Bam Bam

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Chowmomma
Rank 1
Rank 1

Bam Bam

Post by Chowmomma »

So with alot of sadness and feeling totally defeated I have contacted a local chow rescue for help in finding Bam Bam a new home, I want what's best for him and my other chows and he deserves to be somewhere that he doesn't have to be gated away from other chows

I feel very defeated and terrified at same time

He came from same hell I fought to get out of and if he had been there before I left he would've went with me but he was purchased after I left

So I feel a connection to him and a duty to do what is right by him, it just terrifies me to place him!!! I promised this dog he'd never feel abuse again!!! I'm very sad over this decision but I need to know its the right one!

He's been through enough!

:sad:
giseleassink
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Bam Bam

Post by giseleassink »

Ohhhh that sucks… I feel bad for you is really hard to realize when you lose a battle.. But at least you are trying to find him a family not just dumping him in a shelter… good luck :)
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

So, I missed your previous posts about your issues but went back and read a little about what is going on. I have done a lot of fostering for chows. I have 2 Chows and a Pekingese currently. I have been bringing in one additional foster Chow until he gets adopted and then usually within a month or so taking in a new foster. Every time a new Chow comes, the dynamic is different. A lot depends on your current chows or dogs. Sometimes, it is just not going to work out. I have had those situations. I end up keeping the chow separated from mine like you have been doing. You can do this on a temporary basis but not forever. And separating them can cause jealousy. Some people don't think dogs can have human emotions but I can assure you Chows can get jealous. Some Chows have their own ideas of how things "should" be and they won't rest until things are the way they feel "they" should be. If you have 2 that feel this way (which it seems like you do) it can be very difficult to fix. I am not usually a proponent of rehoming (odd since I do that with fosters, I know) but it sounds to me that rehoming Bam Bam to a home well suited for him would be best. Believe it or not, a perfect home for him does exist out there. It will take patience though and you will have to commit to keeping them separated and working on the issues while you are waiting for it. Be sure you are honest with the new adopters about the issues he has had.

I had one completely crazy foster dog who I swore would never find a home. The head of the rescue who has tons of chow experience actually took him from me after a few months to foster and he was even more crazy with her. He had all his own ideas and would not rest unless he got his own way. He wanted to be with a human 24 hours a day and when left alone or with my other Chows he would go crazy. My Chows and Pekingese would try to get him to be part of the group and he would flip out. He destroyed doors, ripped siding off my house, chewed up my recliner and a cabinet, actually chewed and bent the bars on crates meant for dogs much larger than him, destroyed several doors in the second foster home, and actually stepped on the window button of the rescue ladies vehicle and jumped out of the window while she was driving and was almost killed. He not only found a home but a perfect one for him. The people love to cater to his crazy demands and his new mom even bakes for him. He lets her know when he wants her to by going into the kitchen and barking. The point of my long winded story is that Bam Bam's perfect home is out there. As much as you love him and want things to work he may end up much happier somewhere else. And you did save him by taking care of him until that new home can be found and it is out there somewhere.
onthemove
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by onthemove »

I just had to comment to Boogie and Linda, that I found her post to be so helpful, thoughtful and kind.