Is your chow afraid of water?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

sashasayys
Rank 0
Rank 0

Is your chow afraid of water?

Post by sashasayys »

My half chow, half retriever Thor absolutely HATES water. He loves to watch it, but hates going into fountains, pools, puddles and even bath time is our worst nightmare, no matter how many toys he has in there. We were having a 'dog swim day' at the pool, and when we finally got him into the water, he got mad and started running around the pool instead and trying to dry himself off.
I'm just curious, do all chows dislike water? Or is my pup just weird?
ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Is your chow afraid of water?

Post by ski »

We have a purebred chow (Loki) who loves nothing more than sitting in a stream or lake. Of course, he is always on leash when we walk along the water but he loves the water. On the other hand our chow Newfoundland mix, Frisco, HATES the water. He won't go anywhere near the water. He won't even walk out on our boat dock. We keep reminding him he comes from a water rescue lineage, but he doesn't get it.
Juniper
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Juniper »

Water? HELP! My slavemaster is killing me! Arooooo Arooooo...That's Sheena's reaction to bathing as her nails are digging into my arm! It's so bad that in the doggie wash place where I bathe her (very, very infrequently I must add) two people freaked out and walked out with their wet dogs instead of drying them...muttering under their breath...chows are dangerous. I even had trouble getting her to drink water so I add at least 1/2 cup into her wet food or should I say thick soup. lol She walks around puddles and HATES wet grass and prefers dirt or even mud is OK.

Sheena, is a purebred stray I captured in my neighborhood in Sept 2004. She is a prima donna. Harumphs when it is raining when she needs to go outside to do her business and I either must go outside with her or be waiting at that door when she finishes or she will bark like crazy...the demanding poochie she is. But LOVES the dry toweling when she comes in. Oh, she LOVES the dryer at the doggie wash too! LOL
Jennifer & Sheena
JammyJoy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JammyJoy »

Give Thor a little time. That's what my situation with Boomer before. I brought him once in the beach and he wasn't moving when I try to bring him to the ocean. But then,I kinda play with him and I throw the toy in the beach side. Then,he got it and slowly he's fear in the water is vanishing. Now,whenever we go to the beach,he's always excited!
Doppler
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Doppler »

Our purebred chow Doppler absolutely loves water. He likes beach, sand, waves and fetching on the sea.
"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. "
ImageImage
Constantina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Constantina »

Runs away from the hose during shower time and hides in the crate or under the large wrought iron table so she will be hard to reach. Pretends to be sleeping and suddenly becomes deaf when summoned too. During the shower she enjoys the massage with shampoo though and dances around feeling refreshed when clean and dry.
YMMV
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by YMMV »

My little Leah loves water. She loves going for walks in the rain and loves when any of my neighbors sprinklers systems are on. She will try to dart over and start sticker face in it and then start jumping over it. Its a pretty cute sight that I need to record one day. lol. Also, anytime I was my cars, she always tries to run over and get in the way when I spray down the cars. Such a silly girl. :)
698carolh
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by 698carolh »

I have a pure bread as well named Chub Chub.

He dislikes water so much, that he will not pee on the grass in the morning if it has dew on it. He will wait until the rain stops to go outside. He has held it for a day believe it or not. Baths are taboo. So he definitely does not like it.

Strangely, he will try and bite the water coming out of the hose when I am watering the garden, and does not mind getting a little wet then.

They all have their little quirks :)
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

No. She is not. It just the way I introduced them to water at a very young age.