General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

lizmof
Rank 0
Rank 0

anxiety issues

Post by lizmof »

Hi,
I have a problem with my Kyra that I need help with...she is half chow (half shepherd) but from studying the different breeds the chow is the dominant personality in her..

Our property backs on to city parkland with a creek. We have lived here for 5 years. Nothing unusual, just some birds present (finches, ducks, etc) and smaller mammals (racoons, beavers) Occasionally a bird of prey (eagles, hawks, etc) flies overhead. Once we saw a cougar.

It used to be that Kyra would roam the parkland under supervision and be happy.

last week she sensed something strange and bolted into the house. She immediately hid under the bed. (which, for a large dog, is quite comical)

She has not been the same since and will whimper if asked to go outside, even if within her private yard area to do her business.
When indoors she is frequently agitated and paces, hides, whimpers, etc. Nothing physical has happened to her.

I have been loving and supportive but at a loss on what to do. I am not sure if this is something that she can deal with on her own or if I should be doing for her. I love her so much and want her happy again..

This is my first time posting with an issue of my own...not sure if this situation can be helped but I would really appreciate the feedback. O:)

Thanks,
Liz
ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: anxiety issues

Post by ski »

This is a slightly different scenario, but when we first rescued our chow, Frisco, we introduced him to an invisible
Fence which we had installed for another dog. He freaked out,ran in the house and did not want to go outside. We worked with him by taking him out on a leash for a few minutes at a time and gradually increased the time we spent together. I would sit on a lawn chair with him at my side to reassure him. It took about a week, but he slowly overcame his fear of that awful fence. By the way, he ever got a jolt from it. It was just the sound warning that frightened him.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

How old is Kyra? Whatever scared her, it left a big impression. You will have to work her through it. Snap on a leash and say whatever you do when going outside. Then, gently but firmly walk outside. If she tries to fight or whimpers, wait until she stops and keep going. Do NOT say 'It's okay' or anything soothing if Kyra whimpers. You are reinforcing the whimper. Once outside, sit down, or walk as she allows. Treat when she is being really calm. Repeat 3 times daily. Also, try not to assign behavior by breed. Things don't always run along breed common characteristics. Best of luck with Kyra. My Pip was a Chow Labrador mix and the best dog. She was awesome, and Kyra can be as well.
lizmof
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by lizmof »

Hi everyone,
Thanks so much for the feedback! I have been using the suggestions and Kyra is getting better, though a little skittish at times. She is 5 years old and is an awesome dog, just a little high strung.