Is my chows eating normal?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Ambivalent89
Rank 0
Rank 0

Is my chows eating normal?

Post by Ambivalent89 »

My Chow doesn't eat early, she usually eats at 3 pm and then either 2 or 3 times more, later, is it normal, that she won't eat early?
qbear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Is my chows eating normal?

Post by qbear »

I don't think normal has anything to do with it, it just depends on the schedule you are feeding her. You should feed her the same times every day, two or three times a day depending on how old she is. If you want her to eat early you cannot feed her late in the day. For example, we feed Hampton twice a day, once at 7am and then again at 4pm. Its important to keep a consistent schedule.
- Hampton's Mama + Papa

yatta5000
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by yatta5000 »

ambivalent I had this same question not too long ago. When my boy was younger he got fed 3 times a day, then twice and now that he is one year old he has started to eat when he wants. I provide food in the morning (7-8 am) before school and work and sometimes it is still there when I come home (5-6 pm). As people on this site as well as my breeder has told me chows tend to eat a little and then come back to it. but unless your chow is acting in a totally different manner i would say you have nothing to worry about.
qbear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by qbear »

I think that dogs that know they have access to food all day will eat less at a time. Hampton was like this just three weeks ago but we started picking his food up after half an hour and he learned he had to finish eating! This also helps us a lot with potty training :)
- Hampton's Mama + Papa

Ambivalent89
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Ambivalent89 »

Thank you all for the replies!! it is helpful! it is good to hear, that chows tend to eat less, and that dogs, usually eat less, when they have access to food all the time. since now I am scheduling her eating, because she is taking her medicine 2 times a day, 30 minutes before food. so now I feed her at 3 pm and again at 7 pm and then leave a little on her bowl at night. How much amount of food do you give your chows? My Bear is 7 years old and I usually give her cup or a little more per serving. P.S those pics of all your chows are soooo adorable!
Tamahomi
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Tamahomi »

I have the same problem with my Chow. But I'm kinda used to it. In a tropical country like Philippines, it's hard for them to eat especially in summer where it's just so hot everywhere. They tend to loose their appetite during this season. Sometimes he eats enough but most of the time he eats less than what he needed. But I guess that's what Chows are, they're very picky eaters. He's now 16-month old and weighs just around 20 kgs or approximately 44 lbs. Im not sure though whether that represents good weights for his age. But Hampton just so irresistibly squishy.