Health Care Bill and Pet Care cost

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

wokman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Health Care Bill and Pet Care cost

Post by wokman »

=; **== For those in the U.S., as reported on Fox News, Greta Van Susteren show, expect the cost of Veterinarian care to increase and care services to decrease due to the higher cost of medical devices for not only Humans but for Pets.
The higher cost of medical devices as said by Veterinarians, will be passed on to Pet owners.
Higher device cost will deter the purchase of life saving equipment for Pet Care Providers.
:|
ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Health Care Bill and Pet Care cost

Post by ski »

Absolutely true!! The same tax will be imposed on medical devices for pets as well as humans. That cost will have to be passed on to the consumer. We need to keep ourselves AND our pets healthy!
veronicaL
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by veronicaL »

Taking care of a pet is more than just a ton of work; it can cost you a ton of cash. This is specifically true if you get the pet at a young age. You might need a ton of money cover crisis vet visits when your pet gets hurt or sick. It may cost a lot of cash, but owning a pet that loves you is always worth it. Learn more at: Pet Care
ChowServant
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ChowServant »

My poor guy BooBoo has been having a series of medical problems lately and our vet referred him to the NC State University Vet Med School clinic. He's had 5 visits there so far in the last month with another one scheduled in a few days. I now have a decal for the rear window of my car that says "My dog goes to NCSU" with the vet med school url in small print below it. The bill is becoming somewhat reminiscent of when my oldest son was a student at NCSU.
Juniper
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Juniper »

Hope Boo Boo comes thru OK with his latest medical issue.

Yes, it is very costly having a chow or any pet for that matter. A lot of people don’t take into account the cost of good preventative care and quality food for their chows or any dog. When I tell people that my chow costs on the average of her lifetime $5000/year to keep her healthy they think I’m crazy. Sheena has not even had any major medical issues until now at 12.5 years young. My Troy had cost me $10,000/year in 4 years and that was with some major medical issues and then the vet told me he needed to be euthanized and he was only 4.5 years old.

Costs will always rise as we and our pets get older. All I can say is to be prepared in advance and it’s important to think about your finances before you get a pet, whether it is a chow or not. In the future, maybe only the wealthy or those willing to be in debt will be able to afford going to major cities that may have the medical equipment to diagnose/assist in a chow's health that falters. Unfortunately, euthanasia is the decision that most make when faced with exorbitant medical bills.

On another point, I find it interesting that many articles I read on pet care don’t ever stress dental care and pet teeth cleaning which is one of the most important to maintain the health of both pets and people. They probably don’t want to scare away people since it costs anywhere from $350 to $500 for a chow’s teeth cleaning and possibly more if extractions are needed.

All I can say is be financially prepared and if you can’t afford to properly take care of a chow please don’t adopt one.

Much health to you and all your fur family
Jennifer & Sheena