General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

gebower
Rank 1
Rank 1

Life Span of a Chow

Post by gebower »

Hi Everyone,
My first Chow lived to 11 1/2 but he had health issues too. He had a brain tumor. If you go on the internet you
get all kinds of answers. 15 years, 8 -10 years, etc. I can't think of a better source to answer this question than
the Chow Chow Forum.
Gene
christina chow mum
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Life Span of a Chow

Post by christina chow mum »

Sorry to hear of the loss of your first Chow, which, to most Chow owners I believe, will always be the one and only, however many other Chows you may own afterwards. :) I am convinced that anyone who has owned a Chow and lost it for however long it was with one, would find life quite empty and purposeless (Chow wise I mean). I too believe the life span of a Chow to be approximately 15 years. I hope this will be the case for my beloved Ming who up to now, aged 7, is thankfully exceptionally healthy. I do not personally know of any Chow living to age 15 or so, the 3 or 4 chows I do know of which passed away at much younger ages, did so through various forms of disease or illness. I doubt very much whether a Chow would die of natural causes at around age 8 :!: I get the feeling you may be considering acquiring another Chow but the pain of loss again is a put off. Correct me if I am wrong, but if you are considering, then go for it, however much joy, love, protection and devotion the years may hold. :) :)
Loving a Chow means never having to say your'e sorry.
gebower
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by gebower »

I have two more Chows, one is 6 and the other 5. It was terrible losing "Chevy". But, I got a Chow pup, Max and then a year later got Zeena, his half sister. I just started thinking about it as they are getting older now. Thanks for your reply!
The vet says they are very healthy so maybe they will make 15. Hope so.
Gene
chow4life
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chow4life »

I don't think it's unreasonable for a chow to live till 15. My first chow did. I think of her everday and miss her terribly.. By the time she passed away she was virtually blind and had Alzheimer's (the best way to describe it). She had lived a nice long healthy life and had given our family great joy through the years.
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

Our dear Tess lived to be at least 15 years old. But as our family stories go she could have been 17, or perhaps the oldest Chow in all the world. What ever time we had with her was not enough. I never thought of her passing when she was well. When she got so sick, I told her it was ok for her to just let go. She didn't let go, but she was brave and loved when we held her as she passed over to the Rainbow Bridge. She is always with me in spirit. Lilly will be 6 years old on Christmas Day, that is her "assigned" birthday because we found her on Christmas.
sue
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sue »

My first Chow Tessie lived to 13 lost her to stomach cancer after her came Little Tess she lived to 10 lost her to heart problems.Then came Teddy I lost her at 6 to gastric torsion.I now have the twins Zeus & Achilles who are 8 years old.
gebower
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by gebower »

Thanks so much for your input everyone. So, it looks like my Chows may live to 15 IF they stay healthy. As your Chows get older you do think about this.
And yes, you NEVER forget your first Chow. I have pics of "Chevy" on my wall. He was a great buddy.
Gene
BusterBoo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by BusterBoo »

Buster was 15 years, 3 months. And even then he was not ready to go.
christina chow mum
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by christina chow mum »

How marvellous for you gebower that you have two other Chows! :D :D Sorry if I assumed that you didn't. I think we all, as humans, consider meeting the great nasty reaper one day, from time to time, it's the only thing in life we can be sure of but the thought of losing my Ming at any age, even at 16 or 20? I just can't get my mind round it. Thank god we all care and ensure our Chows are healthy, that's the main thing. Best wishes to all, young and old. :)
Loving a Chow means never having to say your'e sorry.
DrewBear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by DrewBear »

Bear made it to 15 1/2 years. He lived a rich life and was ready to go.
'Bear' 1996 - 2011
Doppler
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Doppler »

So amazing to hear chows on their 15s here, we are hoping to keep Doppler as healthy as possible too to live to the fullest.
"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. "
ImageImage
Crumpet
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Crumpet »

My Chewie was a rescued chow-husky mix and he lived to be 16 yrs and 8 months. I got him when he was 4. He was perfect.
Chewie.jpg
Chewie.jpg (17.72 KiB) Viewed 8148 times
JasonandNat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JasonandNat »

We think they live forever in our hearts.

FengHuang passed away last spring at 5yrs and I can assure you she ensured her memory would never dissipate.

ShenLung is now 6 yrs, FuShiLu is 11mths and we hope to have them both around forever. ;)