General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

piligrim
Rank 0
Rank 0

Chow Chow compatibility

Post by piligrim »

Hi everyone

I am planning to buy chow chow. I have already Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. I am wondering if this 2 breeds will be able live together. If someone has this kind experiments please share with me.
thanks in advance
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Chow Chow compatibility

Post by 612guy »

DON'T BUY A CHOW IF YOU ARE ATTRACTED TO THE BREED *CHIEFLY* BY ITS LOOKS.

DON'T BUY A CHOW IF YOU ARE UNWILLING TO SHARE YOUR HOUSE AND YOUR LIFE WITH YOUR DOG.

DON'T BUY A CHOW IF YOU DON'T INTEND TO EDUCATE (TRAIN) YOUR DOG.

DON'T BUY A CHOW IF YOU LACK LEADERSHIP (SELF-ASSERTIVE) PERSONALITY

DON'T BUY A CHOW IF YOU ARE FASTIDIOUS ABOUT THE NEATNESS OF YOUR HOME

DON'T BUY A CHOW IF YOU DISLIKE DOING REGULAR GROOMING.

DON'T BUY A CHOW IF YOU DISLIKE DAILY PHYSICAL EXERCISE.

DON'T BUY A CHOW IF YOU BELIEVE THAT DOGS SHOULD RUN "FREE".

DON'T BUY A CHOW IF YOU CAN'T AFFORD TO BUY, FEED AND PROVIDE HEALTHCARE FOR ONE.

DON'T BUY A CHOW IF YOU WANT A TOTALLY UNAGGRESSIVE AND UNPROTECTIVE DOG.

DON'T BUY A CHOW IF YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO COMMIT YOURSELF FOR THE DOG'S ENTIRE LIFETIME.

If all the preceding "bad news" about Chows hasn't turned you away from the breed, then by all means DO GET A CHOW! They are every bit as wonderful as you have heard!

I would suggest get a chow that is opposite gender to your King Charles. We have a female boxer with our male chow and they are very compatible.

Brutus
piligrim
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by piligrim »

612guy wrote: I would suggest get a chow that is opposite gender to your King Charles. We have a female boxer with our male chow and they are very compatible.
thank you for your respond but I wanted to know about King Charles and Chow and not Boxer and Chow ...
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

You are going to have a hard time finding someone with a King Charles and a Chow. But many with a Chow and another breed that gets along just fine.

Brutus
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

I cannot specifically tell you about Chows and King Charles...however, i own two Chows currently and have had 4 total over the years. My brother owns English Toy Spaniels, which are about as close as you will get to King Charles...

So, let me say this as a generalization...English Toys/King Charles are a fragile breed. They are very thin boned and subject to back issues and leg fractures. They are mild tempered and not 'playful'. A Chow is very strong boned and will outweigh your Toy breed by at least 35-40 lbs. They tend to be dominant in nature and can be physical in exerting themselves.

Not to say that they wouldn't get along, because they could, but even a mild puppy play scenario could result in some pretty serious injury to you KC. If they decided not to be compatible, you would have a serious mess on your hands.

KC's do not tend to have 'small dog' temperments, meaning they don't think they are big dogs in little bodies, but still, i don't think its a great mix. You would need a Chow with an absolute fantastic disposition and there is no way to guarantee that behavior. Personally, i wouldn't risk it.

My dogs have been around my brothers dogs, but always well guarded and on lead. They have never displayed any sort of aggression towards them, but i also wouldnt allow any free reign or unsupervised time. They are very well behaved, but i just imagine the worst, so i am on constant guard. As housemates, it would be too much for me.
piligrim
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by piligrim »

thank you very much Rory's Dad
twistedcaduceus
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by twistedcaduceus »

It doesn't matter what the dog breed is at the end of the day compatibility depends on the specific dog(s). You have to check whether your current dog is dominant/submissive, or heck even just tolerant of the potential adoptee. Dogs of the same breed or size does not assure compatibility and vice versa. As an example, we used to have a 100+ lb German shepherd and he was a big ball of fluff compared to our 15lbs *Censored Word* tzu and they are pretty much best buds. However I've seen friends' chihuahuas that will kill each other on sight even when they are owned by the same family (which is stupid to begin with coz there are tons of training that can be done to change that).

Best thing to do is bring your dog to the adoption/breeder's place, let them play and see how it goes. Do the same with the new dog going to your house and see if your KCS acts differently. If they're both fine, then go ahead.

As the other posters here said already. The difference in size might be a factor due to chowlings being small but bulky and heavy but other than that, it should be fine if you test both the new dog and your current dog.

Good luck and please share the pics if you do decided to proceed.
piligrim
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by piligrim »

twistedcaduceus wrote:It doesn't matter what the dog breed is at the end of the day compatibility depends on the specific dog(s). You have to check whether your current dog is dominant/submissive
my dog very submissive but as Rory's Dad mention not 'playful'. he never play outside when we meet other dogs. does why I doubt about it ...
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

The playdate test is absolute BS. 1st off, you have a dog out of his element. Show me a Chow that reacts in the same manner in a strange place with new people as he does in his own home. They are territorial and protective of their spaces. A chow most likely wont even bait the same way once he is outside his comfort zone, never mind how he might react to a potential housemate.

AND breed types certainly do matter. Dogs are fluid, and while yes it does matter to a certain degree on the individual personality, they will be dominant or submissive based on what is presented to them. Chows present themselves in a certain manner. Much of their intimidation is due to appearance. They walk differently than other breeds and carry themselves with an attitude. They are very self aware, and when presented with what they view as an inferior opponent, they will assert themselves. If an opposing dog is viewed as larger or stronger, they will generally posture to back a threat back rather than actually agress.

If you were talking about a small dog with a more aggressive tendency that i might be more supportive, but i will stand by my original post. I don't see that mix as being successful. You risk serious injury to your KC.
Clovers_Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Clovers_Mom »

I do agree with many of the comments above, especially with Rory's dad... but my personal experience with Clover ... Her 1st interaction with another dog/playmate was a Cavalier King Charles Span.- however, the designer breed mix... Honestly I cannot remember which designer breed the CKCS However much smaller than Clover full grown.. (Clover is a small female chow, now - little older than 2 yo- then she was a 12 wk old pup) she had a great time with her. We have seen Sophie In the past year and Clover was ready to play... Given she hadn't seen Sophie in well over a year.. It was kind of sweet.. Anyways... I don't know what it is.. Clover loves to play with the smaller dogs- as well as the bigger dogs ..(well except boxers but that's a whole other story..) point being in my long drawn out reply... I really think it is dependent on the dog & how he/she will react to any other dog in his territory, and how the 2 personalities will mesh within the 1 household... I think the only viable option would be to test it out for a night on your dogs terms, not of the breeders if that was any way possible..