What walking lead to use??

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Bucksey9
Rank 0
Rank 0

What walking lead to use??

Post by Bucksey9 »

A REALLY BIG QUESTION what types of lead is suitable for chow chows? the breeder who we got kiki from said a leather lead would be fine. but my auntie had a chow chow and she used a harness lead on her. her chow chow wasn't so scared when my auntie used a harness lead as much as she use a normal lead on her. so my auntie used the harness lead to walk her chow. what walking lead do you recommend? if anyone can answer this I would be truly grateful!! :D :D Thanks alot xxxxx
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: What walking lead to use??

Post by Laura »

I use a gentle leader harness for my two. When they were younger I turned it around so that their leashes hooked on their chest to discourage pulling. Now it is adjusted so that their leashes clip on their back. It is designed to work both ways. They outweigh me so I needed control and I don't trust collars not slip off their heads. Bought them at petsmart.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
Piff Poff
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Piff Poff »

I use a gentle leader harness for Henry as he has escaped his collar and he pulls bad if on the collar. However since we have a Daisy, and I have gone back to using lunge lines, no pulling, from either of them, it's fantastic :)
Thank you Sweatpea
Bucksey9
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Bucksey9 »

Oh right okay! thankyou so much for your reply! :D so you recommend I get a harness lead for my chow girl? shes 9 weeks at the moment so would it be suitable for her? I cant take her out yet as she hasn't had her first vaccination yet but it would probably be a good idea to get a harness because we live on a busy road and incase the lead slips off as i know long hair dogs a normal lead can slip off. we dont have a pets smart where I live but do have a large pets at home store so will take her their so they can measure her for the best harness lead, thanks for your message Laura :D :D
Bucksey9
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Bucksey9 »

awwwh right I will get a harness lead then I understand now that its the best option thanks guys! :D

Hi Piff Poff :) just wanted to know what a lunge line is? :) thanks for your time to message me! really appreciate it! :)

P.s I love your henry, hes gorgeous! looks like a big black bear! :D
christina chow mum
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by christina chow mum »

Hi Bucksey9, Christina here. Welcome to your baby girl! \:D/ \:D/ I have been through all the gamut of various leads, collars, harnesses over the years.
FYI a "lunge line" if I am not mistaken (due to the terrors of Americanglish....LOl!) is an EXTENSION lead that extends quite a distance when you push a button so that your Chow can roam around a little bit or a lot but still be "tied" to you. If you press the button again, the lead winds back into the holder, becomes short and finally brings her back to you. I would not really recommend this for a baby until she gets used to being outside. The world can be scary at that age.
I used a body harness clipped on the back as Ming was so heavy and lunged about so much that I had to have physio on my right shoulder due to all the sudden pulling which a harness kind of deals with. Then, when he got older and stopped lunging, I used a neck collar with a strong chain lead but the problem with that is that I forgot to take the collar off, and, if left on all day ends up with knots and knots of fur round his neck under the "mane" which are difficult and painful to comb out.
I still only use the neck collar and chain lead but he wears it ONLY for walks.

I think your baby would feel secure and safe with a little body harness until you make your own routines with her outside and then an extension lead for long and freer walks.
Make sure the lead you attach either to a harness or a collar is a strong one as several of mine have broken or been ripped off their clips when Ming suddenly lunges at something...! =; =;
Here's a tip of experienced wisdom. Chows tend to run very fast straight ahead if you let them off the lead or don't have a harness with a lead, especially if they pick up a distant scent or smell a rat (cat!)...and you chasing after it wherever you may be at the time, is NOT funnnnneeeee...! :roll: :roll:
Good luck! :) :)
Loving a Chow means never having to say your'e sorry.
Piff Poff
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Piff Poff »

