General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Staysh
Rank 0
Rank 0

New chowchow mix owner

Post by Staysh »

Hello,

I was wondering what are something to look forward to with my new chow chow mix. He is about 11 weeks old now named Lou. We got him as a stray in a park. He was soo little at the time and we were uncertain about keeping him but feel in love with him. We have looked at many sites about chow chow's temperament and things to look out for but wanted to ask all you guys because you are owners of chow chows. The vet said he is a mix but chow is the dominant breed in him. I guess I am just wondering what are some behaviors I should watch out for and what are some of the best training techniques? And any other general insight on the breed. thank you very much :D
tabate45
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: New chowchow mix owner

Post by tabate45 »

Welcome to the Chow world. It's a bit different than the other dog worlds. Please take time to read alot of the posts here in this forum. You will see that all our furkids are so much alike and yet so different than other breeds. A chow/owner relationship is built on trust and respect. They are easy to train as far as potty goes as they don't like to soil their home. They always want to know what you are doing and will be involved in everything you are doing. Laundry is fun when they are pups..lol..so is making beds.
Chows will not tolerate any type of abuse from their human. A stern word is basically all that is required to get their attention and hurt their feelings. A scolded child's face is what you will see. They are truly devoted.
You didn't say what the pup is mixed with. That will have alot to do with it's training. Chows are very smart and very stubborn. If they don't see a personal need to, say come when you call; they will come when they feel like it.
Don't feed your pup junk dog food. They don't digest grains very well. Chicken & Rice type formulas are best. Very Natural foods, Blue Buffalo, etc.
I hope this is helpful. Just love your puppy and it will love you back. Just like kids, they need to know who is in charge, and that has to be you. Good luck and post pictures soon. We all love to see the dogs!!

Tracey
Staysh
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Staysh »

Thank you for the great info. I have noticed that he loves to be involved in everything but I love it! I take everywhere that I can with me :). I have also noticed how smart he is as well as how stubborn. lol We have been feeding him Authority, from petsmart. Is that a good brand? He seems to love it. As for what he is mixed with we are not really sure. We were thinking black lab but the vet said it is still hard to tell. I actually just bought a doggy DNA test online because I was so curious about it. So excited about getting that :)
Oh and here is a picture of that little guy. Any ideas what other breed he might be?
-Stysha
Attachments
69620_425991644150334_1867192792_n.jpg
69620_425991644150334_1867192792_n.jpg (46.76 KiB) Viewed 4009 times
551479_425059520910213_1057651633_n.jpg
551479_425059520910213_1057651633_n.jpg (94.66 KiB) Viewed 4009 times
wokman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by wokman »

Looks like part Black Labrador. What color is his tongue? Great that you could take him in. =D=
tabate45
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by tabate45 »

Yep, looks like a lab. What a wonderful combo for a mix. He's a beauty!!
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Welcome to the world of chow's! :lol: I agree on looking like he's mixed with lab. Just like my Jasper.

I feed my boy Taste of the Wild. We have to avoid formulas that have beef and chicken in them because he's allergic to both of those. Those also happen to be the most common protein source allergies.

Also, with him having floppy ears, be very watchful of ear infections; which labs are very prone to.

This was my boy, Jasper, at about 12 weeks. He's 4 year's old now.

Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
giseleassink
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by giseleassink »

My biggest advice is introducing him to all kinds of dogs you can as he is still a puppy… I adopt my chowchow when she was a year old… this last 8 months is being interesting.. my dog will try attack every single dog she finds on the street… but she is not violent at all, it is definitely a chow thing that has to be worked when they are puppies… I have another dog a chow/aussi/lab mix and she is 8 months we have no issues at all they love each other as sisters.. we can bring other dogs at home and introduce them really slow and she will accept it…
But it does get old every time we find another dog in the street she will pull and bark at them, besides the looks that I get from other owners OH WELL … I’m finally getting my way with her, “Happy voice” so she is getting able to ignore the other dog and pay attention of what I want from her…
Besides that she is so smart and loyal! I love my dogs soooo much!
ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ski »

He is adorable. Good for you for giving this sweet dog a home.

I, too, have a black chow mix. His name is Frisco and is part Newfie and chow. We also have a purebred cinnamon chow, Loki. They are great buddies. Both are rescues . Loki was found wandering in a parking lot andFrisco was rescued from a kill shelter. It is true that chows are not like other dogs. You will not find a more loyal companion!! Welcome!!
Staysh
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Staysh »

Thank you all for the advice and posts. I thought he was part lab too. Tippsy'smom Jasper looks soo much like my Lou it is crazy. I was wondering how big Jasper is now at 4 years old? I am so happy I found this wonderful community of fellow chow owners, you guys are great!
Staysh
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Staysh »

Oh and I forgot, his tongue is almost completely black underneath and pink with a few small black spots on the top.
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Jasper's on the large side. :lol: When I had him at the vet 3 weeks ago he was 96.7 lbs. He's a giant teddy bear. :lol: I've seen a number of lab/chow mixes on the smaller side as well though.

When Jazz was little, his tongue was almost solid pink and only had a small spot of purple. Now, its mostly purple on top with a few pink blotches and the underside is pink with purple spots.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix