Emergency help please. First heat, and contact :(

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

subetekiero
Rank 0
Rank 0

Emergency help please. First heat, and contact :(

Post by subetekiero »

My baby is only 1 and went into heat 5 days ago. It was all okay in the beginning. She started bleeding a little at first and by the third day rather heavily. Yesterday was terrible, she still was bleeding and I let her outside for 15 minutes to go to the bathroom. I heard a dog barking and I went outside after about 5 minutes because I didn`t think know any better I guess. A giant labrador was out running around in -my backyard-. I couldn`t believe it. He jumped a 5 foot fence. I chased him after him forever but no avail.

I`m terrified he could have done something to her... but I read online that it doesn`t matter as far as chow chows until they become a pink-light colored discharge and shes still very dark and only on her 5th day as of today. I had wanted to possibly breed her when she turned 2, or around 2 1/2. Anyway, please no negativity answers I am already really stressed out and have been outside with her each time and only for a couple minutes. I would really love to have some advice from experienced chow chows that possibly know about breeding, heat, etc.

thanks very much in advance!
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Emergency help please. First heat, and contact :(

Post by Me & Tess »

I am not going to say anything bad to you. Only that, you will need to be with her the entire time she is outside while she is in heat. Our little Ausie came into her first heat and we found a big German Shepard in our back yard. He too climbed/jumped the fence to be with her. We were not going to breed her & I didn't even want to know if "it" happened, so we took her in to be spade right away. Male dogs get the scent from miles away and will do everything in their power to get to the female. Tess' dog friend Buddy would travel miles from Earl's EDA Ranch. Buddy would get into fights with other male dogs in pursuit of the prize. He got so beat up that Earl finally had to get him neutered after cuts, wounds, and a torn ear. I would say, just pray that "it" didn't happen and stay very close to her in the future while she is outside & in heat.
applebear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by applebear »

As said, you need to be with her 100% of time while outside when in heat [this includes time after she stops bleeding, as they do not bleed the entire time they are fertile...think it's like a month? /shrug]...though I'm guessing you are figuring this out, males will come from miles around and go to great lengths to mate. It is 'probably' unlikely she was bred due to the short amount of time, though a lot would depend on the experience of the male and how fast he is to get to business, as well as how receptive the female is [being she is inexperienced and young is in your favor]. If I had to bet on it, I'd say it was unlikely they hooked up in that short amount of time and would likely still have been 'tied' by the time you got out there.

Again, never say never...I don't breed, so I couldn't say what you do from here. Maybe there are things the vet can do...I really don't know, will let the experts enlighten you.
sue
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sue »

Ring your vet straight away you can get the equivalent of the morning after pill which is an injection they will give her to stop an unwanted pregnancy.Over the years I have had 5 females & have spoken to my vet but not at length about it as none of them have ever got court.I don't know the full procedure but it is available within 24 hours of a accidental mating that could have happened
wokman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by wokman »

We learn from our experiences, both good and bad.
I hope your Baby does not have to go through
A teenage pregnancy, yelping a litter of Chowbadors.
Do a lot of research so you can be a responsible Breeder.
Paws crossed, we hope "it" did not happen.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

If she was in the early stages, she would not likely be receptive to a male, so with any luck she would have rejected him anyway. You are correct that coloring starts dark and gets lighter as she becomes 'ready'. Of course there are no guarantees, but about 90% based on the circumstances, you should be OK.

I understand the concern. Our female recently completed her 1st heat. Aside from the neighbor dogs, which as others have said will scale a 6 foot wall to get to an in heat female, we have an intact male Chow in house. Regardless, if you have an in-season female, you will require 100% vigilence. Do no underestimate the male drive.
maikinda
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by maikinda »

I would have my vet do a progesterone test . That will tell you if she was ready to be bred. If her progesterone is still low, and it should be if she is only 5 days in, she could not be pregnant. Here is more info http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm ... 9&aid=3201 . I would rather do that than give her medication to abort just in case. Since you are considering breeding I would suggest you do some research on the cost. If you end up with a C-section you could be looking at 1500.00 to 2000.00 in vet bills. Some bitches even die during whelping. Please consider everything before you decide.

Laura
Attachments
Micah tag.jpg
Micah tag.jpg (12.41 KiB) Viewed 4932 times