No Christina Chow Mum a lunge line is not a retractable lead/leash, it's a lunge line that you would use for horses 15-20 feet long (cheaper than a lead most of the time too). I would not recommend a retractable leash as it creates resistance as it's pulling out, therefore encouraging the dog to carry on pulling when it's fully out. With a lunge line or extra long lead when the dog gets to the end there is a little jerk, the dog knows it can't go further and is more likely to stop pulling. (in theory)
Thank you Sweatpea
Bucksey9
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Bucksey9 »

Thanks christina chow mum and Piff poff for your lovely comments and time to write to me :D :D. Will probably get 2 leads just incase but will mostly use harness with a lunge line then I guess? instead of a lead with a button an (extension lead). but might buy both just to see which one I like more :D but will DEFIANTLY get a HARNESS LEAD for my chow girl :D.. shes use to outside in the garden when shes going for a wee or poop. shes very clever, LEARLY POTTY TRAINED at 9 weeks :D. They do say chow chow is one of the cleanest breeds and easy to potty train aswell :) I am so happy I choose a chow :D their the most beautiful dog breed in the world in my opinion!<3 and Im sure many people agree on that with me!! :P :D

Once again thanks so much for your helpful comments guys! really appreciate it :D :D xxxxxx
christina chow mum
Rank 1
Rank 1

Right! That's it Piff Poff! I'm fed up with this blasted misleading Americanglish! LOL! :oops: :oops: :oops:

So, if you REALLY want to send me something, how about a copy of the
BLOODY AMERICAN WEBSTER'S DICTIONARY :!: :!: :?: fume, moan, grumble, nag, mutter mutter.... :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, glad to be of SOME help where I can. Every little helps, I always say. :roll:
God almighty, you got a lotta horse equipment over there!
Sorry about the confusion Bucksey9. It seems you are on the way to owning a fantastic little chow girl! =D= =D=
Always here to help (assuming I get the Webster's.......LOL!)
Take care and have lots of Chow fun! :) :)
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

different dogs, different needs.

Our male is a wicked puller and even the harness doesnt discourage him much. He just needs to get somewhere and it really doesn't matter much, unless its a show collar, then for some really odd reason he is fine.

Our female is a fantastic walker. Never pulls, never drags, always by our side no matter who is holding the other end of the lead. She is perfectly fine with a standard collar and lead.

We have a bag full of different collars (mostly due to them outgrowing the puppy size and needing something a bit roomier) and leads. We have harnesses for both and never use the pink one. We have a flexi-lead (the retractable kind). We have standard 6' leads. We have show leads for both (their heads are different sizes).

I personally would start with a standard collar and 6' lead. Work on teaching your chow "loose leash walking". If she walks like a nice proper lady, you should only need to update the collar as she grows. If not, consider the chest harness that attaches at the rib cage. These are most effective at reducing pull. I am not a fan of the harnesses that attach to the muzzle. Any material lead is fine, as long as it is solid enough for your walk. Obviously, you dont want a thin lead designed for a toy breed. Something a bit more substantial to attach to whatever collar/harness you need.

Absolutely avoid prong collars. Rolled leather of good quality will reduce fur breakage around the neck area.
Piff Poff
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Piff Poff »

christina chow mum wrote:Right! That's it Piff Poff! I'm fed up with this blasted misleading Americanglish! LOL! :oops: :oops: :oops:

So, if you REALLY want to send me something, how about a copy of the
BLOODY AMERICAN WEBSTER'S DICTIONARY :!: :!: :?: fume, moan, grumble, nag, mutter mutter.... :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, glad to be of SOME help where I can. Every little helps, I always say. :roll:
God almighty, you got a lotta horse equipment over there!
Sorry about the confusion Bucksey9. It seems you are on the way to owning a fantastic little chow girl! =D= =D=
Always here to help (assuming I get the Webster's.......LOL!)
Take care and have lots of Chow fun! :) :)
I think you've been in Greece too long, lunge line is English as far as I know as when I go to get a new one and ask the Canadians for one I quite often get a funny look, so god alone knows how it's pronounced here lol
Thank you Sweatpea
christina chow mum
Rank 1
Rank 1

