General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

gebower
Rank 1
Rank 1

Kenneling your Chow

Post by gebower »

Hi Everyone,
I've had to do it a couple of times. Don't really like it but, sometimes you don't have a choice. We're in Tucson, Arizona and we're going to Michigan to see family at Christmas. Max has already been kenneled before so he KNOWS we'll be back. I think the first time for them is the worst because in their minds they think, "I've been abandoned. That's it." So, it will be rougher on Zeena, she hasn't gone thru it yet. What I think helps is bringing a "part of home" with you for the kennel. Toys, favorite small rugs they like to lie on, etc. Otherwise with nothing from home, they feel totally alienated. Love to hear any thoughts on this subject for those who have had to kennel their Chows.
Take care, Gene.
Gene
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Kenneling your Chow

Post by chowpups »

I have had to privately kennel my chows and my golden and what Ive done is take them for just an overnight first so they know you come back and then when I had to leave them for longer periods they knew the person and place,and knew I'd be back for them!
Almost all my sitters have asked for a tee shirt not washed with my scent on it and a small blanket that they have slept with before so they know where to sleep at night and its familiar to them. I have been very lucky with finding private homes with just the owners dogs in the house and all got along, they would have a play date first to make sure they all got along.
Fozzbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Fozzbear »

Home boarding rather than a stark purpose-built kennel is the way to go.
If I had to do it, I would use my doggy walker as they know/love her and her dogs anyway so would be happy to go.
wokman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by wokman »

Smart of you to book this far in advance, there is little space left by Fall in the better kennels. The Kennel I have used did not allow items from home; they are part of a Corporate franchise. I feel better with them because they have to maintain standards set by the Corporation; not to say independent kennels are bad. I like Chowpups idea of the increasing overnight stays to reduce the feeling of being abandoned. My new Veterinarian has people listed who board in their homes, I would ask for references first; must be my Chow like suspicion of strangers. :lol:
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

We kenneled Tess. We had a wonderful vet in California that had an old house converted into his clinic. He was Apache's vet too. The back yard was fully fenced and the kenneling area was also fenced & the dog runs were of course fenced. He had young people who would walk and exercise the dogs being boarded. He had large trees that shaded the dog runs. Tess would give a fuss when I would bring her; imagine a cartoon that had a big black Chow putting all feet forward on the door encasement pushing back and a little person pushing her butt forward. They were really good to her. I did bring a blanket that had our smells on it. It did get totally ruined though. I think if your Chow prefers toys to get your smell on it & include them. Knowing now how good Tess was at traveling we should have brought her with us. A regret.

I would never board Lilly. I really think that she would take it badly.

It depends on the Chow.
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

I got my sitters name from my Vet ,and I should not have said private kennel but private home! My bad.
I think Bella likes his place better than here even cause she has more room to run with 2 buddies too!
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Because we show our chows, they both spend time away from home.

Rory is our 'old pro'. He is 19 months and has probably been away 20 times so far. Amber is our 6 month old and just returned from a 2 week vacation with our show handler.

Both are healthy, happy, and well adjusted. Think of it as a vacation for your pup as long as the place is right. Rory knows he has a 2nd family and loves spending time with them. We mention names before his next trip andhis tail will start wagging. When we drop him off for a show weekend he looks for the staff and really gets excited.

Amber built a great raport with them 1st time out as well. She came home happy and healthy, and some of her poor habits actually havent reappeared.

We all talk about sociallizing our Chows, and really, this is just another opportunity. As long as you have a responsible sitter, take advantage.