Repost: Rory had a good day

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Repost: Rory had a good day

Post by Rory's Dad »

Somehow my original got posted in the New Members section...currently on the road and posting with a notebook that i hate..but anyway to rebrag on Rory...

Great Show results for Rory today. Took Best of Winners for a 3 Point Major show win. Showed with great Chow attitude and played up for the judge. BOB would have been nice but 2nd only to the number 3 ranked US Chow female.

Not to be left out, Amber took her class and was 2nd among the non-special females. Not bad for just her 3rd outing at a bit over 6 months old.

Will try to post the pics tomorrow, but we are on the road through Sunday.

Added news for today, Amber beat Rory and took her 1st Show point today. Not a ton of entries for tomorrow, but chance for both to earn a point if they finish in the right order. Better numbers for the weekend with Major points up for both days.
applebear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Repost: Rory had a good day

Post by applebear »

Wtg to both of them! Look forward to seeing lots of pictures. :)
Fozzbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Fozzbear »

Well done!
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

Great news but of course I would like to hear more from the weekend shows. Pictures would be great too.

Brutus
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Since 612 asked, I will update...but the news is not all good.

And on the 3rd day Amber had enough...she decided to get nippy during brush outs and we pulled her rather than risk a DQ. Not a hole lot better today even after bringing her back to the hotel with us. She's only 6 months so we decided not to push her too much and make it a negative experience.

Rory was not thrilled that Amber left the show site, but showed quite well. He didn't even place today. Gotta go with a judging issue. There were a couple other dogs that I thought we his equal, but the worst of the dogs (in my opinion) took all the points. A friend of mine left yesterday and took his dogs to MD based on the judge and perhaps he was onto something.

Not complaining because I would have been good if one of the other dogs took it, but there was some serious differential down to the winning dogs. The judge excused one female and refused to reward GCH points to one of the specials. Go figure.

Anyway, tomorrow is another day, and the hotel comped my room due to a really unruly collection of pre-teen lacrosse teams running the hotel. Good thing none of their parents are Chow owners or the dogs would end up with a really bad reputation.
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

I'm no expert but your friend that has been showing along time knows most of the judges and what they are looking for. Some judges just like big heads, other just look at movement and so on. He knows which judges likes his dogs more and which ones he know better hoping that will help too. I was told when I left the ring to ask the judge what he liked or disliked and write it down. If and judge likes your dog (you win pionts) then see which other shows he is at and enter there. The good news is there is a different judge today and most likely at the next shows too.

You have very nice dogs so don't be discourage by not winning, nobody wins all the time. Even the chow that won best of breed at Westminster doesn't. I would rather win the last day of the shows then the first because the next shows aren't for at least a week and the ride home is better if you win the last one.

Good luck today.

Brutus
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Now mind you, i am trying to remain somewhat neutral here in the NE area of Chow showing, but its more political than judge preference on what type of chow they like. As i said, i saw certain chows this past week that i would have been OK not beating. It was the ones that did win, and the owners that make me question the process. And this is not the 1st time. My friend (and you know who he is 612), basically told me that even though he handles top ranked chows, he will not even enter against that group because they only enter when they know the judge will decide in their favor. I am not a sore sport and absolutely look at the dogs and can understand when there is a better dog that was awarded the win. But, when my dog, and (for example) 5 others that definitely look better are not awarded points, ya gotta wonder. The winner of the females today (no difference to me as i pulled Amber) had a pink spot square on the front of her tongue. Yesterdays had such a wicked overbight it was hard to figure how it ate. Again, i pulled my 6 month old since she was stressed, so i didnt have points up for her. And the male that beat out Rory was a pretty nice dog, so i have no issue with not getting crossover points.

Been saying it for a very long time, but Chow showing is this area is way more political than it is about the dogs. Competing factions, lack of numbers due to owners/handlers picking judges that will favor them, etc.

Real happy with Rory's 3 point major and Amber's 1st show point, i just hate losing efforts for the wrong reasons.
maikinda
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by maikinda »

Congratulations on the major win! Would love to see the picture.

