Vaccines???

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

chow4life
Rank 1
Rank 1

Vaccines???

Post by chow4life »

I would like the opinions of others as to vaccinations. The reason I ask is because I took my cat in this morning because she has a UTI. The receptionist promptly said Matilda was past due on her booster shots and she would like to set an appt. for her. Matilda is 2.5 years had all her puppy shots and current on rabies (3 year shot). I have read Dr. Dodd's articles that are listed on this site. I think they make great sense. My previous chow and rott did not get all these booster shots. They received all puppy and rabies shots as well. They lived respectfully till 15 and 16 years of age. The vet is not receptive to this (not giving booster). Advice appreciated
chunkymonkeys
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Vaccines???

Post by chunkymonkeys »

Does Matilda go to doggie daycare or in dog parks frequently? Maybe that's why your vet is advising them. Mine didn't get any boosters, just the
rabies vaccines, and they're fine too at 13 years old. Stick to your guns if you don't want her to get those shots; doctors recommend, but we do have the final say.
chow4life
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chow4life »

chunkymonkeys wrote:Does Matilda go to doggie daycare or in dog parks frequently?.
Thanks chunkeymonkey for the advice.
Matilda does not go to dog parks or daycare. It is hard to stand your ground because they (vets office) makes you feel like your doing something horrible by not giving the booster shots. But I'm going to pass on getting the boosters. Thanks again it helps to hear other peoples opinion.
christina chow mum
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by christina chow mum »

Well chow4life, I can't give any real technical advice as I'm not a vet. But here goes with my input, maybe others will help you out as well? I dare say your vet is a very competent one, loves animals and does what's best for them all in his opinion and level of expertise.

Unfortunately for me personally, and your vet and mine, and, being a born cynic, I am of the opinion that Vets, like Plastic Surgeons, Film Producers, Shrinks and Travel Agents are sometimes out for a very long quick buck thereby dragging out the "procedures" longer than necessary. :roll: :roll: (It's only a personal opinion). =; =;
For my part, my chow Ming, 7 years old, had all the shots, rabies vaccines, etc. and boosters until age 4 when my Vet said he didn't think they were necessary any more after this age. I agree. After all, how many boosters and shots can he have and for how many years??
He has a kalazar preventory checkup (bloodwork) every six months but that is all. I insist only on that as we have a lot of kalazar dog deaths in Greece from stray dogs. Kalazar is fatal to any breed of dog, there is no cure, only prevention, getting it in time and then starting a month long prescription of very expensive drugs to "kill" it. My daughter has just been through this nightmare with her dog, a Brack hunting dog.

Just imagine what would happen if we kept giving our kids shots for Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Scarlet Fever, Smallpox, Polio, etc. etc. until they reached the age of 30 !!?? Also if you have the kind of chow that doesn't mix with other animals and/or is kept fairly isolated (apartment, yard, etc.) then I hardly feel he is likely to "catch" anything except a mosquito bite.
On the other hand, if he is constantly outside running, walking, chasing cats, then there is always the possibility of picking up canine related diseases from other dogs, their saliva, their pee or their poop.

Bottom line: After age 4 we stopped all "puppy" vaccines and just started the kalazar preventory checkups from age 6 every month.
Hope someone else will give you more input. :) :)
Loving a Chow means never having to say your'e sorry.
wokman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by wokman »

Some Dog owners I have meet over the years have felt vaccines are either necessary to keep their Pets alive or that vaccines have caused the earlier development of Cancer. I have vaccinated my Chows as recommended by the Veterinarians or by the Counties Health Department. If I board my Chows the Kennels will not accept them unless I produce evidence from my Veterinarian that the Dogs are current on their vaccinations including six month Bordetella. My Chows have lived between the ages of eleven and thirteen with the exception of a middle aged Adoption who had advanced Dental disease when First acquired.
christina chow mum
Rank 1
Rank 1

Wokman, what is "Bordertella". Never heard of it. Thanks!
Constantina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Constantina »

Bordetella is Kennel Cough vaccine. Suggested for dogs who frequent the groomer, boarding kennels and dog parks. I have seen a dog with kennel cough and it is so heartbreaking.
christina chow mum
Rank 1
Rank 1

Oh right Constantine, got it. Thanks for the info on something I never heard of. #-o Ming is not likely to go through that as I groom him, he doesn't go to any kennels nor has one of his own and the only boarding he is going to get is right next to me! :) :) Its always interesting to learn new things, especially concerning the care of our beloved chows, so I do appreciate the input. Thanks again and take care! :)
sue
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sue »

In the UK by law if you want to put your dogs in kennels there booster's must be up to date or the kennels refuse to take them.You have to leave your booster book at the kennels while your dogs stay there or the kennels will be given a large fine.Also at our training club you have to take the booster book with you when you first start if its out of date or people have forgotten to bring it with them there asked to leave & come back the following week with it.The dates are noted down when its due the following year your asked to bring it in again to check its been given.