FozzMonster

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Fozzbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

FozzMonster

Post by Fozzbear »

My girl Fozzchops seems to have undergone some sort of personality change since being spayed! I thought that it was meant to calm a dog down but she seems to be having a second puppyhood. She was always so placid and quiet but now she is SUPER lively. It is nice to see really - she throws toys around and wrestles Humphrey and digs holes and generally causes mayhem. I have had to increase her time at Canine Club as she has a lot more energy to burn off.
Her fur hasn't grown back properly yet and she looks like a total scruff-ball - always covered in something.
My only issue is that she has become a bit more of a madam than she was when we go for walks. She is more inclined to race up to other dogs and try to play with them (not all are amused as you can imagine and I worry about her running up to an aggressive dog with me lagging behind her). She is also more inclined to suddenly speed off to look for cats or whatever she can find. I'm being a lot more careful where I take her but I do worry. I think I'm going to have to take her for more lead walks, which is a bit of a pain as Humphrey cant walk for the length of time she would need.
She has been running circles around my dog walker too (it takes a small team to keep my dogs amused :) ). She learned how to slip her harness last week.
Last night she managed to pull a hole in the fence between me and next door. I was in the bath and she was gone by the time I got down. I was frantic but luckily it was all quiet and no traffic. I went out the front and called her and - for the first time in her life- came running back straight away (I think she was worried that she was lost too).
Fence now fixed.
Has anybody elses female chow gone super-energetic after spaying before?
anthonyfearn
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: FozzMonster

Post by anthonyfearn »

hi fozz , i have a female chow and was going to get her spayed but was a little worried about it , can you let me know where your fozzchops went as i also live in cheshire thanks
Fozzbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Fozzbear »

Woodcrofts - they are by far the best practice around me. Google them to see if they are in your area as they have several sites.
I swapped to them after a disaster at another practice getting my boy neutered. They like chows and understand them well; they are good with fussy chow parents too.
They are giving Humphrey some free hydrotherpy too. Recommended.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

That is an untalked about side effect for some females. It's not talked about much, but you will notice on here that most of the HRH females have all been spayed. They stop producing estrogen when they are spayed, but they still have a normal level of the other hormones and those take over. Spaying can cause just this kind of hyper behavior it also makes their coats grow very long. Spaying and neutering is a good thing, but it is not a natural thing and whenever you mess with nature there are consequences. Spaying can even make a female dog dominant and aggressive especially when done too young. Males generally lose the need to be dominant or to wander, but it doesn't really, "calm" them down.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
twistedcaduceus
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by twistedcaduceus »

I myself are on the fence about spaying my Shadow. My vet suggested to spay her around 6 months of age. I was a little bit hesitant about this since she will still have at least a year to grow and hormones play a lot of roles in becoming an adult. Imagine taking out a girls ovaries even before she go through puberty?! That's what I felt I will be doing if I proceed this early. Also from where I am originally from, we don't usually neuter animals. Yes there's a lot of strays and it sucks but it's part of the community. People feed each other's dogs. Not that I want my Shadow to get knocked up by some random dog, plus she's an indoor dog so there's very minimal chance she's gonna be pregnant anytime soon.

Anyways going back to not neutering, Victory is spot on. IT is not natural and I am really on the fence on this one. There are compelling pros and cons on leaving a dog intact or neutered. All I'm saying is at 6 months of age, I don't think I'll be spaying my dog. Maybe later on when she's a little bit older but for now, I am going against my vet's advice.

Anyway, just my two cents. I hope Fozzchops gets to be manageable.