perfect vacation for chow

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

chow4life
Rank 1
Rank 1

perfect vacation for chow

Post by chow4life »

I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are regarding what would be the perfect vacation for a chow? I would love to go back to southern florida to the ocean but it would be a very long ride for Matilda. I live in the midwest so it would roughly take us 16- 20 hours. I know it would be easier for us to leave her at home and fly out but the problem is I don't want to leave her. She is a huge part of our daily life. Kids are grown. She loves to ride but it seems to stimulate her like clock work. So i'm thinking a very long ride might not be so good. Would love to hear ideas (pro's and con's) from everyone who has traveled with a chow.
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: perfect vacation for chow

Post by Me & Tess »

When we were back in SoCal & working, we boarded Tess (most of the time) when we went on vacations. She was really good about it except trying to get her in the door. When we moved to Montana, Tess road all the way with us (of course) and she was the best traveler; great in motels along the way. Every once in a while I would sit with her in the back seat. & when I was in the front seat with Mike she had to touch us with her paws every once in a while. Looking back, I so wish we took her on all of our vacations. Times lost. Perfect vacation for a chow is anywhere their owners are.
ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ski »

We have a vacation home in the mountains overlooking a lake. It is a five hour drive from our home and our chows Loki and Frisco make the ride very often. Loki has hip issues so we have a ramp for him. They both LOVE walks in the woods. As soon as we arrive at the lake, Loki paws at the door and only wants to be on the deck and he positions himself looking down the lake. It is a secure deck so he can't run off. They are so happy there. We often walk along a creek side and Loki loves to walk and even sit in the water. He has a fat groundhog friend who lives under a rock next door that taunts him. These are two lucky dogs!!!!!
Michael's Maggie May
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Michael's Maggie May »

You do not have to go all the way to South Florida, the panhandle of Florida would save you about 5 or 6 hrs driving time and the white sand beaches are prettier. There are very few places to take a dog to the beach in So. Fl. Ask me I know. Ft Lauderdale charges $5 a day to use about 100 yds of their beach. Check out St Georges Island for a vacation in the panhandle, I understand it is a dog friendly vacation.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I live in West Michigan near Lake Michigan. We have a dog beach right on the big lake that humans should be so lucky to visit. And drinking the water doesn't harm them, cause it's a lake!

twistedcaduceus
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by twistedcaduceus »

I live in Chicago and we have a dog park on our side of Lake Michigan as well. I know I'm up for at least a blow dry session whenever we go there. My Shadow just love soaking in the water. ANNYY body of water and it includes muddy puddles. LOL
JasonandNat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JasonandNat »

We live in Orleans (Ottawa), Ontario Canada, and head to Main (13 hrs), South Carolina (19 hrs) , North Carolina (17 hrs) annually and they love it. This year was FuShiLu's first big trip and she had a blast, loved the ocean, once she realized waves were not attacking, ShenLung has never been so relaxed, totally vegged out. We stop every 2 hrs for 20-30 min for walk, pee, water, etc.. We prefer staying at KOA's in the cabins with air. ;) This year was Cape Hatteras off the coast of North Carolina on the sandbar for 2 weeks. Dogs loved it, we loved it, Cape Hatteras loved us, very dog friendly even in stores, cafes, etc..