Please don't ask what type of dog he is...

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

qbear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Please don't ask what type of dog he is...

Post by qbear »

Whenever someone squeals and asks what type of dog Hampton is, I cringe. It really worries me to think that all these people see is a cute and cuddly face. Friends and friends of friends all say things like "I WANT ONE, WHERE CAN I BUY ONEEE?!" Granted, I myself learned about chows after seeing one being walked downtown, but I'm worried all this hype about them will lead to further breeding abuse, lack of socialization, and etc. Am I the only one who feels this way? How about we come up with a made up breed name to tell people who ask what type of dog we have? :D :D
- Hampton's Mama + Papa

kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Please don't ask what type of dog he is...

Post by kitten1426 »

Not around here..they all know what our chows are and MOST wont come near them..Our female is like the walmart greeter..But Kodi he is good but i make sure i have a close eye on him when people approach..walking him last week in the park a young boy tried running up to him and pet him i got right in front of Kodi and blocked the kid...I then said to the kids parents DONT you ever let your child run up to a dog like that...Kodi can be a little nasty when people do that to him...And to be honest this might sound bad but i want him to be on guard like that...i just dont want every tom dick and harry coming up to our dogs and petting them...They know its ok when we say its ok...Some people...lol
Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

I don't do that. I say with pride, "they are chows" When they say where can I get one, I ask, "How much experience do you have with dogs AND cats? Do you know anything at all about the training of independent breeds? Have you ever trained a dog of any kind, how about cats? I sometimes will demonstrate by waiting until I know my two are ignoring me and giving them a command, or even just calling their names., Then I explain the chow attitude and how I knew that they would ignore me right then and why they do it, and how when one has a chow you learn to deal with that, and how to work with it.

I tell them flat out, "if you want a dog to play fetch with, and who is going to hang on to your every word and command like you are a deity, go get a golden retriever or a border collie. If you don't mind a dog who is going to give you a look that says very clearly, "yeah, I know you want something, but I'm kind of busy doing my own thing right now, I'll get to you in a moment or five." then you might be a good candidate for having a chow. The other thing I ask is are you going to make a life long commitment? Chows are extremely loyal once they bond, (even if they forget what the word sit means half the time), once they accept you as their person, they committ for life, can you be just as loyal? You can, then good, now I have one more question for you; will you be there at the end of their life? Will you sit beside them and stroke their heads and tell them to go into the light and that you'll see them at the bridge when it is your time, while they take their last breath, either naturally or with a vet's help? Or are you going to dump them at a shelter, or on a farm or some place to die alone and scared? If it's the latter, you aren't ready for any pet, and especially not a chow or other loyal breed of any animal. But if it's the former, it you'll be there at the end, giving them a peaceful loving exit. Then yeah, you're ready to be owned by a chow.

I let them know that chows are special, and only special mature people should have one. a lot of people were attracted to them in the first place by celebrities owning them back in the 1950s, now Martha Stewart owns them, but she's never been shy about sletting folks know how independent they can be. So I don't tell stories either or deny what they are, but I am VERY upfront about what they are like.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

Well said Victory
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

I tell them flat out, "if you want a dog to play fetch with, and who is going to hang on to your every word and command like you are a deity, go get a golden retriever or a border collie. If you don't mind a dog who is going to give you a look that says very clearly, "yeah, I know you want something, but I'm kind of busy doing my own thing right now, I'll get to you in a moment or five." then you might be a good candidate for having a chow. The other thing I ask is are you going to make a life long commitment? Chows are extremely loyal once they bond, (even if they forget what the word sit means half the time), once they accept you as their person, they committ for life, can you be just as loyal? You can, then good, now I have one more question for you; will you be there at the end of their life? Will you sit beside them and stroke their heads and tell them to go into the light and that you'll see them at the bridge when it is your time, while they take their last breath, either naturally or with a vet's help? Or are you going to dump them at a shelter, or on a farm or some place to die alone and scared? If it's the latter, you aren't ready for any pet, and especially not a chow or other loyal breed of any animal. But if it's the former, it you'll be there at the end, giving them a peaceful loving exit. Then yeah, you're ready to be owned by a chow.
Victory, you are so wise. I second what you said, it is so true. Made me tear up.
giseleassink
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by giseleassink »

The Breeder abuse is already happening not just with chows but with all kind of dogs…

I suggest you to answer it is a Chow Chow and I’m sure you can find one in one of the shelters … And maybe you will get someone to visit a shelter and maybe they will not find a chow there but some other dog and they will fall in love with it and give it a good forever home…
I found my chow in a shelter, she was a year old and she was not in my plans as I has just adopted a 10 week old chow/Aussi mix.. My chow has some mild food aggression and leash aggression.. Probably because the first owner wanted a cute puppy and did not make his homework on this kind of dog…