Ha ha ha! :lol: :lol: You are priceless Piff Poff! Course I know a "lunge line" is written in English. If i'd mentioned it in Greek it would have looked like this "Λουρί Τραβήγματος..." LOL! No relation whatsoever. I know what the verb "lunge" means but never heard of a "lunge line". "Lunge" though is what Ming still does after all these years, even with different harnesses, leads, chain leads, collars, ten sessions of physio on my right shoulder (sob!) and extension leads with a button that you press to get it in and out. THAT'S what I meant even though my suggestion turned out to be unsuitable for the baby chow girl...ho hum.. and I don't have anything to do with horses, so there... LOL! LOL!

The hilarious thing is that I had said "extension lead" but didn't mean "lunge line" which I had never heard of and then Rory's dad comes up with "flexi-lead (retracting)". THANK YOU THANK YOU Rory's Dad!! :idea: :wink: :wink:

Your'e right Piff Poff, been here too long. Half the time I speak Greek like a Greek, half the time English but mostly to my daughter who speaks it like an English woman with no Greek accent at all. There are times when I have to think of the right English word for something. Disgusting really when you consider how much my parents paid for my education and all that 11plus and GCE's .... :oops: :oops:

I think I got it right now, thank you all so much!!

Thinks: Poor Bucksey9 must wonder what on earth he got himself into when he asked the 60,000 dollar question in the first place. LOL! Crying with laughter...omigod! \:D/ \:D/
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

I too was a bit unsure on the 'lunge lead' concept, so i did a bit of research.

A lunge lead is essentially a long lead, approximately 20 feet in length. Primarily they are used to teach retreiving or hunting breeds to recall with the game. The concept is to train the dog from a distance to recall properly. Since these breeds are usually sent off into the water or a marsh, woods, etc, recall is necessary. From puppyhood on they are taught to respond to signals or call commands even when out of visual sight of their owners. The long/lunge lead safely provides a certain distance or feeling of free roam in the dog. Over a period of several weeks, they are then taught to return to the handler for reward.

As a breed, Chows are horrible at recall. Obviously there are exceptions. The lunge lead training may be helpful, but i think given that the chow is generally more interested in his own agenda, its a long shot. Chows do not have that retriever instinct and with their prey drive would much prefer to keep any game they aquire for themselves.

All the same, it might not be a bad excercise if your are inclined to put the time in.
Bucksey9
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Bucksey9 »

Wow a big discussion here! LOL :D and yes Christina Chow mum I most probably did ask 60,000 dollar HA HA :D #-o . I refuse to use a normal lead on her because Im scared it can slip off easily from her neck as chow fur is very easy to slip off because its very hard to identify their neck on how tight to put the collar on. AND we live on the BUSIEST road in my town in england (5 cars go past our house every 10 seconds roughly) during the day. so im a little worried the lead can slip off anytime when im walking right next to a busy road and she can easily get hit by a car if she runs away =; Will probably have the harness or her best option because its the safer option :) we have to get her used to putting it on her first, any tips on that? I know practise by putting it on in the garden and walking her with it so she can get use to it on her but any other tips peeps if you have some? :D :) thanks for al your lovely comments guys!! :P :D xxxxx

P.s She likes these chewy sticks we bought her from our local grocery store. and she really enjoys them. wil start giving her them as treats! she really likes them i think their her favourite edable stuff we gave her ;P xxxxxx
christina chow mum
Rank 1
Rank 1

Oh you have made me laugh Bucksey9, maybe its coz I see your'e also a "Brit". I use the word "peeps" a lot too. Very "London". Thanks for that! Yes, about the traffic, its a pain. We got double parked cars here all over and triple on the pavements (strewth!) so I try to steer clear of the little town and head for the parks.

When Ming was a puppy about your chowlie's age I think, (his fur wasn't the Amazon rain forest it is now), he had a little tiny black velvet collar with rhinestones all over it, very posh but you couldn't see it anyway! Daft that was...

