"Christmas Present"

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

"Christmas Present"

Post by Me & Tess »

Every Christmas morning Tess would have a package under the tree, it was always something to eat. We would go down to the tree and tell her "Christmas present," give it to her and she would rip and tear until she got it open. Since Tess was a "Chow" hound it was easy to find something she would like. She wasn't much for toys; balls & such. Now here comes Lilly, she too doesn't like toys & has a sensitive tummy. So, I thought what can we give her...... I was in the thrift store yesterday and there I found a huge tea cup. Lilly knows that I drink my tea first thing in the morning. She tries to get a taste of it & of course I pull it away, a couple of times I wasn't fast enough. She knows the shape of a cup. I got an idea, her own tea cup, & herb tea! I have given her warm mint and chamomile tea in the past & she lapped it up! That will be her "Christmas present." I gave here a sneak preview yesterday with mint tea & she loved it. Now, I reference it as "Christmas present." Her tea cup is now safely hidden away until Christmas morning. http://ottawavalleydogwhisperer.blogspo ... herbs.html
Constantina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: "Christmas Present"

Post by Constantina »

Awww. You acknowledge them as individuals and find presents they would really appreciate. A true blue (chow) mommy. Other people just give their dogs (and even children) the same thing. Because the oldest like it they assume it's the formula to making everyone happy. I gave Chestnut a Christmas shawl so she would stop messing with the decor at home. It works! She loves it and carries it around as she watches the workers install the tree as well as the house decor.

I think Chows think more like people/children than any other breed.
ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ski »

I wish I had a chow that responded to a favorite "something". We have had Loki for 8 years now and in all that time I have never found anything that interests him except our CAT. He doesn't like toys, beds, most treats. I absolutely love this dog and would love to find something to get him excited
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

Ski, Loki does have a favorite "something." Loki has you! In the beginning when we adopted Lilly, she didn't seem interested in anything except food, she wouldn't even respond to my touch, reminding me of an autistic child, she would just stare at the wall (at times that brought me to tears). Lilly does have a high prey drive (that seems to be her main interest) but I don't think that the local critters appreciate that. I did see a catnip mouse at the feed store & wondered if Lilly would like that. That article said that catnip is also good for dogs; a catnip mouse in a Christmas tea cup, that could be the beginning of a good story. :wink:
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

Lucky Lilly! I can just picture her drinking her tea! :D
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

I nixed the catnip mouse as it could be a chocking hazard. I have some yarn left from some projects, so I started Lilly a "shawl." I may put a little anise extract on it. I read that dogs like the scent of anise, that it like catnip for dogs. When Tess baked with me one of the cookies I made was anise biscotti. We would share nibbles of the biscotti in the evening. Herb tea dipped anise biscotti may be a new treat for Lilly & me. \:D/