Resource guarding

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

cypruschowchow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Resource guarding

Post by cypruschowchow »

1 year old female chow growls at us if we want to take her bone, but not always, for the bones or food that she likes the most..how do I correct? Some people say do not correct growl because she might just start to skip growl and bite instead...some people say you must be firm and correct if she does growl...i don't know which way to go...any ideas?
P.R. Bear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Resource guarding

Post by P.R. Bear »

We had a similar problem with our girl. Our behavioralist said to teach her the "leave it" command. We would have 2 different treats, one in each hand, and hold out the one treat and tell her to leave it. Once she turned her head away we would praise her and give her the other treat. Once they understand the leave it command you can start working on the command with her bone. The goal is to get her to leave it so that you can pick it up. The idea is to treat her for leaving the bone and then giving her bone back. She will start to understand that she will get her bone back if she leaves it. We had all 4 of our dogs doing leave it within 30 minutes, they seem to catch on to this command quickly. It also comes in handy when one of the dogs gets to pushy, we just tell them to leave it and the dog will walk away. Stops fighting before it begins.

Hope this info will help you.
cypruschowchow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by cypruschowchow »

It certainly makes sense. Teaching that she doesn't need to growl sounds like the most logical to me too. We have never worked on "leave it" command, it is time to do so :) thanks for the input
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

In combination with the leave it command, i recommend getting the dog used to being provided for without reward. Leave it as instructed is great, no doubt, but it does teach the dog that an alternate reward is coming.

Start with feeding time. Only give 1/2 or 2/3rds of his normal meal to start. Let him finish that off, and then pick up his bowl and add the remainder. If he is showing guarding properties already, get him used to that. Work slowly towards being able to pick up the bowl while he is still eating that initial portion. An intermediate step could be not picking up the bowl, but just adding the 2nd helping while he is still at it.

This will show him there is nothing negative associated with you handling his resources.

The chow may also be selectively guarding since you say it doesnt happen every time. Dogs have a value system...one bone may be nickel that they dont mind giving up, while another may be a $100 bill that they arent willing to part with.

Show your dog that there is no downside to letting you have the bone for a while. Work with the less interesting bone and then use that to gain his interest. Take it and toss it to another spot on the floor where he can easily get it. Don't use "leave it" commands in this excercise. Leave it is intended to prevent your dog from getting things that he CANT have. With leave it, he doesnt get it. Think poisons, etc with leave it. Leave it also assumes he hasnt got it in his mouth yet. That's when "DROP" comes into play. You are rewarding his response to listen and not get into something that will harm him.

Build up his acceptance of your interference until you can reach in and take anything out of his mouth or grasp without negative response. You don't have to have a food reward anymore, and he trusts that he will get it back and maybe even get some interaction time as well.
gebower
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by gebower »

Hi Everyone,
Never had that problem with my Chows. We can literally stick our hands in their bowl when they're eating or take away their favoirite treat, (Pigs Ears) no aggression at all. Food agression does not exist in them. I think that would bother me a lot if my Chow growled at me like that. One thing that I've used to stop them dead in their tracks is the LOUD, SHARP "AH, AH, AH!!!!!" I only have to use that when Zeena wants to kick Max's butt again. It stops her just like that. They don't like that sound at all. Talking to them is pretty much useless in this case. Show your disproval with EMPHASIS!!!!!!
Just saying what works for me.
Gene.
Gene
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

I agree with Rory's Dad. "Leave it" is just that, don't touch. Rewarding them for doing it is great, but using another treat for that reward is not always possible. A reward can be as little as a good scratch, that's what I used to teach my two the leave it command. I did it because I didn't and don't want them picking up chicken bones, from people etc on the street when we walk. I just learned that they have it down that they will ignore dead things in the woods, even when I'm not around, they don't try to reach them. (One of the friends who took them out and such when I was in the hospital, said they saw a dead animal in the woods during their walk but a tug and a come was all it took for the two to ignore it and keep going)

The method Rory's Dad suggests is perfect, it is what I used to break Firesong's resource growling along with directing her to her own dish. Once I had her leaving Darkwind alone to eat then I worked on picking up her dish, just as he said. When training Dreamdancer as a puppy I did the same with him. Now total strangers can come in the house and move their dishes when needed and the two don't growl or snarl or threaten to bite.

For this I wouldn't use the AUGHT, AUGHT, thing, (I wish I could figure out why dogs hate that sound, but they all do) because you don't want her to feel she's being punished for eating. It could make things worse. You want her to be confident that she is going to get her food, and any treats you give without interference.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
gebower
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by gebower »

Not punished for EATING, punished for GROWLING at you, there's a difference, a BIG difference. And "AH AH!" is not "punishment", it's a correction. Big difference there too. Please.
Gene.
Gene
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I think the ah ah is a great tool. We also use tst tst. They generally get that for things like compulsive licking though. There is also a difference between DROP IT and LEAVE IT. Both are excellent tools. If you can perfect BRING IT with these other commands, you will have a great arsenal of commands. All of these take time. If you invest now, you can nip asset guarding in the bud...BTW, mine never did master BRING IT. Sigh...
cypruschowchow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by cypruschowchow »

I have read somewhere that correcting growling might make the dog skip growling part all together and bite instead...
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

You are not correcting the growling, but rather correcting the guarding behavior. Completely not the same. You need to teach your dog that the food or toys are not at risk. No negative consequence for allowing you or anyone else to put hands in and take it away. He will either be rewarded with an alternative or be allowed more food.

Keep it simple and dont over think this. Your chow wont. They very quickly figure it out.