Max talks to me in grunts

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

gebower
Rank 1
Rank 1

Max talks to me in grunts

Post by gebower »

It's too funny sometimes. He'll be laying there and I'll pet him and talk to him and he starts grunting like "Arnold" the pig in Green Acres (if anyone has seen that program.) The breeder who has 5 females and one male said Max's mother grunted too. Does anyone have a Chow that grunts to talk to you? I think it's cool.

Gene.
Gene
rmb
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Max talks to me in grunts

Post by rmb »

that is funny... mine doesn't grunt but he does snore & I enjoy hearing that!
wokman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by wokman »

My Chow, Zoey not only grunts she snores loudly and vocalizes with different sounds much like a Bird with its different songs. When she was young she often made sounds like an exotic jungle Bird. :o
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

I have two grunters. It definitely seems like a language. Rory vocalizes most when we rub his throat. Amber decides to make noises whenever she gets a serious chew going (toys, the coffee table, etc.).
christina chow mum
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by christina chow mum »

Ming has his own repetoire as well but I must say I have yet to hear pig like grunting!....Aaaah how cute! He's out in the yard right now singing his little song which is reminiscent of a violin needing a good tuning. =D= He's got different sounds for different "events" in his life. He doesn't like to be petted by strangers during walks mostly because they won't learn or don't know that you always approach a dog from low down and upwards, not suddenly and violently stick your hand on top of its head! Well, what do they expect? Of course he growls like a lion, which really backs them off. I know I would growl if they did that to me...fume...! He will however stay silent and accept petting from very small children who have no idea of what they are dealing with LOL! He also lion growls at small dogs or others that gallop around him being silly or trying to sniff his backside. As if to say "grow up and behave yourself!" He really "coo's" when he hears cats yowling when in reality he only wants them to feel the pain! Oooops! The other part of his vocabulary is a wierd "miouw miouw" when he wants to come in and if not answered on the second note, the door gets wrecked and he won't speak to me for about an hour. HA HA HA!! Do your chowlies bark deeply and loudly like bears when certain people approach the house, stairs or yard even when he knows those people are not strangers and even though he can't see them behind a closed door? i.e He barks at my landlady's daughter but never at her [wonder if he knows its rent paying day....?] Some highly enlightened Greeks have explained to me that if he doesn't bark when someone he knows or doesn't know approaches then the person is a "good" person. I know we are going through a crises in Greece but surely this is a little too "mythical"?
Loving a Chow means never having to say your'e sorry.