Help!badly need a good groomer..any advice?thanks!

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

rhemie14
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by rhemie14 »

Hi to all!
This is rhemie from Philippines.i just wanna ask for some advice regarding my 1year and 1 month chow named King.

He badly needs a groomer since he's too shaggy for my own liking plus he hasn't seen any groomer at all eversince. We already went to one pet groomer when he was 6 months but they refused to groom him since i think they are afraid since they know chows are snob and King doesn't want to be touch either by other people he doesn't know. I can't say that he's not that socialized but we take him outside for walks and meet other people,he just doesn't want to be touch if he's not familiar with the person.

In addition to that,when he got his 4th vaccine,the new vet injected the vaccine at the back of his head. I asked her why it was injected there since usually,King was injected on his thighs and answered me it was really in that part,the vaccine should be injected. So,I didnt ask anymore questions. But that one time incident makes King terrified of going to the vet and he doesn't trust anyone there anymore. Been continue going there just for the shots but my heart's breaking since King doesn't cooperate anymore and they are using force just to have him injected which I see that King's so stressed out. So I don't have the chance to get him groom. Been looking for another vet with groomer near our area but failed. I'm having 2nd thoughts of him bringing in the mall with groomers but I'm afraid the travel will exhaust him since it will take an hour.

Any suggestions are very much appreciated!
thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
christina chow mum
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Help!badly need a good groomer..any advice?thanks!

Post by christina chow mum »

This situation seems familiar. Unfortunately it appears you and King are now stuck between a rock and a hard place. There is not really much you can do by forcing a Chow to go anywhere or to accept just about anything especially as he is still very young as you say. I think Vets are out as far as "grooming" is concerned, it will only cause you continual grief as King obviously associates the Vet in this case with pain and aggravation. I do know that there are private "Groomers" who are not "hairdressers" nor "Vets" but experienced individuals, sometimes ex-police or dog trainers who visit clients individually in their own "vans" equipped with all kinds of equipment to groom dogs. Once they arrive the dog goes into the van, the doors close and at the end of it all the dog comes out looking very chic! Don't know about the Philippines at all but perhaps you could try the internet to find one of these "home visit Groomers" which may advertise or even place an ad yourself in your local press :?:
Afraid it's not much help but good luck anyway! :) :)
Loving a Chow means never having to say your'e sorry.
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

Sorry, I am in the US so I am not familiar with what they have in the Philippines. My Chows don't like the groomers and a lot of groomers where I live won't work on Chows. Here they have places where you can do your own bathing and use their high power blow dryers. It is much easier to groom them yourself especially when they have all the right equipment and they do the clean up.
rhemie14
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by rhemie14 »

Thank you so much for your response!
I think there are also some private groomers here in the Philippines and will find one the soonest. Actually, we're giving him baths twice a week with the blowers. It's just that his fur is kinda too shaggy now especially on his behind. :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Constantina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Constantina »

Hi rhemie! I am from the Phil's. And I bring chestnut to Clean Paws. They also do home service where they plug their truck into your garage. There is no drama whatsoever because groomers smell different from the vet. I also stay in the truck or shop with her.