A misunderstood chow.

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

A misunderstood chow.

Post by Cam Atis »

I walked in the only vet clinic (2 hours drive from my place) today to ask for something and I remember to check out if there happen to be a Chow - a male one that is - who walked in for check up or something... As you know I am already looking for a chow male. The answer came back positive. Yes there's a male chow now. And in fact he is in the care of the lady vet who owns the clinic. So I asked, how old is he? Can I see him? And the answers were: No, he is vicious. He's aggressive and nobody can touch him except for his handler. Further questions revealed that the lady vet is only a custodian as the former owner of the chow abandoned him after selling the hotel. Sort of he was given away. And so the handler goes away too coz no one's gonna pay for his services anymore. The poor chow is now there in the vet's care - rather the vet's people. They said he is in an enclosed area where he stays all day.

Now I was like: Oh no, you dont understand, he is only like that because he can't adapt immediately. He might be depressed. Maybe he is looking for the handler. I did my best to explain. BUT I was met with two cold pairs of eyes, as if to say: "no you dont understand, he is vicious, like we told you"

I went home feeling sorry for that chow. And I wish if only someone would be patient and understanding of him - he'll come around.
Fozzbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: A misunderstood chow.

Post by Fozzbear »

Write to the head vet!
chow4life
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chow4life »

Why won't they let you see him? What's it to them if he's supposedly vicious. You would know that going into it. You are a chow owner with experience and one who would definitely understand how to handle and approach him. What are they going to do with him? I don't understand why he's not up for adoption if he was abandoned. I'd definately persue this if this is what you want. It sounds like they're not going to treat him very good. Sounds like they've already made up there mind about him. I wouldn't let a pair of cold eyes stop me. As the poster above me stated go to the highest level necessary. You potentially could be saving his life.
giseleassink
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by giseleassink »

This just not makes any sense… if he is that bad why she wants to keep him??? Maybe you can try again and explain her that you know what you are doing?? Mybe you can find out her email, and we all can bug her :)

Wish you luck!!!
Last edited by giseleassink on Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chowmomma
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Chowmomma »

Cam where are you located?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

The secretary refused to give me the cell number of the lady vet. She gave me her number instead. The lady vet knew me but she's been scarce lately and we havent seen each other for years. With me very far away.
I know that chow is being treated like other dogs and that contributes to his angst. I dont even know if the lady vet would give him to me for rehab. That is if i get lucky to see her. I dont know how you'd take this one but here in my country, putting up a dog for adoption is never an option - almost always. And euthanasia (thank goodness!) is never administered to a truly vicious dog.
Dont worry guys I'll be back to the vet clinic to insist to let me have a look at him. He seemed to be located in a different place. Not in the clinic. I didnt had time as it was already late in the afternoon and i have to drive back to my home. I looked like an idiot smiling talking about positive things abot a chow and there they are looking at me as if I dont know what I was talking about.
What i can do is to educate the handlers on chow behavior. At least.
sue
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sue »

Ring the vets & book an appointment with this vet say you have a dog with a bad leg & that you will keep it in the car till its time to bring it in.Insist that she is the only vet you want to see.When they call your name go in & speak to her about the chow they will probably charge you the price of the a consultation but that will give you time to talk to the vet directly.Its a bit of a sneeky but if your paying for it she will have to talk to you
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Oh dear! This sort of thing makes me mad! :-x
My initial unspoken thoughts are, "Go in and smack 'em one!" :evil:
Obviously, I know this does not work but anyway, good luck.
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
JammyJoy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JammyJoy »

That's what happens when a person don't know the dog well, they often misunderstood the dog. You should go back there and persuade that vet.
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Pinoy51 »

Hi Cam,
as you know I'm in Manila too.
If you need support let me know.
Best regards
Pinoy51
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

This kind of situation calls for a lot of experience of rehabilitating a dog that has been treated this way. Lots of positive reinforcement and not trying to show who is boss. I hope you have an expert dog trainer in positive reinforcement who can offer you some help if you do manage to persuade them. The chow mayb e vicious for all you know. I have a friend who is a dog trainer and she is at present working with a GSD who was on death row for vicious behaviour which was made much worse by a follower of Caeser Millan who tried to force him into accepting leadership. This will not work as the chow wont understand and will react against it.

