troubled chow

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

nujent
Rank 0
Rank 0

troubled chow

Post by nujent »

hello everyone we have a chow that is a one family dog. no one but the family can get near him. he is a 2.5 year old white male. we need to give him away because of a new baby in the family and he isn't taking to her! he won't let anyone near him but us. my wife wants to put him down but i would rather adopt him out. HELP!!!!!! can anyone out there help? putting him down would be wrong!
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: troubled chow

Post by Boogie and Linda »

Where are you located? You don't mention what kind of training and socialization you have done with your chow. If you haven't done any, it is not too late to start. I agree 100% that putting your chow down would be wrong. Your chow is a part of your family and deserves to be helped to get through this issue. What exact issues is the chow having with the baby? My family and chows had to adjust to an unexpected new baby (my granddaughter) moving in 6 months ago. I was finding that the chows were curious most of the time but as my stress level escalated because the baby was whining or crying, the chows felt they needed to do something to protect me from the stress (the new baby). They are used to policing each other when one is acting up and they were looking at the baby as one of them. The bottom line is their reaction has more to do with my own than whether or not they like the baby. New babies sleep a lot and are not yet mobile so you do have a little time to work on this. My granddaughter is now almost 8 months old and becoming mobile on the floor so we are keeping her seperated from them except during direct interactions that we initiate. But it is also important that the chows don't feel punished so they don't get jealous.

Should you decide to rehome your chow or not, you still owe it to your chow and others around your chow to work on socialization. Hopefully you have some extended family or friends that can help you with this. It is important that the people you are trying to socialize your chow with are not fearful. Some chows (I myself have one) will try to scare new people. If the chow gets a reaction, then they will escalate his or her behavior. If the person ignores it, the chow may become curious and change his or her approach to the new person. I would try maybe taking your chow to the park on a leash and sitting on a bench with the person you are trying to socialize your chow with. Without the other person forcing themselves to meet the chow just sit there and chat. The chow will eventually become curious and interact. Also, the new person should use a soft high pitched excited tone while speaking. Chows are a sucker for that. I have picked up terrified chows from shelters and this works every time.
nujent
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by nujent »

i'm in southern md. nothing has been done with this poor animal. he was left to me by my step-daughter. she is now back with the little one. my wife is determined to get rid of tyson. don't know anything about socializing training and not sure if anyone but myself is interested. i do know that no matter what one day i'll come home and find tyson gone. don't think i have time to do any thing with him but addopt him out. i do know not just anyone will take him because of his antisocial behavior. that's why i'm trying to find someone experienced with this kind of temperment that would be willing to take him and work with him.
JammyJoy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JammyJoy »

Chow Chows are very independent and aloof, and they need an owner who appreciates those traits but won't let the dog take over..
WeLoveLeRoy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by WeLoveLeRoy »

JammyJoy wrote:Chow Chows are very independent and aloof, and they need an owner who appreciates those traits but won't let the dog take over..
So absolutely true indeed. It takes that right level of respect for your chow and his/her understanding that you are THE BOSS. I wish people had to get a chow chow license.
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

There are several Chow Rescue groups in New York, perhaps you can contact them. It isn't the Chow's fault, that it is not social it (is) was the owners. Please don't let this Chow down. We recently adopted a little Chow girl who wasn't socialized either. We were Chow knowledgeable, and are willing to slowly work with Lilly. She has come a long way from just three months ago. There is someone out there who is willing to take on the task and love this Chow boy. Euthanasia is not the answer. This is one site - there are others. You can also look up "Chow Rescues." http://www.adoptapet.com/adoption_rescue/79718.html
nujent
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by nujent »

i have tried to contact the maryland chow rescue but have had no reply. i have other e-mails out and waiting for a reply. this dog is my friend. he is beautiful!!!!! he obeys me. we seem to have an understanding. he knows who the boss is. i have no problem with him but like i said i'm going to come home and find him gone. i am going to continue to contact chow rescue groups. i'll take him where ever i have to to save his life!! i was raised in the country and have had animals all my life but never a dog that is so beautiful. i will do every thing i can for him. i owe him that much just for his friendship alone. please contact whoever you can and let them know of tysons predicament.
Leeds01
Rank 0
Rank 0

troubled chow

Post by Leeds01 »

nujent wrote:. i have no problem with him but like i said i'm going to come home and find him gone.
Why don't you just explain to your wife that she should give the dog some time to change his way. As if you would just let your wife walk all over you and kill your dog.
nujent
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by nujent »

i didn't come to this forum to be insulted! my wife does not walk all over me and i don't need to explain myself to you or anyone. this is about tyson. so if you can't help keep your coments to yourself!!!
wokman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by wokman »

I wish you and Tyson all the best. Hopefully you will find someone to take him for a companion animal. The Rescues receive inquiries like yours every week; they would make your dog a low priority rescue since it is not currently in a physically life threatening situation even though you may think he is. The rescues mostly take dogs that have no owner to care for them, or who's owner is unable to physically continue caring for it.
Try: http://www.RescueMe.org/
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

If I am near you, I'd gladly take Tyson.
For a chow, anti-social is not the word to describe their innate character of being reserve FOR ME. They are soo social animals. But choosy at first. but not all the time choosy. Socialization does not need to be done in a certain way. I can't say about Tyson's behavior but how did he behaved towards the baby or all is just a "would be" scenario?
Maybe you could spend and make Tyson a dog house and let him be there until all dusts settle so to speak. He could warm up to the little one.
Sorry that you have to do this kind of decision to your beloved dog.
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

