Should i give my Chow Chow a Lion Cut?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

chowchow1981
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chowchow1981 »

Is there any members that has given there Chow a Lion Cut? If so will you please post pics
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Should i give my Chow Chow a Lion Cut?

Post by Me & Tess »

NO! But I do remember my dad giving our Chow mix a "Lion Cut" (when I was a little girl) & he hid under cedar chest for days!
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Don't do it. It's ridiculous looking and many of the dogs I've seen sporting it look embarrassed. Plus, shaving a chow just makes them hotter during the warmer months. Their fur traps cool air close to their skin to keep them cool. In the long run, you're doing more harm than good.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
tabate45
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by tabate45 »

No!!!! Absolutely borders on cruelty. If you need to shave something, shave your head #-o
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rio »

Everywhere I have read about Chows there are different opinions on what to feed, how to train etc. The one and only thing I have ever seen that is of the same opinion, is never shave a chow. Unless medically advised to do so, the people responsible for coming up with that stupid lion-cut should be shaved head to toe and have a huge ridiculous wig put on their heads and paraded around the streets. Just my opinion though, well the last part anyway :)
Blackbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Blackbear »

Agree with all of the above. If you want to shave your dog get a poodle.
wokman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by wokman »

I read in a book on Chows that said if you shave the wooly undercoat the fur that grows back may be different, coarse and clumpy instead of silky and separated. Abby, my recently adopted female Chow had a Lion cut and her hind quarter fur is not like fur on any of the Chows I have known. I agree with all the other responders, DO NOT SHAVE unless for medical reasons. I have always heard people refer to Chows as little Bears not Lions; STUPID. :-L
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

No! No!
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

No.Just.No.
gebower
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by gebower »

Totally agree. Although they can have one BEAUTIFUL mane as my Max has. That is not to say trim everything else down. In the overall trim, EASY on the rest. Max has a big mane but, he's not trimmed down to the nib on the rest of his body. His mane scared the heck out of two big pit bulls that scattered as a guy was walking them down the street. LOL. I think they didn't know if he was a dog but, a lion. Let them strut their stuff. Only Chows!!!
If you trim them WAY down then they don't look a WHOLE lot bigger than they are. Although Max weighed in at 70 lbs. Hair and all. My boy, love him.
Gene
Leeds01
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Leeds01 »

DO IT! Image
hayleedog
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by hayleedog »

When I walk my chow Hannah I've been asked several times why I don't shave her to look like a lion. My short answer is always that shaving a Chow isn't recommended by the experts and that their fur protects their skin.

But aside from that, When I got Hannah at 16mo she came from a rough situation and aside from her other psychological issues she had, she was also suffering from bad skin issues as well. She had bald spots all over her back, legs and tail. It took me 2 years to get her fur to grow back in, why on earth would I shave her?

If you are shaving your chow to keep him/her cool for the summer there are better ways to do that, as many people have said, the fur protects them from extreme heat. Check with your vet for some suggestions.

If you are considering shaving him/her for vanity reasons my advice is let him keep his dignity and resist :D
sara
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by sara »

As has been said, No. 1. A chow should only be shaved for medical reasons. They have a coat for a reason
No. 2. It looks bloody stupid, and is incredibly sad to do such a thing to an amazingly natural coat of a chow,

I think it seems to be an activity that happens in the states as I don't think its the type of thing we would do here in the UK, I may be wrong,but wherever its done I think its completely wrong, there coat is protection for warmth and to help keep cool. For goodness sake shave your own hair if you want to try and make yourself look like something you aren't but please leave the poor chow alone, a chow should look like a chow not a poodle gone wrong!
applebear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by applebear »

I think most that do this are uneducated and lazy. I see those doing it who don't want the hassle of the grooming and think it's 'cute.' Though the look doesn't appeal to me at all, I am much more concerned with the natural protection being stripped for it.
giseleassink
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by giseleassink »

Nooo don’t do it… MY poor Mika when we adopted her we had to take her directly to the pet shop… her coat was in a really bad shape I had to argue really bad with the lady to not shave her, still she give her a sort off lion cut… I hate it.. Even today 10 months after you still can see it..

The pic is rigth after we got her from the pet place...
Attachments
MIka First day at home
MIka First day at home
photo.JPG (143.93 KiB) Viewed 12232 times