Sharing the pic of my two babies!! :)
Attachments
mika and mia.jpg
mika and mia.jpg (60.33 KiB) Viewed 7063 times
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

The comments I get are "oh how pretty but do you have to brush them for hours every day?", or "oh that's a chow and me, my cousin, my uncle, my somebody got bit by one of those during childhood!" I hear the same things over and over. I think I might own the only chows in this state and that's fine with me but my two could be owned by anyone who loved dogs. I did no special training (puppy class is all) and make no special allowances for them and they are perfectly well behaved and not mean. They go to the vets and the groomers with no issue, enjoy house guests, and as I am not one who needs them to know 50 commands and march like little soldiers we're all good. I have had issues in the past with other chows who had stranger aggression and two males that fought but these two are easy breezy. Every chow is different and I often think we as owners stereotype them as much or more than the general public does. I have been guilty of it no doubt.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Some great responses to the original post. My experience has been that most people (adults) in my are know exactly what they are. Odd since we are the only registered owners of Chows in all 5 surrounding towns...

That being said, we hear the comments parents make to their kids...'look they have black tongues'. And that is the entire extent of their knowledge. Rory is way friendly, probably not so typical, and Amber is well on her way. We use it as a teaching opportunity when we have them out. Most are polite and ask before touching. We make sure to tell them to approach from the front, not the side or rear, and explain why. We make sure they are below head level and have eye contact before reaching for Rory.

We get all sorts of questions..do they shed? Hah, watch a gentle wind blow across his back. Do they require much grooming?...yep, 1x a month professionally and every other day at home. Do they play?...yep, at times, but only when they want, not when i want.

Actually had Amber out the other day...she is 3 months and about 16 lbs. Someone asked if she would get any bigger. Chuckled at that one.
qbear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by qbear »

Welp, guess no one can relate to me :( Allow me to explain...

I'm not saying I'm not a proud chow owner. I'm also not saying that I don't want people to get chows because of their stereotypes. In fact, Hampton has triumphed some mentioned stereotypes about chows-- he LOVES LOVES fetch and sits, gives paw, and lays whenever we give the hand signal (even when he's in the middle of playing).

I am only 21 years old with friends in the same age range and no one around me has ever seen a chow. I tell everyone who spends time with Hampton about the breed but I'm still worried about the friends of friends who only see his pictures. It's true, all breeds are abused, but it seems to me people are more taken by chows because of their general fluffiness and teddy-bear like quality. I guess what I mean is, in my experience, a lot of people just see the fluff and don't think twice about the million things it takes to have and correctly raise a pup.

Also, it pains me to watch someone curse at their kids, drag them around and then fawn over Hampton and ask what type of breed he is. People like this have approached me countless times. I'm not one to judge, but I'm not comfortable with them wanting to bring home a chow (or any dog for that matter), and I don't think any amount of lecturing will stop them.

To emphasize, take what giseleassink said-- "Probably because the first owner wanted a cute puppy"
and times that by all of the strangers who find out about cute chows and all of my friends taking pictures of Hampton and all of their friends seeing these pictures... They all want a cute puppy (and we all know chows are especially cute) and they wouldn't think twice about buying a chow for $300 from a backyard breeder or puppy mill.
- Hampton's Mama + Papa

Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

$300 at a breeder or puppy mill? I've never seen a chow puppy from either for less than $500 and the average is $800. That's the one of the problems with byb or puppy mills there is no way to tell by price what kind of place the puppy comes from. Only experience and knowing the facts and questions to ask will teach you that.

I'm more concerned with the private puppy mills, like the one in GA that two years ago simply dumbed over 30 of their chows on a road and left them to die. 5 did. But the others were rescued and the same rescue went in and got the others out too. Some of them are still at the rescue and just now finding their forever homes more than 2 years later. We can't stop puppy mills and backyard breeders by trying to deny the dog type/breed. We can only do it but emphazing the need for doing your research, by educating people to where they should get a chow. I tell would be new time owners that they should adobt a grown chow with good manners from a rebutable rescue. West Texase Chow Rescue or Chow Chow rescue of Central New York are two I would highly recommend to new chow owners, because they know chows and can show the potential new owner a chow that is typical of the breed, but has manners and will be a good first chow. I adopted 4 adult males and 1 year old female before I felt confident enough with chows to adopt my puppy. And Dreamdancer is a dream, he is sweet tempered, loves to meet new people of every size and likes dogs too. Also remember your little one won't be a puppy soon, he'll be an adult and then your friends will be able to see what a chow really is, yes they are the cutest puppies ever, (in my opinion) but they are chows, stuborn, independent, beautiful and noble.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
lilyandlola
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by lilyandlola »

Oh down here i have certainly seen them online for $300. i dont think the original poster is trying to say that price determines quality of chow but that anyone who wants a chow and who wouldnt care about asking questions anyway would be able to get one for cheap

qbear i would just tell them "oh he's just a baby bear" or "oh he's just a baby lion" :P and if they don't accept the joke and really want to know, you can take that opportunity to talk to them about the breed/ remind them what it takes to be a furparent
Victory wrote:$300 at a breeder or puppy mill? I've never seen a chow puppy from either for less than $500 and the average is $800. That's the one of the problems with byb or puppy mills there is no way to tell by price what kind of place the puppy comes from. Only experience and knowing the facts and questions to ask will teach you that.

