Spayed Girl Chows

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Spayed Girl Chows

Post by Judy Fox »

I was just pondering on something my granddaughter Isabelle said.
I was talking to her on the telephone the other evening and she wondered if any research had been done into the needs of a spayed bitch in respect of H.R.T.
When a woman has a hysterectomy or post menopause, she very often needs H.R.T. to help with the hot flushes and night sweats.
I wonder if bitches, chow chows or other breeds have similar problems?
Has anyone any information about this? :)
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Spayed Girl Chows

Post by Me & Tess »

Right before we retired, Tess started to have loose pee. I was really worried. I remember the day, I was supposed to do some errands after work, but I was so upset I went straight home, put Tess in the car & drove like a crazy Chow mom to our vet's. I didn't even call him. The girls got me right in. Our vet told me that her condition was similar to a woman after menopause, low estrogen. He gave me Proin & told me to give her one tablet twice a day. (Our vet didn't charge us for the visit). The Proin controlled her dribbles right away. Sometimes we were able to cut the dosage in half. Before we left for Montana I got all the Proin we would need for 6 months... Back to the question of H.R.T; no only the Proin. Tess got so used to the medication she would go to the closet where we kept it and reminded me to give it to her.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Thank you so much. :D
You have told me exactly what the lady vet we saw yesterday told me.
I asked her if the mucinosis lump near her vulva would press on her bladder as sometimes she has little leaks when she is asleep. We notice when she has fallen asleep on the garden path. It isn't a big problem.
Anyway the vet said no - the lump will not press on the bladder but if the leaks get worse to go back to her as there is a medication to help. She says this mild incontinence happens when a bitch has been spayed, which Maisie has. So I will bear it in mind and if the leaks get bigger or more often I will take Maisie to her and get some medication for her. :) At the moment it really is not a problem but I can see it probably will get a little worse as she gets older - she was 4 a week last Tuesday, bless her - and Matilda of course. Tilly does not leak at all. =D=
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

That was one of the reasons we got laminate floors. I would have dearly loved wood floors but gave up the idea. Now another Chow girl later, it was a good choice. Did I mention what a messy drinker Lilly is!? Will be keeping watch on Lilly as she gets older. Pet Meds had the cheapest prices. I don't know if you have access to Pet Meds over the pond. O:)
chow4life
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chow4life »

Our previous chow had to be put on Proin. Roughly 6 months after being spayed she started to leave little puddles when she would get up from sleeping. One pill a day did the trick. She never did mind because we usually put it in some kind of disquise (sliced roastbeef, cheese etc..) so all we had to say was "ready for treat".