question about chow chow type

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

khoa1708
Rank 0
Rank 0

question about chow chow type

Post by khoa1708 »

i am thinking of getting a chow chow puppy (maybe 2 lol) from a breeder for about $450/each.
the thing I am wondering is i want a chow chow that looks like below

the pics that the breeder posted of the puppies she has looks like this:

and the one of the parents look like:

am i going to get the dog that I want from this? can you tell what the dog will look like when they are just puppies?
from reading on the forums here I think I am looking for a closed type chow chow with rough coat?
lweiher
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: question about chow chow type

Post by lweiher »

I'm no expert, but the puppies usually look a lot like their parents...so I'm doubtful you'll get a brown nosed puppy, but I suppose anything is possible, however....you can't go wrong with cutie like that! Good luck!
applebear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by applebear »

Often looking at the parents gives you a idea of what the pups will look like. Going on just the parent below...I'll be honest, I question if the dog is even purebred, though he/she does looks very close...it's just unusual for them to retain that much black on the face and the muzzle is pretty narrow and long, even for a open faced chow. I personally would look for a breeder that health tests and good temperaments before appearance, but to answer your question...I don't think the bottom pup is going to look much like the top pictured dog you like.

Just a little side note, I noticed you said maybe 2...if you decide to do that [I realize you could of been joking too, so don't take this the wrong way :)], do a search online and check out littermate syndrome. Best of luck in whatever you decide...don't be afraid to shop around a little bit or even check out rescues. Good luck! :)
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

The puppy looks like it's a combination of the two types (closed faced and open faced). I highly doubt it'll look anything like the chow you posted. The parent you posted a picture of an open faced chow. The complete opposite of what you've stated you want.

In all honesty, you should be buying for good temperament and health; not looks.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
khoa1708
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by khoa1708 »

but am I right in saying that if I want a dog like the one in the first pic, I am looking for a closed face and rough cough?
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

I will agree with some of the other responses. The parent looks to be either a mix, or is very young in the picture. If the pic is current, i have concerns that breeding took place too early. Vast majority of Chows do not retain the mask into adulthood.

The 'subject' dog is a closed faced, rough coated chow. For reference, its pretty easy to tell the difference between a rough and a smooth. Closed face Chows will have a shorter, broader muzzle than open faced, who will resemble a GSD in the muzzle area (hmm, sounds like the parent pic). Pretty open description, and there are lots of in-betweens. A chow that resembles a pug in the muzzle area is not desireable.

As for the puppy pic, without knowing the age, its tough to tell. Chow muzzles begin to experience outward growth at about 9 - 10 weeks. Before that they are almost always scrunched. If the pup is any younger than that, it will most definitely not be closed faced.

Chow pricing is very different in different parts of the world, however the price point you are at is at the very low end just about anywhere. Quality breeders in the US would not even offer a dog at that price. My guess is that you are looking at a sub-par quality dog if purebred, which begs health and genetic questions.
khoa1708
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by khoa1708 »

Rory's Dad wrote:I will agree with some of the other responses. The parent looks to be either a mix, or is very young in the picture. If the pic is current, i have concerns that breeding took place too early. Vast majority of Chows do not retain the mask into adulthood.

The 'subject' dog is a closed faced, rough coated chow. For reference, its pretty easy to tell the difference between a rough and a smooth. Closed face Chows will have a shorter, broader muzzle than open faced, who will resemble a GSD in the muzzle area (hmm, sounds like the parent pic). Pretty open description, and there are lots of in-betweens. A chow that resembles a pug in the muzzle area is not desireable.

As for the puppy pic, without knowing the age, its tough to tell. Chow muzzles begin to experience outward growth at about 9 - 10 weeks. Before that they are almost always scrunched. If the pup is any younger than that, it will most definitely not be closed faced.

Chow pricing is very different in different parts of the world, however the price point you are at is at the very low end just about anywhere. Quality breeders in the US would not even offer a dog at that price. My guess is that you are looking at a sub-par quality dog if purebred, which begs health and genetic questions.
thank you for yours and everyone's responses. I will do more research and get more info before making any decision.
fyi, i was looking at dogs from this site http://www.nextdaypets.com/directory/se ... pe=1&ps=30
it lists these puppies are registered and everything, TEX AKC #
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Not familiar witht he site, but i took a quick look. Most of the dogs pictured are not the actual dogs, and have a disclaimer 'from a previous litter'.