Laura
Attachments
email card.jpg
email card.jpg (18.44 KiB) Viewed 8665 times
maikinda
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by maikinda »

<And on the 3rd day Amber had enough...she decided to get nippy during brush outs and we pulled her rather than risk a DQ>

If Amber has not come in heat yet, that might be part of it. Not unusual for the girls to get cranky just before coming in. Just a thought,

Laura
Attachments
email card.jpg
email card.jpg (18.44 KiB) Viewed 8664 times
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Was thinking the same thing Maikinda, but she still isnt there. Just a normal crank i think. She is a slob and gets her entire front wet with every drink of water, therefore requiring plenty of grooming. That is where she set the line. I will be spending the next few weeks working with her to convince her grooming is FUN. Don't think i will have much success changing her drinking habits, so that is what it is.

Figure Rory will let us know when the season is upon us, but not yet.
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

Laura,
You certainly have way more experience than Rory's Dad or I in the show ring and wonder what your advice for dealing with the politics? He seems to have more living on the east coast . I've heard more than seen but for the most part everyone I've met have been great to us. Maybe it's because he uses a handler and we don't. I know judges use to show dogs and have many friends that still do. Is it an unspoken code to give long time friends/veterans help in the ring. Kinda like they do in sports. And like any business is it ok to call the office (AKC) and report it.

A big part for us for showing Brutus was to meet chow people and their great chows. Everyone likes winning but at the end of the day we just have 1 chow. The interesting thing is we were lucky to get such a great boy and he has very common lineage on his dire side as your dogs. Lots of Mei-Lings and Loray's. The great part is his mothers side is over 50% from Marjorie Evans breeding and before getting him we had no idea who she was. We're waiting until he's 3 to show him next so he can fully mature and maybe take him to nationals. What fun would that be.

Brutus
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Funny you mention the socialization aspect of the shows 612, because that is really a big part of why we show. To tell people that dont have chows and have that reputation in there heads, its great to tell them about how well behaved our dogs are. How they walk through 1,000 other dogs of all breeds, types, and sizes (no exaggeration, just not all at the same time) without blinking, or how they maneuver all the strange folk, and how they allow complete strangers to inspect teeth and touch their 'bits'. Or how well behaved they are when crated and waiting for their ring time. In Rory's case, he even manages to behave quite nicely when surrounded by females in season.

There really is no other experience that can duplicate what these dogs see when showing. The socialization and the leash discipline is so important. Don't get me wrong, i want CH Designations for my dogs, but the show experience really works towards having a well adjusted dog. They learn that they are expected to be well behaved (OK, Amber is still learning).
maikinda
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by maikinda »

[quote="612guy"]Laura,
A big part for us for showing Brutus was to meet chow people and their great chows. Everyone likes winning but at the end of the day we just have 1 chow. The interesting thing is we were lucky to get such a great boy and he has very common lineage on his dire side as your dogs. Lots of Mei-Lings and Loray's. The great part is his mothers side is over 50% from Marjorie Evans breeding and before getting him we had no idea who she was. We're waiting until he's 3 to show him next so he can fully mature and maybe take him to nationals. What fun would that be.

I showed because I enjoyed being with my dogs and meeting other chow people. Of course its always more fun if you win but I was always happy with the dog I took home. There are time that the win goes to the handler and not the dog. I could never understand why anyone would want to finish a bad dog? If you are going to let that bother you, don't show. There are still judges that will put up the best dog. Show to the judges that like your "type" of dog. It sounds like you have a nice pedigree behind your boy. Would like to see a copy.
Attachments
Micah tag.jpg
Micah tag.jpg (12.41 KiB) Viewed 8543 times
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

You probably know more about Brutus's dads parents then we do. They are CH LORAY'S QUEST OF CHARMAR and KAININS FROM HEAVENANDBEYOND ROM. You can check them out on the chow chow club website under pedigree if you wish.

Brutus
maikinda
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by maikinda »

[quote="612guy"]You probably know more about Brutus's dads parents then we do. They are CH LORAY'S QUEST OF CHARMAR and KAININS FROM HEAVENANDBEYOND ROM. You can check them out on the chow chow club website under pedigree if you wish.

