she doesn't play with her toys!
what's your chow's toy?
what do they like to play with?
Michael's Maggie May
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: your chow's best toy??

Post by Michael's Maggie May »

Nothing, absolutely nothing, She will not chase a ball, looks at me as if to say "What did you do that for"? The only thing that interest her is a ride in the truck, going for a walk or "Is it time for dinner"? I have a closet full of bones, stuffed toys given to her by friends and I'm fussy about things she should chew on. Doesn't touch them.OH did I mention the Zoomies? Thats her thing. It has taken me 5 yrs for her to roll over for a belly scratch, I know she loves me but it has been a long drawn out process. These Chows are tough dogs. I think the attitude comes from them remembering the Chinese used them for dinner and we are being paid back. But what a gorgeous animal!!!!
rmb
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by rmb »

My 1 1/2 year old male chow, Buddy2, has no use for balls or fetch with me but does throw his stuffed toys up in the air with a twist of his head & will fetch those to re-throw & fetch again. If he is outside doing this, zooming follows. Indoors, he will tease his adoptive sister, Suzy, with the toy to entice her into tug of war. So fun to watch! He will not play tug of war with me, he just gives up the toy, which I see as a good thing. When I brought Buddy2 home in January, he had spent his first 13 months in a shelter. We just had a DNA test done for grins and learned that he is pure chow chow. I can touch him everywhere but he still has not shown me his tummy. I will hold out hope, thanks to your story.
ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ski »

No way Loki would be caught dead with a toy...ball...whatever. He thinks he is way too cool for toys.
wokman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by wokman »

My first and third Chow Girls played with toys, especially number three Mrs. Kamie.
My two Male Chows number two, Mr. Boo and number five Mr. Leo were against any such activity, too juvenile.
Number four Miss Zoey would grab Mrs. Kamie's toy and stand over it growling to stop the play.
I have not yet tried playing with number six, Miss Abby.
Abby has several times tried to get Miss Zoey to do the spin and zoomie Chow dance with no success.
All my Chows had and still do love their walks, though not always together, they sometimes prefer exclusive individual attention. :roll:
Mokoto
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Mokoto »

rmb wrote:My 1 1/2 year old male chow, Buddy2, has no use for balls or fetch with me but does throw his stuffed toys up in the air with a twist of his head & will fetch those to re-throw & fetch again. If he is outside doing this, zooming follows.
HAHA! My boy Moko does this exact same thing but with his cows hoof. I've got a video somewhere. I swear he prefers to play by himself.

Although Moko will chase and fetch toys, this will normally only last 3 or 4 throws before he becomes bored.
cge2809
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by cge2809 »

my chow enjoys her play time with people. not alone!
she likes to fetch( only first few times and forget about it)
or tug of war ( again only few minutes)

but she doesn't like to play alone.
I guess it's just the breed thing...
thanks guys!
have fun with your chows:)
ChowServant
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ChowServant »

Be very careful with the stuffed toys. Our Chow, Boo Boo, tore one up and ate some of the stuffing. By the time we finished several rounds of vet visits, overnight stays at the vet, X-rays, etc. over the course of a couple weeks to progress from an "upset tummy" diagnosis to one of intestinal blockage and surgery it had cost us about two grand. Of course, his other "toy" (a possum he stumbled upon in our back yard one evening) has proven just as problematic - while the possum definitely lost (RIP Mr. possum), he did get in one good chomp on Boo Boo's lip and we're still fighting a very persistent antibiotic-resistant infection from it - looks like he'll be going back to surgery to get the wound opened up and cleaned out again. Our vet loves Boo Boo, he's helping pay for her Mercedes convertible. :)
Beth
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Beth »

My first chow, Fred, once chewed up and swallowed a green, plastic squeaky frog. I did not know this until I took him for a walk and when he pooped, there was a little green foot sticking out of it.
YMMV
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by YMMV »

Leah loves anything that squeaks, her bones, and pigs ears. She also loves destroying chew animals so I have learned to buy the ones without stuffing. The funny thing is, she loves to fetch (kong squeaking tennis ball and squeaking crocodile) weather its indoors or in the back yard.