Have you ever left your chow home alone?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

saskanechi
Rank 0
Rank 0

Have you ever left your chow home alone?

Post by saskanechi »

I'm just curious what your chows do when left home alone? And what was the longest time you left your chow home alone?
wokman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Have you ever left your chow home alone?

Post by wokman »

I have left my Chows home alone hundreds of times. I think they probably sleep when left home alone, but only they know what really goes on. \:D/ The longest I have left a Chow home alone was fourteen hours when my car broke down while in a neighboring State. A Family member went to let my poor Male out, but the key they had of mine was for an old lock. If the Family member had called me to say they could not get in I would have instructed them to call a Lock Smith.
I found out later my Male Chow had relieved himself on a small rug; which explained why he did nothing when I took him out when I arrived home. I have read three times a day is enough for an Adult, more times for a Puppy and a Senior.
Michael's Maggie May
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Michael's Maggie May »

They sleep and snore.
christina chow mum
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by christina chow mum »

To leave or not to leave a Chow at home alone? Hmm... That is the question. I have had many dogs over the years, all types, but only one Chow, Ming and have studied and earned a lot from him. A bossy, dominant, spiteful, ignorant or aggressive owner has no place in a Chow’s life. It only results in total disaster. I can only speak from my own experience about leaving Ming alone. Perhaps the following may help any doubters, or may not:
In circa 1215 Genghis Khan conquered China from Mongolia introducing many dogs of a kind of Mongolian Samoyed or Tsar Pei breed which he then mated with the little Chinese bears of the time. The then Chinese Emperor Jin (Jin Dynasty) had these dogs beside him all his life to guard him and his pagodas. Khan took some back to Mongolia as prize hunters. When Jin died, he ordered that 500 Chows be buried with him to protect him in the afterlife. At the base of every column supporting a Chinese pagoda you will see not what appears to be a lion, but a Chow. Ergo, a Chow was born and lives his life primarily as a guard but principally of PEOPLE, e.g. his Owner. If his owner is absent he will become distressed and panicky but too proud to show it, even though he appears to be calm and sleep through all the emotional stress. Even though he tries to violently get out the door with you when you go, he will not bark in your absence but will wait a lifetime for your return, snoring his little heart out.
De facto: ALL dogs irrespective of breed have a mortal fear of rejection and/or abandonment, similar to humans. This can be proven by noting that your Chow will go through the exact same motions of utter adoration, relief and happiness when you return whether you have been gone 5 minutes, 5 days or 5 months. The reaction is always exactly the same. [Try it and you will see what I mean about the time frames – go out for 5 minutes and then for an hour – if possible videotape the same reaction each time]. Frantic tail wagging and pushing his body against you until he has accompanied you to the main door and you are safely inside. It never changes.
Knowing of this mortal fear of abandonment and his need to protect me, I have always felt totally guilty about leaving Ming even to pop down to the shops with the result that I have become kind of isolated, friendless and withdrawn from society not even going down to the beach for the last 6 years. [Not an ideal or normal situation but it’s my final choice as long as Ming lives, ce la vie]. To ease his anxiety and mine I have developed a kind of “rule” whenever I am obliged to leave him. Whether I am visiting my daughter for a day or riding my bike for half an hour I always tell him EXACTLY the same thing: “Mummy is going shopping now to get some food for you and your bones as well...” leaving him clean, fresh water and his toys. It has taken a year or so for him to recognise this phrase, accept it and stay in his place in the yard as I go out. But God help me, when I get back, he is right there behind the yard door wagging his tail like mad! What can I say? It all comes down to personal choices and one’s own lifestyle or our commitment to our Chow and his to us. You would never, ever get such devotion and protection from a human, that’s for sure! Treasure every second of it!! In such a case is it always good to “harden one’s heart”? Or, not? Only Freud could have explained that ....!
Attachments
DSC01338.jpg
DSC01338.jpg (27.84 KiB) Viewed 6055 times
Loving a Chow means never having to say your'e sorry.
rmb
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by rmb »

My male Chow and his best friend Chow mix sister are usually home alone 4 - 6 hours a day. We have even left them for overnights, with dog loving next door neighbors coming over morning, afternoon and evening to feed and love on them. We have a doggy door and fenced yard. I believe my Chow Chow spends most of his time outdoors, his choice, while Suzy snoozes on the lower landing, near the doggy door. I feel better about them being left with each other & our neighbors than taking them away from their own turf. We've never found an issue with leaving them alone. The welcome home is always amazing!
JasonandNat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JasonandNat »

ShenLung and FuShiLu are home all day nearly every day. He is 6 yrs, she is 7 mths. Was the same when FengHuang was alive. Years ago our two American Fuzzy Lop bunnies Roo and Poo were always home alone throughout the house. What's the real question?
christina chow mum
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by christina chow mum »

Absolutely GORGEOUS pics of chowlies, oh my god, so cute! They remind me of Ming as a puppy and growing up. I think the real question set by the poster is "Should I be suffering from such a guilt complex by leaving my chow alone?" My reply, "YES you jolly well should!" LOL! Just ask yourself, would you leave your other "children" home alone?" Nah... course not!
Loving a Chow means never having to say your'e sorry.
saskanechi
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by saskanechi »

JasonandNat wrote:. What's the real question?
My question was what do your chows do when they're home alone? It doesn't mean anything else. That's my "real" questions. The reason why I asked that was because I got bored one time and have been looking at youtube videos of dogs being left home alone. LOL! This got me curious about what chows do. e.g. do they destroy your things, sleep all day, etc..
saskanechi
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by saskanechi »

christina chow mum wrote:Absolutely GORGEOUS pics of chowlies, oh my god, so cute! They remind me of Ming as a puppy and growing up. I think the real question set by the poster is "Should I be suffering from such a guilt complex by leaving my chow alone?" My reply, "YES you jolly well should!" LOL! Just ask yourself, would you leave your other "children" home alone?" Nah... course not!
Indeed I would feel guilty. But do you never leave your dogs home alone then? What if you have to go to work or someplace where dogs are not allowed? And I agree, those are cute pictures! :D