General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

reddog
Rank 1
Rank 1

Missing My Baking Assistant

Post by reddog »

My beloved Chloe crossed over the Rainbow bridge 1/26/11 :(

November has always been my Christmas cookie & candy making month. If they aren’t done by the first of December then they aren’t made. You’ll find me in the kitchen every night after dinner and most of the day on Saturdays & Sundays baking away and listening to Christmas carols playing on my stereo. :)

Chloe had been my official mixing bowl cleaner, beater licker and cookie taster for over 13 years. She’d sit off to the side of me, watching and waiting patiently until the cookie dough was made. I’d hold the beaters for her to lick clean. After all of the dough was out of the bowl I’d set it on the floor for her to lick clean. As for the cookies, she’d always get one of the first ones to sample after they were baked and had cooled down.

One time I remember her anticipation of testing the cookies got the better of her. I had a full cookie sheet sitting on top of my stove and ready to go into the over after the other one came out of the oven. I ran down to the basement to switch clothes in the washer and dryer. I came back into the kitchen and there sat a half-full cookie sheet on top of the stove. Chloe was hiding under the kitchen table licking her lips. She looked up at me with a “I’m so busted” look on her face. I shook my finger at her, told her she was naughty and that I hoped she wouldn’t get a tummy ache. I then hugged her big time and said “Mom’s a good baker, isn’t she & you’re so-o glad she picked you to come and live with her! You’re a lucky, lucky dog!” Chloe looked at me and gave me on of “happy dog” smiles. I really miss those
ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Missing My Baking Assistant

Post by ski »

She was indeed a lucky, lucky dog. I am so sorry.
Piff Poff
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Piff Poff »

Thats so sweet, im not surprised she's missed.
Thank you Sweatpea
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Pam Iam sure Chloe is channeling Whitby to have one for her!
And if Momma is not looking take a few off the tray!!
I know there are days when we really miss them more than usual!
they may be gone but never forgotten!
christina chow mum
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by christina chow mum »

Well, I am absolutely speechless... I love this story so much I miss her too!
All I can say is that it's what they leave behind that matters. A very special warm cosy Chow kitchen with love all over the place. Hard to come by, these days.
Take care and give her a huge hug from me and Ming in your mind, where I bet she is, 24/7. :) :)
Loving a Chow means never having to say your'e sorry.
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

I couldn't help but cry a bit when I read your post. We do miss our sweet Chow girls. Tess was my assistant cook & took nibbles of what ever I made. We used to share cookies late into the night. It was hard baking & cooking without her there in the kitchen for a very long time. Lilly tries to help & literally sits on my feet while I cook. Poor little thing has to be careful of what she eats. There are no nibbles of food for her. The only thing that Tess couldn't eat was canned dog food. I could have baked a whole chicken for her & she would have gobbled it up.

Thank you for sharing. There will always be the sweetest of memories in our hearts for our girls.