Heavy Panting

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Chandler
Rank 0
Rank 0

Heavy Panting

Post by Chandler »

Hello... I rescued a wonderful black Chow approximately 3 months ago, so I don't have any history on the girl. Last night around 4 am..she came and put her paws up on my bed panting very heavily. I got up to check her water. She did not drink. But, followed me around. And, continued to come to my bed...even trying to jump up which she never does. I got up several times, and she would not leave my side.
I moved to the sofa...put her up on the sofa with me. She stood there by me as I googled how to help her and tried calling my vet. She eventually laid down next to me...and remained there until morning getting up numerous times panting loudly. This morning she acted fine. I have no idea what was wrong with her or what she needed. I was worried she might be bloat, but she felt fine. Has anyone ever experience this before? Please.. any advice you can give will be greatly appreciated.
Juniper
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Heavy Panting

Post by Juniper »

You didn't mention if you had taken her to the vet when you rescued her. The vet could estimate her age, check her teeth-if they need to be cleaned or teeth removed, do complete bloodwork on her to see if her liver and kidney functions are ok, listen to her heartbeat see if there is any arrythmia or murmurs, check her joints for arthritis, etc. This stuff is all important to do whenever you get a rescue w/o any history. She could have any number of problems going on which could be causing her discomfort. There are many reasons for sudden heavy panting and needing to be close, so I would suggest getting these things done if you haven't already.
Jennifer & Sheena
Chandler
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Chandler »

Yes, I fostered her from our local animal shelter. The vet at the animal shelter had her checked out...and all was good. Then I decided I couldn't give her up. (of course)...and took her to my vet. They said she is approximately 3 years old. And, she got a good bill of health. By the way, your Juniper looks just like my sweet Chandler...who I still missed so much after all these years.
Doppler
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Doppler »

So sorry to hear about your Chandler going through, maybe ask your vet for any heart problem. Hope its nothing or not so serious, panting could be hard breathing when swallowed anything or something that distract her breathing.
"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. "
ImageImage
christina chow mum
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by christina chow mum »

Oh dear, poor little chowlie dog. This heavy panting is very distressing for the chow and for the owner. I have 2 separate instances of heavy panting to provide which I hope may help. My chow MING pants heavily during a storm, I already mentioned this in my other post [Living with Ming in Greece]. The other type of panting usually happens at night or towards the morning when his panting wakes me up. I have discovered that he is really in distress because he wants to pee or defecate outside. Unfortunately, even though I have a very large yard, strangely enough he has refused or has never wanted to pee or defecate there so I am obliged to take him out into the street and trees while still in my pyjamas! I always feel guilty when this happens as it is a direct result of my not taking him out the night before for his bedtime "business". So, try taking your chow out for a late night stroll before bed so it can relieve itself, especially as they really drink a lot of water! Chows in particular are exceptionally clean and fussy about their own space so even though it may be busting for a pee there is no way in this world that he will soil his or your private space. Try it let me know if a last late stroll works, it does for me!
Guv guv! Christina
Loving a Chow means never having to say your'e sorry.
tabate45
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by tabate45 »

Hi,
My female dog pants heavily in the morning when she has to go out. My male can go forever without going potty.
P.R. Bear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by P.R. Bear »

Our girl Bear does the same thing when she has to go outside.