Moderator: chowadmin

Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Jerky treats

Post by Cocoa »

I know we've all probably seen this before but it is back in the news again:

http://globalnews.ca/news/920995/myster ... s-ill-fda/

I think the best thing for all our chows is just to stay away from any and all jerky treats.
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Jerky treats

Post by chowpups »

Thanks for posting, This one I did not see!
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

You're welcome Nancy.
It has been popping up periodically on the news for quite awhile now but usually just about the chicken jerky. This is the first time I've seen the duck and sweet potato as being a problem. As far as I know our Costco in Canada are still selling the Wagon Train jerky, they are recalled in the US by the FDA but up here since they aren't for human consumption it isn't covered by Canada's version of the FDA.
I don't know if you can view it in the US but try googling CBC's Marketplace, Fighting for Fido. It is from 2012 and apparently this has been a problem for years.
gebower
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by gebower »

I won't give my Chows any treats made outside our country, never will. You can't trust the quality of food made outside the U.S. If I pick up a treat that looks interesting for them, the first thing I do is see where it was made. Not U.S.? I put back on the shelf.
Gene
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

I won't give my Chows any treats made outside our country, never will.
I agree, Canada and the US only for me. I also read the packages very carefully because they can be labeled packaged in the USA or Canada and in the fine print on the back still say product of Canada. I am fortunate to have a local pet food store where the owner won't stock any food items from China and if the distributor can't (or won't) tell him where the ingredients are from he won't carry the product.
christina chow mum
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by christina chow mum »

:!: I have never, ever given Ming any treats at all, especially from Greek pet shops!!! God forbid!! You should have seen the pitiful state he was in when I got him from an Athens pet shop let alone pile on the torture!! Do they really need "treats" after all? I know that if you give a cat food that "it doesn't like" then it will starve itself to death rather than eat it, but a dog will eat exactly the same food every day of its life without question [so I have read...?]. Ming gets fed once a day, more if he asks, with plain boiled rice, tinned dog food, mostly chicken based, fresh veggies mixed in when I have them and meat fat or pure olive oil on the top for his fur and that's it!! NO treats, NO jerky things and NO PAIN!! =D= =D= =D=
Loving a Chow means never having to say your'e sorry.
rmb
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by rmb »

Be careful of products that say made in USA, they may well be made with tainted ingredients shipped in from China. For example, Smokehouse makes Chicken Barz, some of which are made in USA with USA ingredients and some are made in USA but with imported products. The Smokeouse rep emailed this info to me and said that those using imported products state so on the package. She also said that all of their duck products are imported. The Smokehouse Sweet Potato & Duck treats went in the trash since I had thrown out the package and put them in tupperware. The Chicken Barz say Made in USA and no mention anywhere on the package of any part being imported so I am continuing to give those. I've never seen any negative impact from any treats I've given but in view of the resurgence of reports of dog illness & deaths from jerky treats, it's scary. I now wish I had not gotten them used to a chewy treat in the evenings. My older chow mix knows when it's chewy time & excitedly whines at me until she gets a 100% USA rawhide twist. Chow Chow Buddy2 does not like rawhide, gets the Chicken Barz & loves them. Not yet sure what I will do for him when these run out.