General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Andria
Rank 0
Rank 0

Help...water in ear

Post by Andria »

Hi all-
Got Eddie back from groomer yesterday and he has been tilting and shaking his head since last night. I feel so sorry for him because he seems severely agitated and uncomfortable. I called the groomer and was advised to gently put a cotton ball in his ear to absorb any water-then follow up with a couple of drops of alcohol. I did this and still no change or relief. I called the vet and the soonest they can get him in is Monday. By that time, they'll probably be treating him for an ear infection...I just can't bear to see him this irritated all weekend and the vet would not recommend anything over the counter I can use in the meantime. Does anyone have a recommendation?
wokman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Help...water in ear

Post by wokman »

I would not put any more liquid in his ear, even though alcohol should have a drying effect. Have you always had him groomed (bathed and brushed) by a Professional Groomer? I bath mine myself to eliminate the extra stress of being around other dogs and all the commotion of a busy grooming shop. Does his ear flap feel swollen; if so it could be a blood blister from having his fur pulled while being brushed. I would go to an Animal E.R., if it is really bothering him to make sure he has no inner ear damage. If he starts to scratch his ear get an Elizabethan Collar to prevent skin damage.
Andria
Rank 0
Rank 0

Help...water in ear

Post by Andria »

He's always gone to be groomed and had never had a bad experience..in fact he prances around there happily because of all the love and positive attention he receives. His ears stand up which is why I'm thinking the water may have gone in there-it's pretty much a straight shot to the ear canal from what I can tell by looking. I think I will just take him to the after hours care because he definitely can't go like this for 3 days. :'(
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Help...water in ear

Post by Rory's Dad »

Help give him a bit of relief by rubbing the base of his ear.

Sometimes the shaking and head drop to one side become a bit of a habit if they have water for more than a day or so. One of my previous boys did this, and was pretty good at stopping when told.