I'm more concerned with the private puppy mills, like the one in GA that two years ago simply dumbed over 30 of their chows on a road and left them to die. 5 did. But the others were rescued and the same rescue went in and got the others out too. Some of them are still at the rescue and just now finding their forever homes more than 2 years later. We can't stop puppy mills and backyard breeders by trying to deny the dog type/breed. We can only do it but emphazing the need for doing your research, by educating people to where they should get a chow. I tell would be new time owners that they should adobt a grown chow with good manners from a rebutable rescue. West Texase Chow Rescue or Chow Chow rescue of Central New York are two I would highly recommend to new chow owners, because they know chows and can show the potential new owner a chow that is typical of the breed, but has manners and will be a good first chow. I adopted 4 adult males and 1 year old female before I felt confident enough with chows to adopt my puppy. And Dreamdancer is a dream, he is sweet tempered, loves to meet new people of every size and likes dogs too. Also remember your little one won't be a puppy soon, he'll be an adult and then your friends will be able to see what a chow really is, yes they are the cutest puppies ever, (in my opinion) but they are chows, stuborn, independent, beautiful and noble.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

I understood the original point, and the concern.

There really isnt much else you can do though. It's been long known that Chows are the cutest of pups, and the intrigue about their black tongues and 'aloof' personalities attract 1st time owners that know nothing else about the breed.

Educating people about their quirks and personalities is all you can do to discourage those who aren't really committed or a good fit. Cheap puppies are cheap puppies regardless of breed, and people that are going to toss good money only to find out dogs are work are going to do so anyway.

I am a very experienced owner of Chows, and recently got my 1st female. Always had males before and there is a difference. I have asked myself more than once what i got myself into. But i am patient and understand what is needed to turn her into what I consider an acceptable family member. And in typical lady fashion, she wants to disagree with me...she is currently sitting in her crate, scratching and clawing, whining and chewing on the bars while my male 18 month old looks at her and wonders what the big deal is. They can both watch tv and have their humans within 10 feet.
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

Our Kodi is a GA chow rescue well actually his mom was pregant when they brought her up to NY...we adopted him from Chow Chow rescue of NY he was 7-1/2 weeks old when we got him..he will be 2 yrs old May 2nd...We love him he is a great dog!!! My wife and i will always Rescue a chow next time we get one..Actaully our Female chow is a rescue too...She was from PA...tho..
Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida
wokman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by wokman »

Where ever a Chow Chow is from; Breeder, Shelter, City Pound they are all rescues to me and all have a 50/50 chance of finding the right home for themselves. You cannot change the world by yourself and cannot save them all but each one saved is one less lost. Direct your friends to this site and tell them to read the triumphs and tragedies of being a Pet owner. As you said it is a commitment, and when you live it; the reality can be difficult but also rewarding. :wink:
sara
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by sara »

giseleassink wrote:The Breeder abuse is already happening not just with chows but with all kind of dogs…

I suggest you to answer it is a Chow Chow and I’m sure you can find one in one of the shelters … And maybe you will get someone to visit a shelter and maybe they will not find a chow there but some other dog and they will fall in love with it and give it a good forever home…
I found my chow in a shelter, she was a year old and she was not in my plans as I has just adopted a 10 week old chow/Aussi mix.. My chow has some mild food aggression and leash aggression.. Probably because the first owner wanted a cute puppy and did not make his homework on this kind of dog…

Sharing the pic of my two babies!! :)
WELL SAID !!! jUST WHAT i WOULD HAVE SAID, BUT YOU SAID IT FOR ME IN A PARTICULARLY GRAND WAY
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

I get those questions alright! My answers?
Its a chowchow, now dont get fooled by the cuddly appearance, this breed should be handled with care since this breed is a natural guardian so it is aloof. Must be dedicated to rear the pup up quite correctly or you'd end up with a misunderstood dog who does not trust you anymore.
Yea I cringed when I hear them want to buy one. So before they went away I make sure I have told them the pros and cons of owning a chow.
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

I was never ashamed to be asked what breed Tippsy was. Yes, people wanted one because they're cute, but I went into the whole shpiel about chows and made a point of stating they're not a breed for everyone and people need to do research.

However, all too often I'm met with negative comments about chows... I've even had people ask me to take their chows and chow mixes "off their hands" because they "can't handle them"....
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix