Chow Abuse

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

sashasayys
Rank 0
Rank 0

Chow Abuse

Post by sashasayys »

Okay, so this all started when i found out that a friend of mine was giving out half retriever half chow puppies. I made the mistake of telling my (future) sister in law about it, and of course she showed interest. I assumed that she was good at taking care of animals since she already has a dog and two other cats. So we went to get a puppy for me, and one for her self.
After a couple of months, i kept on hearing that she wasn't taking care of the new dog. In fact, I've never even seen her walk him around town. She always complains about how he's horrible at walking on a leash, and all this stuff. Well i went there last night to check up on the dog... he had no water. The bowl was completely dry and there was just dirt in there. When i was filling it up with water, he was acting like he hasn't drank the whole day. I also noticed that he wasn't breathing right. It was constant panting. Well, my friend checked his collar and turns out that his shock collar was on so tight that it was about to grow into his skin. We took him on a walk, and oh my god, he's such a gentle dog, and all he wanted was attention.
I dont know what to do. I know that people tried talking to her about it, but it obviously hasn't changed. And what drives me crazy is that he lives outside! A chow deserves to be loved, pampered, and sleep on the couch, not in a cage and be tied up constantly. I'm so heartbroken and feel like it's all my fault since i was the one to tell her about it..
I'm trying to avoid calling animal rescue because then all the drama is going to start. It's just that i keep my baby chow inside, we're best friends and i can't imagine the world without him. I can't even remember life without him 9 months ago! Maybe i'm over reacting? Do any of you guys just keep your chows outside?
chunkymonkeys
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Chow Abuse

Post by chunkymonkeys »

I don't feel that any dog should be living outside most of his life because what's the point of getting him in the first place? If I found a dog with a collar too small for him and it was cutting into his neck, I would ask my friend how the adoption was going. Neutral question. Then if she expressed that she was overwhelmed or didn't want the dog, then encouraging her to call animal rescue would be my move. If she became hostile, then I would tell her that I would have to do something, because I can't look away when I see neglect of the dog. Just like if I saw a child being neglected (not to compare the two, just to point out their dependence on another for care), I would worry only about the dependent's situation. IF my friend got angry and stops talking to me after this situation was resolved, I would have to tell her that I'm sorry she feels that our friendship has to end. IF she said that I have to mind my own business, I would have to tell her when it comes to another living being neglected, I was FORCED to do it by her INACTIONS. I feel for you, and hope the situation resolves for all. Please keep us updated.
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

Me I would call the authorities get that dog out of there I wouldn't want that person as my future sister in law how would she treat your kids down the road...If I saw a person doing that to an animal I would have animal control on them so fast there head would spin....If I was you I would do something...
Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

is your brother able to do anything? since its his future wife and dog?? if not just ask her why does she have the collar so tight and no water ? And start a conversation about if she can't take care of it would you be able to take him? How is she with her other animals??
sashasayys
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by sashasayys »

chowpups wrote:is your brother able to do anything? since its his future wife and dog?? if not just ask her why does she have the collar so tight and no water ? And start a conversation about if she can't take care of it would you be able to take him? How is she with her other animals??
Just to clarify, she's my finace's brother's wife. Sorry for the confusion! That's why it's kind of hard for me to confront her about it. Every time i try to start a conversation about it, she makes it seem like it's not so bad. Even earlier today i was telling her that her dog's eyes look just like my dog's eyes and her reply was "oh i've never looked at him that close", and she made it sound like it was no big deal. Ouch.
ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ski »

I am sorry. I am not an aggressive person, but I would not restrain myself in this case. You must be an advocate for this dog. A relationship would not stand in my way of rescuing an abused animal
applebear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by applebear »

My brothers had a roommate that didn't take care of his dog. I remember going up there and seeing this poor skin and bones basset hound. You could literally wrap your hand around his waist. As I sat there looking at him, surrounded by all these people...I could not believe not ONE person saw anything wrong. As hard as it was, and not even knowing if my own brothers would be held responsible or not, I called the police.

