Stating my opinion, let me know yours

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

saskanechi
Rank 0
Rank 0

Stating my opinion, let me know yours

Post by saskanechi »

I just wanted to state my opinion not only about chows, but dogs in general. I don't own a chow, though I am planning to get one some day. Everytime I mention to someone (that I know or online forums) that I am a fan of chows and that I would like one, they seem to try to discourage or dissuade me into getting one because of the chow's reputation of aggression (and the amount of grooming). Obviously, I know this from research and I have met chows myself who are the sweetest dogs. I honestly think that it is unfair for people to be biased on dogs based on their breeds. I know pitbulls, sheppereds, etc Have this bad rep as well. I think that yes, dogs can be aggressive. But I believe that it's not the dog's fault, but the owner as well. Like people, nobody is born bad. I don't believe in stereotyping people and stereotyping dogs. The owner is responsible of training the dog, otherwise, how would it know what's right from wrong? I've had a Japanese spitz and a toy poodle, and guess what? The poodle was super aggressive compared to my spitz. And people say that poodles are sweet. Which proves my point that you can't really stereotype dogs. With the proper TLC(love training care) , the most "aggressive" dog types can be the nicest, in my opinion. What do you guys think?
Just my two cents (although pennies have been taken off in Canada lol)
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Stating my opinion, let me know yours

Post by Boogie and Linda »

What I have found with Chows is not that they are overly aggressive but that they don't give off typical "dog" warning signs before becoming aggressive. A lot of shelter workers and vets don't like them because of this. Once you get to know your chow, you will better know how to read him. Socializing your chow is very important so he gets used to different situations as well. Every dog has its own personality and the same goes for Chows. Just be aware that they are not a typical dog.
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

See, I have heard that same thing and when I watch Ty at the vets office (granted I know my dog so a little bias) but he gives SO many warning signs of being uncomfortable and stressed such as panting and breathing heavy. Ears go back, tail goes down or behind, *Censored Word* glands released, etc. And still no snapping, he'll run and pull away first... He'll huff if he's intimidated like most chows...and still no snapping or biting. So if that's typical chow behavior then to me, that's plenty...
ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ski »

I have two chows by chance, not by choice. I was always fearful of the breed. I had dogs all my life but then we found this homeless chow. He was so amazing. Even in his very unhealthy state he had an attitude about him I couldn't help but admire. He is not like any other dog I have ever known. I didn't know what to expect. He is not aggressive but has a very strong prey instinct. He is, however, very protective of his family. Our second chow is not chow like at all...very affectionate and shy with low self esteem. I guess my point is that every dog has its own personality, like people. It is hard to generalize.
diesel
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by diesel »

I really think that it's a stereotype like boogie and Linda said, it's the warning signs that will get you. I have met tons of chows and one isn't like the other but I do think that it's the owner behind the fluff ball. It all stems down from the pack, rather him( or her) is alpha or their human is.

My two cents!
sengeoz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sengeoz »

Saskanechi: Chows are not a breed for everyone and there are alot of erroneous pieces of information about Chows out there in the public realm, and sadly even amongst veterinarians. That being said, there is a long and comprehensive article, entitled Don't Buy a Chow, that gives an indepth view of what living with a Chow is really like. You can find this article at the bottom of my website (www.sengechows.net) as it necessary reading for anyone seeking to get a puppy from me. Have a read through and then you will be able to say to the curious and the detractors alike that you are well aware of what living with a Chow will be like.
Judith-Ann
Sengé Chows, VIC (Australia)
diesel
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by diesel »

I love your article :) I read up on thy before i adopted my boy.
DanielNY
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by DanielNY »

diesel wrote:I love your article :) I read up on thy before i adopted my boy.
Me too! Incredibly helpful.

@Saskanechi: To further elaborate on your point about dog owners, yesterday while I was in a dog run with my puggle, a shiba-mix started harassing Mac from the second I closed the gate: growling, showing teeth, right down to biting Mac's ear and neck. After about 3 minutes of this, I finally shouted to the owner to please get her dog off mine. She half-heartedly said "no ... stop it ... don't" from across the yard and went back to her iPhone just as her dog's fangs latched on to Mac's neck. At this point I lost it (i hate loosing it in public) - and screamed at her to control her animal. She had the audacity to say to me "that's how dog's play" ... to which I snapped back "no, that's how dog's bite and hurt other dogs." This continued for another 5 minutes or so (while I got Mac's leash ready to put back on him to leave) and she then said to me "your dog's biting too." All I could say at this point was "it's funny that when my chow does exactly the same thing nobody seems to think that he's 'just playing.'"

So I left in a huff and tried to calm down the now-neurotic puggle ... thanking God that I didn't have Sunny B with me (my chow).

My point (finally) is that I believe you are correct ... the owner/trainer bears primary responsibility for the animal's demeanor and behavior. Said owner also then shoulders the burden of financial responsibility if their pet hurts another person's pet or (even worse) the person. I say worse because when its another person, there's usually a huge lawsuit that goes along with it.

I've only had my Sunny B for about a month (from rescue) - he's 3 and a half and only nuetered this past June. He's still got testosterone coursing thru him and other dogs can apparently sense this and are always trying to be aggressive with him. He's a small chow (only 35 pounds), but all the chow idiosyncrasies are there. I haven't learned to read him quite well enough yet to see when he's about to snap, but I've seen him snap ... and it happens REALLY fast with little to no warning. I live in NYC and there are tons of people and other dogs (as well as a multitude of distractions) around constantly. Being in public with Sunny B is a complete balancing act: keeping him in control and making him believe that I'm fully in control (while also trying to make myself believe I'm fully controlling the situation). Its a LOT of work, but I have wanted a chow since I was 10 years old (and I'm 49 now). I can't even begin to describe the feelings I get when I see him looking at me ... wanting to play or go out or anything! His tail practically quivers when he gets excited and his black eyes flash silver. I swear it looks like he's smiling when he looks at me.

And that ... right there ... makes everything ok.
Rococo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Rococo »

I know the stereotype, but just never understood it. I have met many, many chows before I got mine (my cousin has one, and I've met several through a local chow chow owners' association), and I've only ever come across one who growled at me when I tried to go near him. Others were very friendly, several not so much, but that's par for the course for a chow. I don't know if they all just happen to be well-trained, I just know that my pom/shih tzu mix was A LOT more aggressive than any chow I've ever met!
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Stereotyped. Yes. Many hours of grooming? Yes too. But they compensate on being sweet and loyal and does not swap you for your friends treat.