Please understand I am not saying you dont have the skills or knowledge to carry this through just putting down some thoughts and cautions. I really hope that you manage to get to this chow and see who he really is. He desperately needs your help. The very best of luck....keep us posted.
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

@pinoy I am in Palawan. So no luck there. Us being in 7,100 islands. Hahaha.
@sirchow: thank you, I know what you mean. What i want is to see him and then gave the handlers advice regarding basic chow behaviors that is almost cat like to help them understand him. I do have two dogs and three girls that could be at risk. I think he is most suited to an individual who can 100% take care of him. That's why I am aiming to educate the handlers.
I'll keep you posted. :-)
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

I want to report that I went to the city again and called up the vet secretary in advance while driving to ask if we can arrange to see the male chow that they keep. Since the communication is choppy, I sent a text message instead. The reply came back after half hour. And that I cannot see him today because the condition is not good.
I can only imagine...
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Pinoy51 »

Sorry for the late reply.
As much as I love our Islands, sometimes they get in the way :(
Hope you can help the guy. please keep me updated, even if I can't go there easily. I still might be able to help in one way or another.
Best regards
Pinoy51
chow4life
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chow4life »

I guess i just don't understand. Why is this so difficult for you to get to see this dog? The condition is not good....what does that mean?
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

@pinoy. Salamat ng marami ha. I hope we can have communication via phone. Nag padala ako ng PM if we could connect via FB along with a few of the members here at cc.org na nasa Philippines. :-)
@chow4life: i also didnt know what she meant by that. And we cannot just demand them to let me have a look.

Now updates: the vet secretary sent me a message today saying a male chow have been brought to them for vaccination and she gave me the phone number of the owner. I asked about the male chow that they have if what she meant is if he has some skin conditions, infestations or disease or if he is being bathed? She said the coat is not in good condition and she said that he is not recommended by the lady vet to be introduced to another dog, she already relayed to Doc Patty my interests and she said NO and I respect her judgment.
Now I did talked to the owner of the new male Chow. His name is Badj (owner) and his chow 5yrs old but he doesnt have PCCI registration. His chow is gentle and usually the one being bullied by the female dalmatian of their neighbor. So apparently, this one is well socialized. Badj however, mentioned the existence of the male chow who is the subject of this post. That he was owned by Winston, previous owner of Asturias Hotel and he was handled by the handler all the time. Badj said that chow is "sobrang matapang" (very vicious) and he confirmed what they said that he can't be touched by anyone. So maybe that's the reason the people at the vet's office doesnt allow anyone to come see him. That's the end of the line for me I guess. I just hope he gets around to his new handlers or else he will be relegated to a life in cage, isolated and not allowed to go out. :-(
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

That is so sad! They should at least put the dog to sleep if they are not going to take any steps to make his life better. To live all alone in a cage day in day out - no wonder he is going mad!
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Hi Sarah!
Yes you are correct, I also think the reason why he is like what he is now is because of endless time he spent in a cage as his previous owner is rich. The kind of rich people who just buys a pet to look at. I really am so sad for that ill-fated male chow. I am only guessing the lady vet was doing what she can to that chow. And we all know especially you all who owned chows way ahead of me, how a neglected chow behaved to become the worst grumpy dog of all time.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Updates: I stayed in the city for four days and one of my agenda is to try see the male chow. so I was able to finally see him on my last day!!! Like trying to launch a one last push after daily requests to the secretary to see him. what's more I was able to get the lady vet's number since she was there in her home. a very important info for myself in cases of doggy emergencies. I came to her house after getting a little lost once, and well she was there with her dogs coz it was 8:11 AM.
The male chow he is in a gated area. A decent area where he can run around. A female chow kept him company. They apparently get along well. His coat however, is not in good condition. Over all verdict, he is fine there where he can talk to all those loose pet dogs inside the property. Dobes, rott, shih tzus, black lab,a mutt. He is better there where he is taken care of. Basic needs shelter, food and attention. Not the pampered life of our chows but it's better. He is not in a cage. Thank goodness.
chow4life
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chow4life »

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear he is not living life with no socialization, or in a cage. Wish he could still be adopted.