Distractions during walks

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

YMMV
Rank 0
Rank 0

Distractions during walks

Post by YMMV »

Hey everyone. Had a question for everyone when you walk your beautiful chows. Leah walks pretty well on a leash (for me and my dog walkers) but she gets easily distracted with birds, bees (yikes!), squirrels, lightning bugs, (etc) and wants to dart off and chase. Is there a way to calm her down and/or establish a way so she stays calm? This might be normal, might be me over thinking, but just wanted a opinion on it. BTW, Leah is only 6 months old. TIA.

Edit. Just realized this might have been better off in the training forum. Please move if it does. Thanks.
applebear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Distractions during walks

Post by applebear »

I went through this with 2 of my dogs, and it drives me nuts. lol I figured with my chow/husky, it was because he was so husky. When I got my chow, I admit I was disappointed he was drawn by the same things and over reacted all most as bad. However, he isn't nearly on the level as my mix. My past two chows showed interest in it, but weren't motivated enough to make a scene. Kind of like "if it comes up to me and hops into my mouth, I'd chew on it...but if not, meh."

I don't know if I did what was the best method, but I just tried the best I could. With both dogs, I simply stopped once they started having a reaction towards the animal and made them sit. Not as easy as it sounds, but praise and treats when they did...chow/husky was too over stimulated, where chow was more willing to refocus for reward. It helps if they have food motivation. My chow/husky does not, so makes it much harder.

Never reward for the behavior you don't like, don't try to sooth them with "It's ok," etc.. Just simply ignore it. If she won't calm and sit, simply turn around and go home. Walk ends there, try again a little later. <-THAT is what helped my chow/husky. He WANTED to walk, I used it to my advantage. We moved forward when we behaved, if we didn't after a reasonable amount of time...we simply went home. I didn't sit there yelling NO or begging him to stop, just plainly turned around. I did this when he overreacted towards other dogs too, one such incident he was screaming at neighbors dog while we were trying to talk. I said excuse me, put him in house and went back out. He has NEVER gone into a fit like that again since that day.

Now with my chow [5 months], not nearly as stressful. I was just outside and there was a rabbit right across the street. Normally this use to send him into a yapping rage, pulling and choking himself at end of lead. He did get a bit over excited but soon as I said, "Nah...move on," he ran the other direction away from the rabbit, where I immediately praised him. He would look over here and there, but he had given up the idea he was going to run screaming after it...to me, this is acceptable or at least 'good enough.' With time, as he matures, I expect it to improve with consistency and work.

Hope that helps and good luck!
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

We live in the mountains & Lilly's walks are pretty independent. Since the bees & yellow jackets are in their high mode Lilly's attention seems to be on them. Lilly has a high prey drive & it is pretty hard to tune it down up here in Northwest Montana. Her distractions are multiple. I am sure Lilly has been bitten. I went outside several days ago without my shoes and within a couple of steps I stepped on a yellow jacket. Thank goodness Lilly isn't allergic. Tess was an old girl when we moved up here and I never had to worry about her and the consequences of a "high prey drive." Not sure what to do in a urban setting.
YMMV
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by YMMV »

Thanks!

I have started using a Easy Walk harness and that has been helping a lot (with her trying to chase). SO far after a few walks she hasn't pulled or try to dart off. Also, like applebear said, I stop and tell her to sit until I have her full attention. I would love nothing more then letting her go and run around but just too many cars in the neighborhood.