General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

cypruschowchow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Leaving chow behind for holiday

Post by cypruschowchow »

Hi all,

Mango is 1 year old female chow chow. For the first time I need to leave her at my parents home (they are retired, always home with big garden). I will stay away for 6 days in another country for summer holiday. Meanwhile they will take care of my girl. Apart from leaving them instructions as to her feeding, pooping, peeing, playing etc. habits, providing them her food and other stuff what other advices would you be able to give me to make this stay a plesure for all parties? I will stay at my parents' house for 2 nights before I leave so that I thought Mango would ease in to her new temporary home rather than just dropping her off and go...
gebower
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Leaving chow behind for holiday

Post by gebower »

YES!! Leave more than one object with your Chow with YOUR scent on it. When you leave them they can feel alienated and ABANDONED. So, leave something of you with your Chow. That way they have something to "hang onto to". It's always the best thing. I've had to kennel my Chows in the past and ALWAYS bring things from home expecially with our scent. Chow's world is their NOSE. Lots of people don't realize that. That's why my Chows can SMELL a cat walking down the street at night and bark at it. They certainly can't HEAR that cat walking. Cats make NO sound when they walk.
Gene.
Gene
Thomas
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Thomas »

Don't know if this will help but . . .

I used Skype on my laptop to call my wife when I was in Switzerland on business and we were able to do a video call where I could see and talk to our dogs. They knew it was me and even obeyed commands I gave them. I realize not everyone can use these things but Skype on a PC or MAC or smart phone is easy to use and costs nothing if it's Skype to Skype.

Just a suggestion.
cypruschowchow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by cypruschowchow »

Thankf for both advices. They both make sense. I do have skype on my ipad, so I can easily to that!