cream chow and china dolls

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

masik
Rank 0
Rank 0

cream chow and china dolls

Post by masik »

Hello! I've been doing a lot of research recently and decided that I want a cream chow, a girl. Now, I also have been reading through horror stories about puppies from puppy mills that have a lot of health problems. The only puppy that I found is here http://chinadollchows.com/chinapups.html
beautiful cream girl. However, I live on another edge of the country, so I won't be able to travel all the way to TX to see her in person. Whats more, its a lot of money and I won't want to spend this fortune for some sick puppy. So what should I do? I'm willing to take a risk if I know that they are a reputable kennel. Does anyone have any experience with them? Or does anyone knows of any other kennels that breed high quality dogs? I looked all over the internet, but they either don't have web site at all, or look like scams.
Let me know, I'm really lost. It looks like mission impossible :(
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: cream chow and china dolls

Post by kitten1426 »

I don't know were you located but why not Rescue a Poor chow...there are so many that need a home.We Got Kodi pictured below he was 7 weeks old when we picked him up..From chow chow rescue of NY...he is 2 yrs old now and a great DOG..we love him lots..
Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida
cinziao
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by cinziao »

I had a very bad experience with china doll.... I got a puppy there and had to return it after 8 days, At the time she did not have contracts or did any health (OFA) testing at all. The puppy i got was extremely aggressive... i had it tested by a chow behaviorist and he told me to return it. It was very sad but it the end I adopted a chow from a shelter who is GREAT!!!!
Last edited by cinziao on Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
maikinda
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by maikinda »

I looked at the website and didn't see anything about health clearances on the dogs. I saw nothing about a contract. I did see that they charge 10.00 a day if you don't get your puppy by 8 weeks, but they only ship on Sundays? Sounds like a way to add extra charges. I would have a lot of questions.

There are a lot of great dogs in rescue, I've seen some beautiful creams. A great option to consider.

Laura
Attachments
Micah tag.jpg
Micah tag.jpg (12.41 KiB) Viewed 6505 times
Betsy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Betsy »

I bought a beautiful cream chow from Chinadoll Chows. Met the owner, Jettie. Our beautiful girl is now 1 1/2 years old. She is very well socialized. Great disposition. She goes to Doggie Day Camp and loves to play. She knows how to play dead, wave hi and bye, jumps through hula hoops etc. We got her at 8 weeks and I was nervous. I have family in Texas so we flew to Houston and rented a car and drove to pick her up. If you look on Chinadolls website under shipping, it discusses the shots and health of the puppies. I just purchased another puppy from Chinadoll Chows as our Lab passed away awhile back and we want another puppy to play with Charley. I asked for references before buying Charley and spoke to many other people with Chows from this breeder before I purchased ours. I am not certain how someone can claim that an eight week old puppy is vicious. Even our Lab chewed and bit on things as a puppy as he was teething but you are talking about a baby basically so I am at a loss for why someone would say that. We are very happy with this breeder. I hope this answers any questions.
cinziao
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by cinziao »

I Am so glad you had a good experience…. I just said that I had a bad experience and that I have learned since then about contracts and OFA testing is SO important (not just health checks and shots). i also think its important to meet the dog especially if you have children…. The puppy we got was aggressive and it was not the right situation for us since I have children in and out of the house. I couldn't take the risk of a severe bite or any bite. I trusted the behaviorist and his opinion….he is very well known in the CHOW world. He said to me and i quote "this dog will bite someone within 6 months" Return it! The next day as my 5 year old was watching T.V on the floor the puppy bit her in the face (UNPROVOKED), She also bit my husband through the web on his thumb when he was trying to leash her to go to the bathroom………Jettie sent the puppy I returned to a couple without children. I think a better situation for her!
The chow I have now i got when she was 6 months old from a rescue and she adores my daughter and the zillion children that come in and out of the house, so in the end it all worked out.
ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ski »

Absolutely...please consider a rescue. There are so many great purebred chows out there. We have two rescues and it has been such an amazing experience. Our chows were "only children" for quite some time before we had a grandson. We were concerned about how they would react to a baby having never been around children for long periods of time. Wow...they are so loving and protective. We have never had a second thought about our decision.
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

I will throw my two cents in here on getting a rescue. Both of my chows are rescues. I love them. They are really great dogs. They are dogs, and you have to WORK with them and train them, but you get out what you put in and more.
Betsy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Betsy »

Rescues can be a great alternative. A good friend of mine had a bad experience with a rescue that kept biting. Her legs were covered in bites and scratches before they had to return the dog. It was not a Chow. I have had wonderful dogs that were rescues but need to be careful as the one I am talking about I believe was badly mistreated and hopefully found a good home. Our Lab that passed was rescue and when we first got him., if you raised your hand to pet him he would cower. It was heartbreaking. We want a young puppy so we are getting another one from Chnadoll Chow. This will be the third chow I have socialized. I really love the breed. Each family needs to find what dog best fits their needs and lifestyle. My friend ended up with a chocolate Lab that is great with kids. Our Chow is well socialized but I spend time with her and she even does doggie day camp on occasion for only a couple hours at a time as we miss her. Dogs bring so much love into a home.