Arizona Chows

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Bella Nonna
Rank 0
Rank 0

Arizona Chows

Post by Bella Nonna »

Hello everyone I'm new to this site and I need some information if anyone out there can help. I have had Chows almost my entire life but when I lost my love Suke le I just didn't want another one. Well it's been quite a few years since she passed and I miss having a Chow in my life and I am looking for another puppy but I am finding out that Chows are very scarce in Arizona for some reason. You used to be able to find puppies in the Sunday paper all the time, not anymore. My question is, is there anyone out there that lives in Arizona, preferably the valley, that has Chows and breeds them?
That you, hope to hear from someone.
gebower
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Arizona Chows

Post by gebower »

Hi
I iive in Tucson and have two purebred Chows. I have lived here 4 years now and brought my Chows from Michigan. It was a little rough when we got here which was July 2. They can go out in the morning but, need to be in the afternoon. We have a swamp cooler so you can leave a door ajar so they can come in when they want.
When it gets 90 plus, (and I've seen 112) I fill their water bowl with ice and fill with water and fans around too. They've done alright.
It's true there isn't many purebred Chows in Arizona. I haven't seen any except mine. And breeders? Good luck. Most are out of state.
Gene
Gene
applebear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by applebear »

I was a lot like yourself...got chows years ago, back when you could find a dozen in your local paper and I waited a long time before I was ready for another. I think a lot have just simply gotten out of it because they probably don't sell well enough and bsl [our state is quite known for the banning :(]. When I did search, all I found were two [in my state and surrounding ones]...first one wanted more for her male because, "He will make pretty babies." The next had a paypal button on the bottom of their website. I refused to support a byb or mill, which both obviously were.

I ended up going with a breeder out of state, tho I did try to find a rescue and searched through shelters first, but the ones I did find didn't get along with other dogs. Have you tried searching petfinders or anything like that? Maybe that would be a good place to start. :)

Best of luck!
Bella Nonna
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Bella Nonna »

Thank you both I do check a lot of websites & you're right most are out of State. I have found a lot that will ship but I am very Leary of that & not sure that is a good way to go. I will keep looking. Take your chows up to the mountains summer or winter my chows LOVED IT!!! I' m sure yours will too!
sue
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sue »

Have you tried the chow chow facebook page. There are alot on there wanting new homes http://www.facebook.com/#!/chowchow.org?fref=ts
Bella Nonna
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Bella Nonna »

No I didn't, I'll go check there. Thank You!
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

I would say to look at Rescues that are Chow specific. This is the facebook page for Chow Rescue Georgia. https://www.facebook.com/ChowRescueGeor ... ts&fref=ts I was contacted by them after we adopted Lilly & they said that transport would be no problem & we are up in Northwest Montana. Lilly was transported by a kind big-rig truck driver to our meeting place 200 miles away from us. Lilly's rescue was not Chow specific & she came with lots of baggage, behaviors that were not mentioned, which we are working thru. (I had only seen about four or five Chows up here in ten years & that was counting Tess.)

We lived in Southern California when Tess came to us. She was an indoor/outdoor Chow & she mostly stayed in the house on hot days (Mike & I worked different hours). When I got home I would hose her neck and head area down (which she loved) & her fur would dry quickly.

I am sending you good thoughts hoping that you do find your Chow Chow soon.
Bella Nonna
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Bella Nonna »

Thank You I will go check them out. I miss my little girl so much and I just ache for another Chow I love them so much.

And thank you for the good thoughts!
Grab
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Grab »

I am in Arizona and have two Chows. I went to Nevada for my two
Bella Nonna
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Bella Nonna »

They are beautiful, thank you for the information it does give me another place to look.
JasonandNat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JasonandNat »

Well I recommend the Chow Rescue in Georgia, they have done a lot for the breed and we up port them financially.

Even here in Ontario, it gets harder every year, last 2 were from Port Hope about 6 hours away (now closed due to aging owners) and our new girl is from Prada, Manitoba (now closed due allergies of owner developed during her second child) a full 20hrs away. We had talked to and have money reserved on a chow from Nova Scotia and had looked as far away as Florida and Indiana specifically to follow certain genetics.

We do have friends from Arizona with a chow, but thy recently moved to South Carolina. ;)
Caryl Myers
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Caryl Myers »

Go to AKC.org, they have a list of Breeders of Merit, and I am sure there are plenty of reputable breeders in Arizona.

Caryl Myers
www.cejamchows.com