Please contact MacWag Rescue. I wish I could help, but being my male is a shy type to begin with, I can't bring another dog of that kind of nature into the household because it wouldn't be good for either of them. Also, contact Cindy Stone of Chow chow rescue of NY. She may be able to find a temp foster down here or arrange a transport if you must give him away. There's also a GREAT dog trainer/behaviorist in our area who has an adopted chow and knows all about them. The business is called Special Paws. Please, give her a call to see if it's something you can fix before you give your dog away.
nujent
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by nujent »

hello cam atis. i am in southern maryland. i want to fence in the front yard ( about a 1/4 acre) with big dog house and the family is sure he wouldn't tolerate it. i've never known a dog that didn't take to outside with a dog house. you seem to have knowledge about this breed. i will do almmost anything to keep him!!!! where are you? can we talk on phone??
nujent
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by nujent »

tychowgirl where are you located?
nujent
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by nujent »

are you in maryland?
nujent
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by nujent »

by the way. thank you everyone so much for the input!!
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

I can feel that you have a special bond with Tyson. I am hoping that you can make this work. Hopefully your wife will come around in time. Perhaps she is a bit afraid of him, Chows read human feelings more than dogs. We are kind folks - I see there has been some good advise given to you. Take care.
nujent
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by nujent »

special bond is right!! he is the coolist dog iv'e ever had!! and that's alot in my 60 yrs. had every thing from mutts to great danes. none have shown the distinct personality and intellengance that tyson has. i also have never come across a dog that is so regimented. i didn't have this dog as a puppy so i can't say what was done with him but i can assure you all that after being on this forum i will not let any harm come to him!!!!!!!!! like i told the wife, " over my dead body" lol. think i'm gonna fence in the yard and build a dog castle. i really want to keep him!! please keep up the input.......nujent.
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

Yes, I am in Frederick
Leeds01
Rank 0
Rank 0

troubled chow

Post by Leeds01 »

nujent wrote:special bond is right!! he is the coolist dog iv'e ever had!! and that's alot in my 60 yrs. had every thing from mutts to great danes. none have shown the distinct personality and intellengance that tyson has. i also have never come across a dog that is so regimented. i didn't have this dog as a puppy so i can't say what was done with him but i can assure you all that after being on this forum i will not let any harm come to him!!!!!!!!! like i told the wife, " over my dead body" lol. think i'm gonna fence in the yard and build a dog castle. i really want to keep him!! please keep up the input.......nujent.
Glad you've finally grown a back bone.
giseleassink
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by giseleassink »

I hope you can work things out and keep your friend... Also I know new babies in the house can be hard ..tiger mommas :) - Do everything you can, and if does not work please do not put him down.. If you can’t find a rescue try put a few adds around you neighborhood.. that is lots of good souls out there :)
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

I responded to your other post before running across this one...

Give some thought to he fencing and castle idea prior to investing in it. You may find that a Chow relegated to being outdoors becomes something other than you have now. As aloof as he may seem, he wants close companionship. Without any background on his early days, it may be similar and trigger a negative response. It seems that you have become his trusted friend and safety net. I wouldnt risk that trust.

Chows are not quick to adapt to changes in family structure. Step back and take a look at how things might be different for him. Are your attentions more toward the new child? Not that that would be wrong or misguided, but your Chow may be feeling abandoned a bit. He will direct that change in his place in the home toward the new member.

There may also be an issue with his prior owner. You mentioned that he used to belong to your step-daughter, who is now back and with a child. Chows have long memories. He may be having issues with her presence.

Time may be an issue, but i would strongly stress what others have said...get this dog socialized. Take him for car rides and let him meet other people and dogs. Get him used to acceptable behavior around everyone you meet along the way.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Hello Nujent. I am in the Philippines. I just happen to know dogs. And the chow is not much different from other breed and can be made to live in a dog house. Enclosure. not tied on a stake beside a doghouse. dog castle is more like it. yes.
As long as you don't cage him 24 hours a day. And you keep to the sched like spending time with him outside instead of inside. That should be done in stages since obviously Tyson is an indoor dog all through out until maybe a few weeks from now. The enclosure only serves a safety area for him or rather to give your wife some sort of "safety" from Tyson while you are away. Should be large enough for you and tyson to fit inside with room to move around like grooming. I do that to prevent younger Cassie from going somewhere when brushing.
And you are right! Dogs loved to be outside of the house MOST of the time so I dont think it would present a problem to Tyson. And besides, that kind of arrangement is only temporary and not forever until the tot grows up a little bit. it also is an excellent observatory for Tyson so he can see the baby and get used to the baby without doing "harm" as your wife feared. I hope she sees through Tyson :D

Cassie prefers to stay outside of our house MOST of the time though she started as an indoor puppy. They all do.
If you have winter and summer, you must design the dog house to be adaptable for the weather patterns in your place. Like a flip open sides. Though I can't speak for winter as I dont know what I am talking about if that's the weather - what types of insulation to use or if you need to do a double wall...
Clayton01
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Clayton01 »

First of all I must appreciate you all here for participating in this such technical discussion. I am here because I need some suggestion of experienced person because I want to buy a dog for the home security, so please suggest me which type of the dog is best for this purpose.

Quality, Innovation and Customer Service
Last edited by Clayton01 on Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jdcell100
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Jdcell100 »

Please don't go the dog house route. Try to find a home for him chows are house dogs