The police called back later to report they had found the dog collapsed in a field dying. They got him to the vet just in time...when he finally passed stool, it was hard corn from the surrounding fields. The point I am trying to make...don't count on others to do anything about it. Many turn a blind eye. You are trying to get her attention subtly, maybe it's time for a more direct approach. Offer to take the dog if that's what needs to be done.

Best of luck for this dog, I truly hope you find a way to help him.
Juniper
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Juniper »

My friend abused her cat who hid in the closet all day and night with the door half opened and refused to eat in fear of the dogs. It was down to 6 lbs. Her attitude was "the cat needs to learn to defend itself if it wants to eat." I told her she had two choices: give me the cat now or animal control will come to your house, take the cat and dogs and you both will be incarcerated. (Mind you I was not interested in having a cat) As I waited, she discussed this with her husband and gave me the cat. To not take action makes one the abuser as well. It's a tough thing to do but someone has got to stand up for the animals and to make others aware that they are abusers. I maintained friendship, although strained at first, and when she saw the cat after a few months at its normal weight of 12 lbs. and happy, she told me it was the right thing to do, even tho' she didn't like what happened.

So if you truly care about and love animals/chows it is important to take action and create a paradigm shift in your future sister-in-law's mind and her husband's mind as well. They just want a watchdog and see a dog as an object of protection and little worth. What is your fiancé's brothers participation in this abuse? Good luck on this situation. Hope the chow will be out of that horrific place soon.
Jennifer & Sheena
P.R. Bear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by P.R. Bear »

What about your future bro-in law? Isn't he helping care for the pup? If it was me I'd let them both know that I'd have no problem calling animal control on them. If possible, could you take in the pup? I'm a believer that if you are going to keep your dog (unless its a working dog) outside then you shouldn't have one. They are a part of the family.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

I will offer some observations, but no recommdations.

Years back, i had a chow that had no interest in coming inside. His preference was to be outdoors. It was always available to him if he wanted, just his choice. We had a concerned neighbor who called animal control and they insisted we provide a shelter for him. We bought it and never once did he step inside or otherwise utilize it...just his preference because every chow i have owned since would do anything to avoid the rain.

I currently have a 2 year old male and an 8 month old female. The male has never ever had a piece of dirt on him. He is the cleanest dog i have ever known. The female is a mess. She can't take a drink out of the water bowl without completely soaking herself and leaves everything from yesterday behind in the water bowl off her chin. She is never without water, but soaks up the entire bowl in her front fur and leaves behind yesterdays junk and silt...point being dont assume your friends chow is being ignored from water needs.

If there is definitive proof of abuse or neglect, then contact the authorities. But if all other signs (weight, etc) are in order, you might reconsider.
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

I'm sorry, but I'd have animal control out. Or take the dog myself. And if she tried to blow it off and try to make it seem like not such a big deal, I'd lose it on her. That's a living being that depends on her to take care of him and she's failing miserably at being a dog parent. The dog being outdoors isn't the issue. My dad has made my mix boy Jasper become an outdoor dog in recent months but he's still loved and taken care of just as well as my other dogs. The issue of no water and his collar being too tight IS an issue.

I'm sorry I seem harsh, but if she doesn't see that it is a big deal then she needs a serious wake up call.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

I once had to take a stance on what I saw that was wrong. I had a feeling that it would end badly. And it did. I know in my heart that what I saw and reported that it was the right thing to do. When, everything that I tried to do turned bad and certain relatives turned against me, I knew I did the best I could. You have to trust your heart and do what you need to do. There are consequences, and you have to own up to them. If, how they treat a poor defenseless pup, how then would they treat their own future children? That goes hand in hand.
wokman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by wokman »

