Total Newbie xx

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

loopylou3
Rank 0
Rank 0

Total Newbie xx

Post by loopylou3 »

Hi guys my name is Louise and am from the UK, just a quick question what are Chow like? My dad has wanted one for years when he got married to my mum 37 years ago he said to hehe would only ever get a chow but unfortunately for him us kids came along and he didn't get a chow.chow as we got other pets including and amazing dog Jet a Labrador x collie. It's his 60th birthday in august and I really want to get him his dream a chow we have cats and I do have another dog Brandy but she don't live with my mum and dad although I take her there so everything you guys know about chows reel it off here please I would be ever so grateful. Am sure my dad would too although he doesn't know I want to get him one :) xx oh yeah my mum and dad also have cats
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Total Newbie xx

Post by chowpups »

Louise as much as you'd like to surprise him and what a sweet thought .. I would definitely incorporate him in the decision and choice and your Mom.. There is alot to know about picking a chow puppy (can't go by looks they are all adorable) and if you have no information about chows this could be a disaster for your parents to deal with ..(health issues, temperment, etc.) I think your idea is sweet but getting a puppy is a lifetime commitment on your parents part and they have to be on board with it.. What I wanted years ago and what I want now are very different (I too will be 60)..theirs might be too.. Good Luck and think about maybe surprising him with a picture in a card of a chow and saying you'd like to make his wish come true if he still wants his chow and can we do it together..... and making sure they are up for a puppy..
I hate bursting a bubble but my gut says to include them in any decisions about a puppy.. and research chow breeders and info so you are informed if they decide to go ahead.. I can tell your heart is in it and Iam sure your Dad will know too even if its not a total surprise..Just you thinking of his wishes will make him happy Iam sure.
applebear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by applebear »

loopylou3 wrote:Hi guys my name is Louise and am from the UK, just a quick question what are Chow like? My dad has wanted one for years when he got married to my mum 37 years ago he said to hehe would only ever get a chow but unfortunately for him us kids came along and he didn't get a chow.chow as we got other pets including and amazing dog Jet a Labrador x collie. It's his 60th birthday in august and I really want to get him his dream a chow we have cats and I do have another dog Brandy but she don't live with my mum and dad although I take her there so everything you guys know about chows reel it off here please I would be ever so grateful. Am sure my dad would too although he doesn't know I want to get him one :) xx oh yeah my mum and dad also have cats
I'll be completely honest and hate to be a downer, but I agree with chowpups and I am not a huge fan of animals being given as gifts. Though your father wants a chow, I think it is very important that he pick out the chow himself. And lol I was just going to suggest [again like Chowpups], maybe another idea would be to give him a wrapped box with a picture of a chow in it. Then tell him, perhaps in a clever note with the picture, that he gets to pick a chow. Maybe line up a few breeder and rescue options to pick through. Yes it takes away the look on his face when he sees a cute puppy, but that feeling doesn't last. What does last is the individual chows personalty you picked. If he/she isn't a match to his own personalty, no one will truly be happy.

Anyhow, I really am not trying to be a downer and hope your father gets his dream chow...just let him in on it to be on the safe side! ;)
Mokoto
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Mokoto »

Hi There,

Would like to echo what the others said. I really would get him involved with the selection, if he still wants one. I would Urge him to research the breed as much as he can also.

myself,i wanted a chow from a very young age, how cute are tehy! I of course couldn't afford one until recently (30+ urgh :( ) even then, before i got my boy, i spent at least 6 months reading up on different Chow Chow forums and threads. Even contacting some of the UK Chow Chow owners club members for their advice.

It's not until you start reading about the Chow Chow as a specific breed you realise how much hard work is involved with bringing them up to be a polite and pleasant sole. It's because of their independent nature(ie. don't expect them to come running to lick your face off whenever you call them, they just won't) that i belive there are so many Chow Chows in pounds etc. It's not because they are bad dogs, it's because people have bought them on the assumption that they are like other dogs without fully reasearching them. I can see that you are doing your research by posting here in the first place, a good place to start indeed (this is where i started reading up on Chow's).

I hope your Father still wants one, but it must be under the right circumstances for everyone. I'm not trying to disuade you from getting him one. Just trying to give you some good advice before taking the plunge. Getting a Puppy is a massive thing, Getting a Chow Chow puppy trumps that :)
loopylou3
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by loopylou3 »

Thank you ever so much for all your feedback, I actually resent giving animals as gifts too as there living beings not toys, but I know my dad would look after one he is amazing in that sense. I totally agree with you all 100% though and I'm going to include him in the decision and I will buy him a chow chow book for his birthday so he can read up on the breed as he doesn't come online at all he's not with the times lol even if he decides a chow is not for him atleast he will have a book to read on his favourite breed and he will know I have his and the dogs best interest at heart. I really appreciate it thanks xx hopefully I,ll be showing of my dads chow in the future who knows xx
Fozzbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Fozzbear »

The book is a great idea! He may appreciate that more than the real thing - you never know!
loopylou3
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by loopylou3 »

Well not showing off per say, posting amazing pics of his new best friend :)
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Glad you under stood what we all were saying and took it in a positive way! You sound like you are on the right track to finding a good chow puppy if Dad wants one! And please get Dad up to snuff on the Internet so he can come on here and read and contribute maybe in the future! You can teach us older dogs new tricks really!!!!! there are a few of us in that age bracket!!!LOL
this forum is a great place to start to learn about chows, I am still learning things even after owning 3 !!

Nancy
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Lots of good advice. If your dad decides he wants to go ahead then do come back here as there are quite a few of us from the UK who could probably help you with breeders etc. As a rough guide a chow puppy from a good reputable breeder will be between £1250 and £1600 so if you see a bargain puppy on one of the find a dog sites, you will know it most likely is the product of a puppy farm and may come with many health and social problems. The best place to start looking is on the kennel club site where you will find information about whether a chow is suitable and also a list of KC registered breeders with puppies available. There are not many chow puppies in the UK and you may have a fair wait on a few breeders waiting lists.

http://www.the-kennel-club.org.uk/servi ... fault.aspx

Good luck and I think the idea of a book about chows is a great idea as chows are not your average dog and can be a shock to someone who is used to have an off lead dog with recal and obedience. Not words most of us use that often in the same sentence as the word chow :lol:
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
sue
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sue »

I agree with the advice everyone has given you Chows are rare in the UK.If you have discussed it with your dad & decide to go ahead you may have along wait most breeders have a waiting list of people wanting puppys.The best advice i would give anyone is to ask for the puppy to be taken a vet near where the breeder lives but not the vet the breeder uses for a full check up that you pay for it will probably cost about £30 but its money well spent a vet can find things you may not be able to see.If a breeder refuses then dont buy the puppy from them.Make sure you get the puppy insured straight away.The two things chows can suffer from are Entropian (in growing eyelids) & leg & hip problems.Entropian operations will cost at least £500 & leg/hip problems even more.If he does get one he will have the most devoted,loyal friend anyone could ever ask for :D
applebear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by applebear »

I love the book idea...keep us posted! :)
wokman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by wokman »

The following link has the A to Z's on the Chow Chow breed. Agree with all that has been said some surprises can turn into night mares when all are not involved in the decision.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chow_Chow