My baby Chow's weight.

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Stathis
Rank 0
Rank 0

My baby Chow's weight.

Post by Stathis »

I wanted to ask you guys what is the normal weight for a 2 months ( 2 months and 10 days actually) chow chow.My little is at around 4 kg.Is that normal ? Should i be worried about anything ? she looks really healthy eats all her food and never had any health issues till now.
christina chow mum
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: My baby Chow's weight.

Post by christina chow mum »

Errmmm, welcome to the Forum with your baby chow girl and please don't take this amiss....but have you taken her to your Vet yet? The first thing he will do is weigh your puppy and you all go on from there.

You said: "she looks really healthy eats all her food and never had any health issues till now".

That's fantastic!. =D= =D=
You would not believe how many chowlie owners would just love to be able to think, let alone write, those words....

So go see the Vet, be happy, love your Chow and let us know how she grows! \:D/ \:D/
Take care!
Loving a Chow means never having to say your'e sorry.
Stathis
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Stathis »

Well of course i have taken her to the vet and he did weigh her but he didnt really say if there is sth wrong.Im was just wondering cause when we were taking a walk we met a 3 year old chow and the owners told me that their chow was much bigger than her when it was her age,and thats why i asked if its normal for her to be 4 kilos at that age,in case its not :P
Rococo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Rococo »

Chows come in all sizes, yours just seem to be on the smaller side. My chow was the runt of the litter, and he also weighed 4kg at the same age, but ever since we got him, he's been gaining weight overnight. At the moment, he weighs 30+ pounds at 5 months -- again, not humongous, but that should give you an idea about your little one's growth.
christina chow mum
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by christina chow mum »

Just a last "quickie" from me on this. I checked my Ming's health book and see that when he was exactly 2 months old he weighed just 3 kilos. He had been through a dreadful experience before I finally got him having been mistreated etc. and was very hungry but I remember that my Vet told me then he should have been about 4 1/2 - 5 kilos for a male chow when he first examined him. I heard that female chows do weigh less than their brothers. I suppose it also depends on the size of her parents and the fact that all chows are different. :) :)
Loving a Chow means never having to say your'e sorry.
Constantina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Constantina »

The girls are visibly smaller than the boys. My chestnut was the biggest of the litter and weighed 5.8 kg at 9 weeks. Her sisters ranged from 4 to 5 kg. so that is just about right.