Further down their lists, they dont have the disclaimer, but the photos dont seem to match the dog ages.

Since it looks like you are in Texas, check out ChinaDoll Chows or Intatto. ChinaDoll currently has a black female pup and Intatto has a litter coming in a week or so. I have spoken with Intatto about pups but have never purchased from them. No dealing with ChinaDoll, but both have a good rep as far as i can see.

Mind you, they are pricier options.
yatta5000
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by yatta5000 »

1. I will agree with Rory's Dad as far as the pricing. That is the VERY lowest I've seen for a chow. I'm not saying that its a bad idea but being sure that it a quality dog is important as it may cause you more expenses in medical bills later. But I do believe that the parent is a pure chow...maybe young but pure. (Masks are just rare in adults)

2. I think this may be interesting for you to check out since you are in the looking phase.
http://andruska.wordpress.com/2011/11/1 ... chow-chow/
Before I got my Chows I was told that Chows are lazy and cant jump from here to there because of there legs and xyz. I'm not sure about other Chows but mine are the more slender types (as seen in the article) and they are high in energy, play and run jump...the whole 9 but they are a lot of work...they tests your devotion to them and in turn give it back to you. Awesome dogs just do you research first

3. And lastly, I know personally a breeder in Dayton,OH. (www.dmfarm.com) . I've heard people say that they are a puppy mill...but puppy mills don't get positive recognition from people like Martha Strewart who LOVES Chows and give 3 YEAR health guarantees. awesome right..3 years. Anyhow, all there Chows are well mannered, I have personally been inside the kennels with every dog (adult) and the mothers allowed me and play with their pups. Chows get a bad rep because of their lack of socialization but there isn't one chow from the (roughly) 20 chow you cannot pet.

Good luck and I hope I've helped
applebear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by applebear »

Rory's Dad wrote:
Mind you, they are pricier options.
That really depends how you look at it. Assuming they [chinadoll] are ethical breeders who health test and for health/temperament, they are less likely to produce dogs with those health/temperament problems they are trying to avoid. The breeders from that 'pets next day' site appear to be byb and mills. I read through that breeders description and there was zero mention of health testing. Lots and lots of talk of vet health checks and guarantees [and my guess is they want to mislead you into believe these are the same things, they aren't], inspections and god [it was actually the first time I saw god used as a selling point, but ok]...but no mention of testing. A couple things to notice, being registered isn't stating anything but the dog is purebred. It doesn't really serve a purpose unless you are planning to show or breed. My bet is the health guarantee is limited and most serious genetic health problems aren't going to pop up in that amount of time. When you start adding up the vet bills from health problems that were carelessly bred, you find out you spent a lot more than just going to that breeder who cost another thousand for her health tested pups. Does it guarantee absolutely no health problems ever...sadly, no. But a ethical breeder will not breed a dog that doesn't pass the health tests, lowering the chances of such problems being passed down genetically.

If it sounds like I'm being negative, I'm not trying to. The fact is our shelters are bursting and dogs/cats are being put down in the millions. When you buy from a byb/mill, you just supported their reason to breed more. I'm all for getting the look of a dog you like, but don't sacrifice health/temperament for it...pay the extra, get the quality. If you can't afford the quality, look into rescue...I see TONS of chow rescues down in the Texas area. Give them a look, you may just find that perfect companion. ;)
cinziao
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by cinziao »

I purchased a puppy from a breeder and had to return it. I've learned so much and I wished I had done more research before. An excellent breeder is Tony from Royal chows in Rhode Island. I've met him and his chows and they have GREAT temperaments. his chows are in between open and closed he does OFA testing and is a top notch breeder!!! He only breeds Periodically. I got my chow from a shelter and Tony helped me . My chow is open faced. She is GREAT!!!!!
i agree looks are not as important as temperament!