I was confused because I had looked at the NP # you had listed in a post and didn't see how it went back. Must have been the wrong number. I am very familiar with Brutus's dad ( Quest ). Quest is a litter mate to my Lucy.

Laura
Attachments
101_0106 (428x640).jpg
101_0106 (428x640).jpg (231.22 KiB) Viewed 8488 times
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

CH LORAY'S QUEST OF CHARMAR and KAININS FROM HEAVENANDBEYOND ROM are his grandparents on his dad's side. His mom's side is heavy on the Charmar line. Lucy is very beautiful.

Brutus
maikinda
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by maikinda »

[quote="612guy"]CH LORAY'S QUEST OF CHARMAR and KAININS FROM HEAVENANDBEYOND ROM are his grandparents on his dad's side. His mom's side is heavy on the Charmar line. Lucy is very beautiful.

Thank you, she is a very good girl. I still can't find any record of Rory with this pedigree. Checked the bitches breeding record with Quest and can't find any Dunkan Todes Cunami listed. That is Rory's dad right? His pedigree shows his sire as ROSSY SHOGUN. I've gotten confused somewhere.

Laura
Attachments
Micah tag.jpg
Micah tag.jpg (12.41 KiB) Viewed 8480 times
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

Brutus (612guy's dog) is related to you Lucy, not Rory (Rory's Dad's dog). I see a lot of American breed dogs have common ancestor but BRUTUS and your dogs were very close. That's the reason I brought it up but didn't think I would hijack this thread. Sorry

Hope we still get to see Rory's winning photo.

612guy

Brutus
maikinda
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by maikinda »

612guy wrote:Brutus (612guy's dog) is related to you Lucy, not Rory (Rory's Dad's dog). I see a lot of American breed dogs have common ancestor but BRUTUS and your dogs were very close. That's the reason I brought it up but didn't think I would hijack this thread. Sorry

Hope we still get to see Rory's winning photo.

612guy
Sorry meant Brutus not Rory. Didn't mean to hijack the thread either, just interested in pedigrees. Interesting to see what is being produced.

Looking forward to seeing Rory's picture.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Yeah, thanks for hi-jacking my post...actually i could care less.

SO 612, here is the win photo for Rory, his 1st Major. I had a friend on site for this one, he was supposed to send photos, but completely failed to follow through. i think he got some great GSD photos though.

Sadly, we go nothing for Amber's 1st point, but i think she will have plently of opportunity coming up.
Rory_7_3_20130001.jpg
Rory_7_3_20130001.jpg (54.23 KiB) Viewed 8453 times
maikinda
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by maikinda »

Rory looks great! Your handler did a great job stacking him for the photo, really shows off his short back. Congratulations again!

Laura
Attachments
Micah tag.jpg
Micah tag.jpg (12.41 KiB) Viewed 8449 times
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Thanks Laura...absolutely love Sara, our handler. We have had offers to get Rory into shows she isnt attending but have flat out refused to let anyone else handle him. She does a great job with him and really understands his personality.

BTW..., dead on with Amber, she is full on heat now. I saw it coming, but was off by about two weeks. Rory has now noticed too. Another positive of his show experience as he has been around other females in season quite a bit and has learned to deal with it (somewhat).
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

Congratulations to you and Rory, he's looking great. And it happened on the 4th of July so you'll never forget. Thanks for sharing.

Brutus
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

I love the thought, but it was actually the 3rd, which is my mom's birthday. Was a 3 point major, so we put all the 3's together and gave her the credit. She wasn't even there but came out the week prior to watch the kids play in an outdoor show. Funny, we had about 10 people come out for that show, and the dogs didnt even notice...
Ingen
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Ingen »

Rory's Dad wrote:Yeah, thanks for hi-jacking my post...actually i could care less.

SO 612, here is the win photo for Rory, his 1st Major. I had a friend on site for this one, he was supposed to send photos, but completely failed to follow through. i think he got some great GSD photos though.

Sadly, we go nothing for Amber's 1st point, but i think she will have plently of opportunity coming up.
Rory_7_3_20130001.jpg
Rory looks magnificent! congratz on your win!