General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

ccyang
Rank 0
Rank 0

shedding...flaky skin..???

Post by ccyang »

Hi everyone,

Pong is now 4 years old...always been healthy.....up until last month or so (maybe last 2 months), I've noticed he has a big bald patch on his chest. As his chest is now hairless, I've felt a bump which I wasn't sure if it was just a muscle that I now could feel better due to the lack of hair. I've brought Pong to the vet right away to get him checked & the vet said she thinks the lack of hair is due to the harness. Also, she thinks the lump is nothing to worry about...maybe just some muscle that I never noticed up until now (because of the lack of hair). The vet even checked with her co-workers to see if everyone agrees...and everyone seemed to find it was nothing to worry about.

Anyways, 2-3 weeks have passed & I've noticed that Pong has been shedding like crazy. His hind legs are almost hairless.
Also, everytime I brush hime (3-4 times a week), he sheds everywhere now.....big chunks....never ending big chunks of hair....his winter coat. I don't think it's normal because it's now winter here in Montreal. I've also noticed that he has lots of skin flakes/dandruff on his back.

Today, I've noticed that whenever I brush his back..it's not only the fluffy hair that comes out anymore, it seems his "normal straight hair' comes off also.
With every chunk of hair, there's lots of skin flakes. Also, if I look closely, I can see little scabs on some of the hair roots.
I've included a picture of what it looks like.

I really hope some of you can help me have a better understanding of what's happening to Pong.
He hasn't changed his food since the last few years, he eats Orijen Adult Food.
He has always worn the same harness for the last few years also, he wears the Gentle Leader no pull from Easy Walk.

THe only thing that I could think of is that I gave him a bath maybe 3 months ago. He doesnt get lots of baths, only once a year because he hates water.

Thank you all in advance for any help anyone has,
Ching
Attachments
pong_hair
pong_hair
photo.JPG (118.36 KiB) Viewed 6121 times
ccyang
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: shedding...flaky skin..???

Post by ccyang »

sorry I forgot to mention that Pong's attitude hasn't changed....he eats normal....he loves to play outside in the snow even though he's not as fluffy as the past years....

Also, another detail that I'm not sure if it's helpful...this summer, I brought him to the vet to clean his teeth. They had to put him to sleep temporarily so they could clean his tartar. Even though the vet clearly explained to me that he would recover quickly the same day when he wake ups, that didn't happen. Pong actually took almost 2 weeks to fully recover. He had trouble walking / lying down / sleeping / eating for 2 whole weeks. It broke my heart and makes me regret bringing him to do preventive teeth cleaning.

thanx again!
Ching
Constantina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Constantina »

That looks familiar! Looks like a crashed immune system which caused overpopulation of mange mites. Look up scabies or mange. My Chestnut was stressed when hubby and I went on a 3 week cruise and we came back to a hairless chest dog with missing chunks of hair on her paws, head and hips, white flakes, secondary bacterial infection from demodex mange. Change your vet and get a second opinion. Good Luck!
ccyang
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ccyang »

Hi Constantina,

Thanx for your reply.

I googled mange for more informations & Pong doesnt seem to show any of the symptoms of itching or scratching. Also, his skin doesnt seem irritated or reddish.

is there any other possibility or reasons that would cause this?

thanx again for anyone's feedback
Ching
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

I would also suggest taking Pong to another vet & have blood work done & also have the vet take a scrapping sample of his skin for dx. Does sound like a breach in his immune system.
maikinda
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by maikinda »

Have you considered doing a thyroid test on Pong? http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/hypothyroidism-in-dogs I would also try an apple cider rinse after a bath. http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues ... .html?pg=3

Hope you find out what is going on.

Laura
Attachments
Micah tag.jpg
Micah tag.jpg (12.41 KiB) Viewed 6079 times
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Years back one of my males developed something that looked similar around the base of his tail. As i recall, it was bacterial in nature, and as they scratch, lick, whatever, it can spread to other areas of the skin.
ccyang
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ccyang »

hi everyone...

I finally found a dermatologist and was able to get an appointment only on Jan 2. I cant wait...seems so far away. I really hope it's nothing bad :cry:
Constantina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Constantina »

Any news? I hope Pong is well. :( keeping fingers crossed.
ccyang
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: shedding...flaky skin..??? (Alopecia X?)

Post by ccyang »

Constantina wrote:Any news? I hope Pong is well. :( keeping fingers crossed.
hi Constantina,

thanx for asking.
The dermatologist said Pong seems to have Alopecia X.
We also did a blood test to check his thyroid. As for his lump, we took a sample of the cells to have it checked up also.
Both vets (general and dermatologist) dont think the lump is anything to worry about. As of today, we're still waiting for both tests' results.

If it's only Alopecia X (which the dermatologist thinks its the case with Pong), we are gonna start a treatment with Melatonin to encourage his hair growth.
She told me that there's only a 40-60% chance that it'll help his hair growth....but she told me it's only temporarily, coz we can't really stop his hair loss.

As long as it's only cosmetic, I'm good coz I just want Pong to be healthy.

Does anyone have or had a chow w Alopecia X? If yes, what treatments or what tips do you guys have to offer?

Thanx again!!!!