A chow and a toy dog

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

kuma_chan
Rank 0
Rank 0

A chow and a toy dog

Post by kuma_chan »

im thinking of getting another dog so my big boy won't get too bored. in his previous owner's house there were a lot of dogs (chows, spitz, husky, etc) so it must have been different for him to be by himself now. will it be ok if i bring in a smaller dog like a maltese or a bichon or a bigger one like another chow will be better?

anyone here who has a chow and a toy/small dog?
sue
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: A chow and a toy dog

Post by sue »

Yes in the past small to medium size i have had a female Chow with a Female Corgi & also a Female Cairn Terrier.I have two male Chow's aged 8 & a female Cairn Terrier aged 2.If you choose a small breed if your getting a puppy then be aware of the size difference in the first few months.When Shabs arrived I supervised all the time they were together the twins wanted to play with her but she was little so it wasn't till she was 4 months old & big enough that she had the full run of the house & garden.I don't think size matters its personality the twins were used to my previous female Cairn being in charge she ruled the roost.So i said to the breeder I want to look at the most strong, bossy, dominant little girl you have in the pack.I went to see her & thought she's the one & she has fitted in perfectly
JasonandNat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JasonandNat »

We has a Pekinese rescue her for several months about a year old, 25 lbs. ShenLung our large male Chow is 85lbs and those two became best of friends. Everytime he pounced on her while they played we were sure she died, but nope, still fighting, so we started calling her zombie. She actually lives next door now and they are still great friends, 3 Yorkies on the other side love him as well. Then he has FuShiLu our female Chow now 11 mths and 50lbs that indulges him in bear wars daily. ;)
Crumpet
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Crumpet »

My chow gets along very well with my toy mix as well as 2 toy dogs that my friend has. He has grown up with them, so that may make a difference.
JammyJoy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JammyJoy »

We have a chow and a German Shepherd and they get along so well. They would always play outside.
Doppler
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Doppler »

Our Doppler came from a family with 4 dogs, they have two boxers and a corgi(his best buddy) there and they get along so well until a family problem came and they needed a better home for him. Here he have many doggie friends and joining playdates so he still enjoy a lot of dog companions but he's the only dog at home. A night time whenever we try to relax he still wanting attention which we thought he needed a dog companion at home but at the moment we can't let another dog in yet so we looked for toys that would challenge him. Since he love balls, these nice interactive dog toys are great for for him, his fave are the extreme KONG and the everlasting starmark ball that dispenses treats. At the park, we have a small group and toy dogs including the cute mini-dachshund are his fav playmates.
"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. "
ImageImage
Kspurlock
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Kspurlock »

In my experience it takes a little patience and some firm "NO'S" but it all worked out in the end. We have 2 chows, a bulldog/jackrussell mix, a pomeranian, and a cat. The Pom is a bossy old fart (sigh) but I chalk it up to this being his 4th home and him not wanting to be part of the puppies shenanigans. He mostly sits on my lap and yells at everyone or investigates when it gets too rough. But my little mix is only 28 lbs and plays well with the chows. I would say either way is great as long as you take the time and properly introduce and train them. We have some scuffles from time to time but they are getting very few and far between.

Every animal should have another 4 legged friend. It makes life just that more entertaining and fun! :)