When he started "going out more" and "walking the walk" ha ha.. I got him a red harness.
It takes a bit of getting used to... (i'm ashamed to say that on one or two occasions I did put two of Ming's legs in one hole and only discovered it when we were half way down the road!! ) LOL!!
Seriously though, I think this is your best bet for a young puppy chow. It will restrain her when she starts "lunging" (lol) at anything that takes her fancy and really couldn't care less what YOU are up to on the end of the lead...ah what memories...
It goes on quite easily, this is not for all four legs but only both front legs in first one after the other, then pull under the belly and clip it on her back. Then you attach the lead to that. Just a little tip from big boy Ming...try to keep her close to you in the beginning until she "smells" everything, pees up every tree and lampost and adopted them all for her very own, ha ha...knows what you want, listens to your commands, knows the way home (yes, even on the lead) and then let the lead out a little bit more each time so she trusts you, she feels safe and you can trust her too. That's what it's all about. Chows are really little furry people (can't believe I wrote that....LOL!) I must get out more.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

If it is any help to you Bucksey9 I checked and found this U.K. site which will give you info on the various leads harnesses, etc. From what I see they got everything there except our Chows! LOL!

http://intl.petsafe.net/intl/uk.

So, hope this helps you to decide and that I'm not "poking my nose in where it's not wanted" as my Yorkshire bred mum used to say. (In a very loud voice, believe me!) Ha ha!

I know what you mean about leads slipping off their necks! Ming's usually slips off when I'm tugging him like mad to get him out of the bathroom, his refuge during storms with the result that I end up in a kind of Welsh Rugby tackle with the T.V. and anything else I happen to land on! God help me!!
Ming is 7 now and they talk about the "Seven year Itch" but I can't see any difference!! SULK!!!

For Rory's Dad >> A great piece of research, well done! It's so great that I copy pasted it by e-mail to my daughter who has a two y.o. Brack hunting dog. She and her friends go up to Karpenisi, northern Greece at the weekends hunting mostly birds, rabbits and hares (NO foxes - I protest as a former member of "Friends of the Earth"!). She is trying to train him on "recall". #-o #-o #-o So a million thanks for that!! The hunting lodges in Karpenisi will surely have this type of "lunge lead" as hunters there go after all sorts, including wild boars. Thank you again!! :) :) Take care!
Attachments
MING THE LION.jpg
MING THE LION.jpg (52.06 KiB) Viewed 12583 times
uk.jpg
uk.jpg (1.84 KiB) Viewed 12583 times
christina chow mum
Rank 1
Rank 1

Sorry, Bucksey9, just popped in again to answer this: Bucksey9 said: ".. we have to get her used to putting it on her first, any tips on that?....
Well, I can only speak for Ming but the best way to get anything on him was to stand by the outside door (the one that leads to mysterious smells, cats, trees and lamp posts ha ha...) show her the harness and say "walkies" or whatever you personally say to her for "walk" and you'll see just how calmly she'll let you get the fangled thing on her! LOL!
It's all about familiarisation and doing everything all over again when you've already done it a hundred times.... :roll: #-o Have fun! Take care!
Bucksey9
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Bucksey9 »

Haha really, I will try that for my chow chow too then! :mrgreen: she likes to sit sometimes next to the big glass sliding door that leads to the garden so will give that ago ;P.. hopefully she wouldn't scobble too much :roll: christina chow mum did you go to a pet store first to ask for measurements or ask for the right size harness for your chow? I think our local pet store offers to measure any dog to make sure its the best fit and the correct size :lol:

I hope this technique works, if it doesn't Im blaming you :-x hahahahaha just kiddin :lol:

Hey I love your ming hes very handsome chap! like a lion like you say hahahaha :mrgreen:
I would like to show you guys my kiki :D... but I dont know how to upload a photo? and can some tell me how can I add a profile picture? #-o like your red butterfly you have christina chow mum :mrgreen:

