Could it be?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Could it be?

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Anyone know if the route of Jasper's problems could be an allergy to the rabies vaccine? That's the only vaccine he receives (seeing as it's required by law) and it seems that his condition has always gone from being perfectly fine before he receives the vaccine to crappy a few weeks after... Seems like a likely cause to me... Anyone else got any thoughts on this?
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Could it be?

Post by ski »

I had this problem with a dog we had some years ago. Murphy was a mix breed rescue and was fine until about a week or two after her vaccination. We feel strongly it was a reaction. We sought out a holistic vet who helped after our vet wasn't able to get her condition under control. The holistic vet helped and put Murphy on a special diet and vitamin supplements. We continued to visit our regular vet as well. It was a long recovery.
maikinda
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by maikinda »

I think it could be related to the rabies shot.

Laura
Attachments
Micah tag.jpg
Micah tag.jpg (12.41 KiB) Viewed 8928 times
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Thanks. I'll definitely be talking to the vet about this.
Jess
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Yes it definetly could be. If the vet argues about it, having him/her run the test to see how high his immunity to rabies really is. It sometimes happens that the vacine is given too often and dogs build an allergy to it because their immune systems are over stimulated by the amount of anti-bodies the vacine is forcing them to produce. The vacine is actually good for three years every single time it is given. But many cities and counties make it necessary to give the shot every two years or in some areas even every year, and for many dogs this is too often. The test is to find out if a dog really needs the vacine and if they don't the vet can indicate that on the certificate and usually it is legal then for them to be licensed.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Thanks Victory! I'll definitely be talking to the vet about it when we finally get him back in (hard to get an appointment right now).
Jess
Sydney
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Sydney »

Hi again Jess:

I just read this post about the rabies shot and yes......it is possible. Where we live the shot is only given every 3 years. Some vets may not tell you that they don't need Rabies on a yearly basis. The problem with a lot of the vet's is that they don't want to offer it is because they want the owners to come in for well checks and a lot of people won't do that. I hope you can check into this as soon as possible.

Syd