I'm so glad i didnt give him away

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

sashasayys
Rank 0
Rank 0

I'm so glad i didnt give him away

Post by sashasayys »

This guy is about six months now. He is my first dog, and i am crazy in love. His name is Thor. He is a half chow, half retriever. I got him from a family when he was only 4 weeks old, and they were giving all the puppies away because they could not support them (when i went to pick him up, they were all in the basement and i did not see any food or water around (he was crazy thirsty/hungry when i brought him home, and after i gave him a bath, the water was black from all the dirt). I randomly brought him to my house and of course my family fell in love with his looks right away. Once they got to know him though, they started hating him. He was the most aggressive little puppy in the world (and crazy strong!). For months they were trying to get me to give him away. They said there is no way i am capable of living with an aggressive dog for 15 years, especially if I am planning on having children. To add to that I also have two cats, two lizards, four parrots, and a snake. I went through so many tears. I just couldn't give him up. After all, i'm the one that adopts and rescues pets, i couldn't just put him back up for adoption!
I made sure he socialized with a lot of people. I took him to everyone's houses, made sure he played with children and other dogs. He slowly but surely started becoming more respectful towards people. The only person he really bites anymore is me, and that is only when we play rough :)
I have now noticed that he is really good at picking up people's attitudes and emotions. When we walk down the street, he's always really good, but when he senses danger, he sits down on my feet and growls a little bit or barks (usually when people walk by us at night). He's so protective, i cannot get enough of it. Even when he decides to sleep during the day, he sleeps by the front door to make sure no one walks in :)
I think the other day was the first time he has ever seen me cry. He came up to me and started whining and licking my hand. He then fell asleep on my lap for two hours (he has NEVER done that before). He refused to leave my side for the rest of the night. He didn't even resist his bath time! He always seems so distant, never wants to cuddle or give any affection. He just likes to play. So seeing that made me realize that he actually does love me. I was overjoyed.
He has been bringing me so much laughter. Every time he trips, slips, snores, makes his cute little noises. Thor always tries to sneak things away from me; he army crawls to my clean laundry while I'm watching TV, takes out my socks, and army crawls away with them. I love watching him jump over tennis nets while he's chasing after the ball, and i love watching him run through the snow. The best part though is when he thinks he's human. He tries to sleep on pillows, and walk around the house on his back legs. He even uses his paws to pick everything up. It's ridiculous.
Honestly, i have never liked dogs before. The only reason i picked him up was to help him out, and give him a life with plenty of food and water. Well, he actually filled a very big void in my heart that i never knew i even had. I never knew I could fall in love with a DOG! He is now a very big part of the family. My fiance and I absolutely adore him, and would never give him up. I'm glad that this crazy chow was my first puppy.
Sorry it's so long, i just wanted to share my love :3
Attachments
IMG_9409 (2) - Copy.jpg
IMG_9409 (2) - Copy.jpg (35.87 KiB) Viewed 3890 times
_MG_9437 (2) - Copy.jpg
_MG_9437 (2) - Copy.jpg (42.04 KiB) Viewed 3890 times
_MG_9435 (2) - Copy.jpg
_MG_9435 (2) - Copy.jpg (44.66 KiB) Viewed 3890 times
giseleassink
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: I'm so glad i didnt give him away

Post by giseleassink »

I’m soooo happy that you adopt him and did not give him away and did not listen to your family on this!! There is noooo such thing as a bad dog!!! There is dogs that needs to be more trained than others and that is all…
He is gorgeous!! Keep doing what you are doing, he is still a puppy and he will learn a lot!
chowchowdaddy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chowchowdaddy »

As time goes by, you'll be happier and happier that you didn't give up on Thor. I remember when Emperor Ming was a puppy (our first chow, Chia, we got when she was 1 year old and she was perfect) and he was, I guess, a typical puppy. I remember being on my hands and knees with a wet, soapy rag in one hand and a glass of wine in the other, and I was crying and just scrubbing our white carpet and telling him how much I hated him, that our house used to be so clean. Then, I don't remember what it was, but something triggered us almost returning him and I said, "I'd like to give him one more try. I REFUSE to be outsmarted by a 14 pound version of Chewbacca..." Well, it's now 10+ years later and I would kill for him. He's the dearest boy ever born, and I thank God every day for him...
lilyandlola
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by lilyandlola »

He looks very sweet. I'm very happy for you both!
Fozzbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Fozzbear »

He is gorgeous - I am so glad you persevered with him. His problems were probably due to leaving his Mum so early and deprivation as his first life experience. So thank God ypu have him and he has you!
wokman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by wokman »

You have me all teared up. :_| You are a rare breed and so is your fur friend. =D=
Kimbe
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Kimbe »

This is an amazing story ... and one that I could relate to with my 4.5 month old cutie. Thanks for sharing :)