I want to put my kiki as my profile picture so i can show everyone what a goodlooking princess he is hahahaha \:D/

We will end up getting her a collar with her name on it anyway so incase she gets lost, runs away etc etc. will also micro chip her at the vet soontoo! :D

I thought that a harness attaches to the collar hahaha so it doesnt I guess?.. So it only clips on the spine and 2 feet at the front okay :)

Hey we were watching a star wars movie last night (the older ones with luke skywalker in) and their was a scene in the film where you see these funny looking walking teddybears and our kiki looks like one of their kind LOL! \:D/ hahaha I think them teddy bear things in starwars are called Ewoks have a look on google images incase you dont k ow what they are :D hahahahaha I find it so cute and funny!! hahaha!! :green:

Christina chow mum If you dont mind me asking.. I would like to ask you where your from? :) I guess your from the states ;-) ha ha!

Thanks once again for your help !!! its nice to make friends with other chow owners all the way in the states! I feel like im the only brit in this chow chow forum! LOL! :D
Last edited by Bucksey9 on Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
christina chow mum
Rank 1
Rank 1

Wow! Wotta loadda lovely Sunday morning reading :!: Better than any old Greek newspaper :!: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Right, here we go to answer your queries (at my age its great to feel someone NEEDS me!! LOL

I don't live in the States. I am a "true Brit with a lotta true grit!" LOL!!
Born Brentwood, Essex. Mum Yorkshire, Dad Cheshire with Czech ancestors...ha ha. Hence my blondie look.
Did all the stuff, grammar school, London University, started out in trading commodities on the London Corn Exchange, Mark Lane, London. Travelled the world due to that - commodity fairs China, Malaysia, Hong Kong, US, Canada, Lagos Nigeria, and so on.

Met a very handsome Greek at a Hotel Exhibition in London, fairy tale stuff which turned out eventually to be the stuff of nightmares...(Total culture shock....) Came to Greece with him in 1979 just after the fall of the Junta and been here ever since. I left my ex's village in Kefalonia (and him...) in early 1984 and came to Athens. My daughter Joanna was born in June 1984 and we have been alone ever since. (Best years of my life and the many tortuous challenges have kept me going!!)
Worked mainly for Maritime lawyers like Ince & Co, Coward Chance, etc. until I started my own translation business in 1995 until last year when it just got too "Greekified"...groan. (Well, how would you feel if you got a call at 2.a.m. from a lunatic Greek lawyer yelling: "Get paper and pen and write this down"...!! Well..there ARE limits!). Best thing to come out of it all is my fabulous daughter Joanna and my Chow Ming. I would have done it all a million times over for both of them. They are my life.

Right let's sort out your profile.
Click on User Control Panel. Click on Profile You will see this:
Edit profile
Edit signature
Edit avatar
Edit account settings

Here you can make/write your own signature, anything you like, put stuff in your profile like Location, Chow's name. etc. Further down you can tick if you don't want to be seen online and ask for all post replies on topics to be notified to you by e-mail cos it does get a bit confusing at times trying to find the one you were busy with, etc. etc.

Now, about the avatar, I couldn't figure out how to put Ming's photo in the little square so selected an avatar (the butterfly) for example, instead. Maybe another chow friend here can tell you how to get a photo into the avatar instead of the ones listed. :?: Perhaps Rory's Dad could help out :?:

How to upload a picture/photo into your posts.
I assume you have a digital camera.?
Upload your photos from that onto your PC desktop. With names so you can find them easily, or in a desktop folder if you prefer...make sure they are saved as .JPG
Click on Upload Attachment then "Choose file" which will take you to your desktop or the folder you have made to get the photo.
Click on your photo. Click on Add file. This will insert the photo into your space above. You can insert up to 3 photos on each post. You can delete a photo if you change your mind and insert another one. That's it!

Psssst..if your'e not sure you can check in "How to Post a Photo" but to be honest I couldn't make head nor tail of it!...oooooooppss! LOL!