Good point Me and Tess, animal abuse could be the beginning of other future types of bad behavior. I would nix Animal Control it may be the last place the dog ever knows. Rescues are often overcrowded even for cases of all but the most serious cases of neglect. Do not blame yourself, your intentions were good. Learn from the experience and check all potential adopters weather they are Family or not. Gifting a Pet often does not work out. Its Puppy Yelp time again hopefully all the new ones will find caring homes.
wokman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by wokman »

Corrections: (Rescues are often overcrowded except for the most serious cases of neglect.)
(Learn from the experience and check all potential adopters, even if they are Family members.)
CocoLeBear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CocoLeBear »

Wow, this sounds like a difficult situation. First, I'd want to go over there daily to check on the dog and make sure it has food, water, etc. Then, if you wanted to try something before calling the authorities, maybe you could put your anger aside and try to find a way to make it "safe" for her to give up the dog without admitting that she has done a horrible job at being a dog mom? As in, not be accusatory, talk about how hard caring for a dog is from your perspective, how you can understand how it can be hard, and then come up with an opportunity to get the dog out of there without her feeling like she's failed and the dog is being taken away from her? perhaps you could talk about how you'd love to have the dogs together and how you were thinking about getting another dog, and how you love her dog and if she ever wanted a break or needed help taking care of it, you'd love to help? Maybe, if you gave her an out, she'd be able to take it? Just an idea. If that didn't work, I would talk to my local rescue or animal shelter about how you can document the situation to get the dog removed. Good luck, this must be so difficult for you.
Cinnamon34
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Cinnamon34 »

Hello and blessings, My name is Quvonda but you can call me Shannon, I offer my friendship and love, nice to meet you... I know this is very hard, and we are not perfect people, we all make mistakes, and have some kind of problems in our lives, that's why our Lord is so important to lead us and change us unto the children of God we suppose to be... Love is looked at thru the eyes and heart of the beholder, and we can lead with our own hearts, but we must let God lead our hearts, for our heart can mislead us.. looking at it from our Lord's holy word which I believe in, this is what I can only tell you, is first pray on this and ask our Lord to guide you on this, I know you love your friend, and human life is important for us to love and be there for one another, as well as GOD created all life, animals as well, and we are to love all life, but we are all not equal (animals), but there is a right and wrong way to treat and handle things.. The animal being outside is not the problem at all, animals are really suppose to be outside, they are animals, its the way God created them, they really don't need us, but some of us love animals so much we want them part of our families, as family, and treat them like one, and that's ok, because if you do own one, you suppose to treat them good, with love and care, but them being outside is not apart of someone mistreating them, it's just some of us look at things from our own hearts on how we do things and want others to do the same way, we show love in different ways, but only one way matter in my eyes, and that's the way God wants us to love... The problem is at more at hand here, is the no water, and collar being too tight etc., things like this what this precious animal needs, you can make his home very nice in the yard, but it needs food, water, attention, and not to be chained all the time, its a life and a animal, this is the biggest problem at hand here... I cannot tell you what to do, all I can give you is the word of God, pray and then when you fell God is leading you, and know you must talk open heartly to your friend and family, and tell them how you feel and what's wrong. that this friend is doing, but say with love, and if it don't work out pray again, reach out again, try your best with love, maybe you can help out if your family is not coming around, until she comes around, but if you reach out with everything and she still want... I know you would have no choice then to try to save this precious animal for I know our Lord would want what's right and just, but don't give up on your family relationship, pray always for them and forgive them no matter what, sometimes we can reach out with everything we have in still get rejected, but if we want to be the children of GOD we must turn and make our Lord Jesus Christ, Lord and King of our lives, so we can be made whole and reflect our Lords Glory on the world, so people can come to our Lord in believe on him in be saved!!.. bless you and your family, may our Lord guide your heart... love y'all!!!... remember Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life!!!!!!!
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Wow.
chow4life
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chow4life »

What can i say..... double wow.