Bed Jumper

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Truffle
Rank 0
Rank 0

Bed Jumper

Post by Truffle »

My 1yr old chow likes to jump on my bed and hangout with my cat for 10-15min, he then invariably gets too hot and jumps off. My bed is kinda high off the ground, 2.5-3ft to the top of the mattress, so I was wondering if I should be worried about him hurting himself? He jumps maybe 5 times a day. Should I put something on the ground to cushion his landing? Or is it just the small dogs that need that type of precautions?

wokman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Bed Jumper

Post by wokman »

I would get a pillow for both of them and make the bed off limits. One bad landing from jumping off the bed could cause damage that would get worse with age if not immediate injury. Lucky you; not all Chows get along with Cats and my advice may cause your Chow to turn on your Cat if the Cat will not stay off the bed. Maybe you could have a ramp or steps for your Chow to get on and off the bed. They are two content looking bed Bugs. :lol:
ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ski »

I am so impressed!! First of all, Loki couldn't jump on a bed UNLESS he was chasing a cat!!! I wish my cat and chow could be in the same room let alone the same surface
Truffle
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Truffle »

Thanks for the response; I think I will just get him a ramp/steps because I really love having him on my bed :D

And as for the kitties, Truffle hates cats, birds and squirrels when he is outside, but really likes the two Abyssinians I have, especially Margot :) He did chase them and bark at them when we first got him, but with some training he stopped that and then started developing a friendship :) Margot sometimes rubs against him for cuddles ha ha and I caught him grooming her on several occasions :)
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Pinoy51 »

Super cute :D
Just proofs it again: a Chow can just do anything, with proper training and if he likes it of course. :)
Also saw a Chow enjoy his rounds in a swimming pool, the other day.
Nothing is impossible when it comes to Chows.
Best regards
Pinoy51
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

One of the sweetest memories of my Tess was when she slept in our bed. She would nuzzle in there when Mike & I went to bed & make her own space pushing us this way & that, going around in circles until she was comfortable. She would jump in the bed when I said "I am going to take a shower." She had such long legs. When we moved up here in the north country she was an older girl, no longer being able to jump in our bed. She would move from my side to Mike's side of the bed to get comfortable on the throw rugs beside our bed.

When Matt saw Lilly he laughed at her because she had such short legs. Lilly lays in back of our bed & moves to our designated sides. The only way she would be able to sleep in our bed was if Mike picked her up & set her back down on the floor. We have talked about that. Lilly has given me lots of happy times, away from my memories of Tess of which I have to depart, some day, some time.
Doppler
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Doppler »

That's surely fun to hang with a big chow at the bed but that's definitely too high and could cause some health problem soon. The best thing to use is a ramp but that needs supervision, especially when he get too excited and jump off immediately.
"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. "
ImageImage