place so he won't do his business inside the house. After a while he will learn but it's up to you to change the rules. Don't risk your health walking on ice and possible falling when he should be able to find the spot in a reasonable time and place. All chows we've had will go in the same spot in our yard. Find that spot and just go back each time for a try. If not go back in the house and try later.

Good Luck,

Brutus
ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ski »

Ah yes...all too familiar. The only time Loki poops without drama is when it is raining heavily. He absolutely hates rain and knows we won't come back home until he "goes". He does try my patience!!!
Constantina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Constantina »

Yup my Chestnut only poops when she is ready to go home. Between twenty to forty minutes into the walk. I know this because she yanks me towards the path home right after. Thank goodness we live in the tropics and there is no snow. When it rains though she can hold it till the weather clears a bit and runs to poop on the grass.
lrfishwick
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by lrfishwick »

Our 4 month old pup recently had to spend one night (two days) at the boarding kennels - on our return the owner greeted me with a worried expression and a strange request of "how often does Toby generally poop?" - my reply was "generally everytime he eats :) :) " !! It would seem that during his little vacation Toby had completely refused to poop (not sure what he would have done if we had been away for a week) - I am now rethinking any stays away from home. Toby has one favourite spot in the garden - he will not poop whilst out on a walk (and definitely not with strangers around). Needless to say he was very happy to be home and swiftly escaped to the garden.
ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ski »

Yes, indeed and that is why we can't kennel Loki. We have a walker who comes to the house and thankfully Loki approves of him.
twistedcaduceus
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by twistedcaduceus »

I don't know if this will work for your case. My Shadow was very well trained in paper/potty pads as a pup even before I got her from the breeder but as soon as winter hits and snow came, she won't poop outside at all. She is now 15 months old and reliably trained to poop on a litter box. I made a huge litter box out of a 45gallon sterelite box. It also works because whenever I work 12-hour days, I know that she is not gonna be holding her poop/pee for that long or there would not be any accidents in the house.