2 month old Chow

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

sharamae!3
Rank 0
Rank 0

2 month old Chow

Post by sharamae!3 »

I have just purchased a 2 month old female Chow for my 14 Year old Daughter. We have a boxer who is VERY well trained. I just dont know what to expect or how to train a female chow. I keep hearing how delicate they are but dont allow them to take over the home. I just want some good solid tipps on how to potty-train her. Can anyone help? I will take all the help I can get right now,

thank you....
chunkymonkeys
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: 2 month old Chow

Post by chunkymonkeys »

Welcome to the site! Boy, your holiday season just got amped up big time! At the top row of tabs, please press FORUM, and the third section down is Caring for Chows. There are so many tips listed there, you just have to squeeze in the time to read them. Don't hesitate to post any questions; a teacher once told my class that the only stupid question is the unasked question. Again, welcome!
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Re: 2 month old Chow

Post by Victory »

Potty training a chow is pretty easy, they are naturally clean and they don't like being dirty or soiling where they live. The most important thing to remember is that your girl is a baby, she needs to go out a lot, before and after every meal, (she should be eating 3-4 times a day) after every nap, after all play. When you take her out and she goes, praise her a lot, make a big deal over it. You can even teach her a command to go, my two know the words "go potty" it's helpful when they are older and you need them to go quickly.

Chows are not "delicate" but they don't respond to negative training, you never hit, yell at or use hurtful training methods. Positive reinforcement is best with chows. If you read the training section you'll read a lot about positive methods as well as NILF which works well too.

Another thing to remember is she is cute right now and little and easy to control. But she is a chow as an adult she will weigh between 45 and 60lbs, what is a minor irratation or cute in a puppy, is not cute in an adult. If you don't want a grown dog on your furniture, don't allow the puppy on it, if you want her to sleep in her own bed and not yours don't allow the puppy to sleep on the bed now. Biting in a grown dog is bad, don't allow the puppy to bite, nip or any bossy mouthing. See the sticky on bite inhibtion for training on discouraging biting. She should be able to learn this in two days. Also teach her her name, this will help with future training.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!