If you want to check what you have written, make changes, view the photos you have uploaded, click on preview.

As to the harness I got for Ming, I just picked it as I saw it. If I'd asked the pet shop guy here to measure it or approach Ming for a "freebie feel around his belly" ha ha, all hell would have been let loose! LOL!!! Little Ming was BIG even when he was LITTLE, LOL!! No way!
I know you'll manage the harness. There is no lead attached to it or collar when you first get it. You have to attach a separate lead to it, whether it be a strong leather lead, a chain lead or guess what? a.........lunge line....LOl!! =D= =D= =D=
Howling with laughter! :lol: :lol: :lol:
If I can be of any further help let me know! Take care and keep on loving your Chow!
Attachments
WE GO THAT WAY!.jpg
WE GO THAT WAY!.jpg (93.66 KiB) Viewed 12568 times
WALKIE WALKIE.jpg
WALKIE WALKIE.jpg (84.93 KiB) Viewed 12568 times
christina chow mum
Rank 1
Rank 1

Oi! Bucksey9 forget to mention....
When "Star Wars" was first shown in Leicester Square I went to see it with my sister Annie. Prince Charles was up in the Gods as well. God help us all... about time he got himself a job....(Don't tell Queenie Mum I said that...) and
for ages after everything we owned got christened, Jedi, Darth Vader, R2D2, etc.
I am a Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings maniac. Some of the cats next door are called Frodo, Smingol, etc.
Great fun! Yes baby Chows do look like the teddies in there! Ha ha!
chow4life
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chow4life »

Bottom of page on the forum home page
To upload your own picture for your avatar
Click on new topic
At the bottom of the page where you post click on upload attachment
Upload your attachnent and submit
Chowadmin will add your avatar and notify you when it is complete
Good luck
christina chow mum
Rank 1
Rank 1

Oh thanks chow4life with helping bucksey9. Now that you have shown me TOO, i'm going to have a go at it! Ha ha! I'm ok on the big stuff, its the "pesky twiddly bits" that confuse me but you have made it SO simple!
christina chow mum
Rank 1
Rank 1

Hi again Peeps and chow peep...ha ha. Late Sunday afternoon and just surfing around...ggggrrrung...
Found these 2 pics that show a harness. The one I got Ming was a lot thinner and I could make it bigger or smaller or adjust it. I think he wore the same harness for about 2 years with me adjusting the straps as he got bigger and fatter.

Also, if you have YouTube you might like this link which is a demonstration of how to put on a harness. Ha ha!

Train your dog - Stop Pulling On Leash - YouTube.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JQLd8P2Opw

I didn't have YouTube when Ming was a puppy, (sod it!) hence the two legs in one hole saga..... :roll: :roll:
Have fun and can't wait to see your Princess in all her glory! =D= =D=
Attachments
dog harness2.jpg
dog harness2.jpg (2.83 KiB) Viewed 12558 times
dog harness1.jpg
dog harness1.jpg (3.86 KiB) Viewed 12558 times
Bucksey9
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Bucksey9 »

Thanks Christina chow mum you have been a great help :-).. I see you use a choker on ming? I cant remember who said it to me but if you use a choker on a chow chow it will mess up their fur? like get their fur in a tangle? I also think chokers are very bad and cruel on a dog but thats just my opinion #-o I never knew their would be such a discussion when I posted this question on the forum LOL :D :mrgreen:
Bucksey9
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Bucksey9 »

and thanks so much for telling me how to upload the photos!! I will try to right now :D thanks so much :mrgreen:

Much love to you all xxxxxxx
Bucksey9
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Bucksey9 »

WOW. I cant upload the pics as my avatar because it says the pics are too big of a file :( looks like I will have to take some pics of kiki from my iphone when I have some spare time see if that works #-o now its not a good time to take some pictures of her as keekee is sleeping right now (not a surprise their haha) :D \:D/ :lol: