General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

trry
Rank 0
Rank 0

CHOWS and pools..

Post by trry »

Hello all,
During huge spikes in temperature my chow gets heat exhaustion is it wise to get him a kiddie pool in the backyard where he can cool off or chows in general do not like water? I ask because I buy him a lot of items he does not use: doghouse, doggy bed, some treats, et al.

Thanks!
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: CHOWS and pools..

Post by Me & Tess »

I think it would be a good idea to buy a little pool for your Chow. Dogs also sweat from their paws. When I saw that Tess was overheating we would take a walk to our creek so she could cool off. Tess also loved the water, creeks & shallow rivers - though only 3/4s up her legs, any deeper she would back away. Lilly loves to walk in our creek & has laid in it on warm days, which surprised me. Our creek is only a few inches deep.
Fozzbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Fozzbear »

Fozzchops will not go out in the rain, but loves to paddle in a stream! Humphrey loves water and plays in the paddling pool at Canine Club whenever he is there. I'm going to get him a pool this summer. I'm sure your dog would love one if he likes to paddle.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

A kiddie pool is a must during summer. Cassie and Blue I have seen to splash in the concrete turtle pond. And the turtle doesn't even use it. :D
trry
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by trry »

Thank you all the responses. I will look into purchasing one!
lizmof
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by lizmof »

Mine is always anxious to go to the lake in the summer. loves the water but she will not swim but will go up to her knees. she is fascinated by water and if it is windy out wants to do nothing else but watch the waves. I wouldn`t say that they hate water but just hate swimming.

good for you on purchasing a kiddy pool, it will be good for your chow.